It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Scheduling
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:04 am 

So I think I have finally put the Valpo game behind me enough to start to look behind and ahead....So lets start with the SCHEDULE this with the assumption that AD Watson did his best to get LU the best schedule possible...My question is what is the best NON-Con for our program....For example we do not want to play all the top 10 teams in the nation....but maybe how many.....? How many games that are for sure wins where we know we can get some experience,, try some things....Also who does the fan base want to play? Where would we like an away game that we could travel to? Where is our largest out of Chicago alumni base and who could we schedule there.??? Are there teams we put an X through? What kind of home/away ratio? What should be the main factors to consider in building the best non-con? I remember the 77-78 season when we played Minnesota, Indiana State with Larry Bird(we won) and Georgetown all in the gym....loved it....landscape has changed probably would never happen again.

Post subject: Re: Scheduling
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:48 am 

I'll have to do more thinking into what an ideal schedule would be, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Porter try to schedule some road games for the Seniors like they've done in the past. That means I'd expect a return trip to IUPUI (Tate Hall) as well as possible games in the Atlanta area (Clemons) and maybe a game in Texas (Pipkins). The only tough thing about a Pipkins game is that the closest D1 school to where he's from is UT Arlington and even that's 2 hours away.

Also try as they might, the coaches can't always get other teams to schedule us which, like when they tried to get a Texas game for Aundre Jackson a few years ago. But we got the last laugh on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:58 am 

Isn't Arlington just between Dallas and Fort Worth?When I go to Fort Worth on business I land at DFW and pass Arlington about thirty/forty minutes on the way to Fort Worth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
Isn't Arlington just between Dallas and Fort Worth?

Yes, but Pipkins is from Paris which is a town of 25,000 about a 100 miles outside of DFW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:31 pm 

anybody want to go back and play any of our old Horizon buddies??? or do you think they have quarantined us ? Would love to go back and play UMW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 pm 

Only one I would want to play from the horizon is UIC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:01 pm 

WestCoastFan wrote:
25yearstreak wrote:
Isn't Arlington just between Dallas and Fort Worth?

Yes, but Pipkins is from Paris which is a town of 25,000 about a 100 miles outside of DFW

SMU is in Dallas. Oklahoma isn't too far away. Stephen F. Austin is also nearby.

As for Tate Hall, how about playing former conference rival Butler at Hinkle for the first time since 2012?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 pm 

I don't think Watson has many strings to pull with scheduling except maybe the potential United Center game next season. Just about all D1 basketball scheduling is done by the coaching staff.

A somewhat aside point to scheduling:
If the MVC does expand, adding just Murray State as the 11th team is probably the best scenario than adding any kind of 12 with them. Sure, SLU, Dayton, or Belmont would all be really good adds, but all 3 have been consistently no on joining. I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

The downside to 11 (basketball wise at least, can't really speak for the other sports) is it will most certainly screw up the Arch Madness schedule and experience a little. Only 5 teams get a bye through to Friday, meaning over half the conference would be playing on Thursday including a game on Thursday afternoon. Given how much this tournament means for our conference image as a marquee event, it's worth the thought before taking this move.

The positives? We go to a 20 game conference schedule like most P5 conferences now and replace 2 really bad non-con games for basically a home-and-home with a consistently good mid-major with a somewhat national brand and a recent 2nd overall NBA draft pick. If I had to bet, I think we still have the non D-1 game unfortunately, but we can take away 2 of either UC Davis, IUPUI, Coppin or Norfolk State. Also, 12 teams without a 22 game conference schedule could see Elgin getting a little too cute preseason with scheduling trying to make sure the better teams have better quad wins. That's a recipe for disaster given how hard it is to accurately predict how good every team will be. SIU had a great season, but I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if they looked as noncompetitive as Porter's team from his first few years here. Conversely, Illinois State has had some great recent history but had a down season comparatively. How many people thought they were going to be 5-13 and solidly in 9th place this season? And don't get started with Evansville's year...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:30 pm 

We need to take smart buy games at mid to lower level P5s. We should push Indiana or Butler to buy us because of Tate Hall, SMU to buy us because of Pipkins, Georgia or Georgia Tech to buy us because of Cleamons, and Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa Srate, Oregon State or Kansas State to buy us because they need to keep their SOS up.

We need to think about PAYING SOMETHING to bring better mid majors to Gentile for one shot deals... Like Belmont, SFA, San Francisco, NM State, etc.

We need to lean on Jesuit schools, and even lobby national Jesuit organizations to help put pressure on Creighton, Gonzaga, USF, Santa Clara, Holy Cross, Georgetown, BC, Xavier, Fairfield, Marquette, etc. to agree to a cross-conference scheduling agreement

Leverage scheduling... tell Northwestern, DePaul, UIC, and Notre Dame that we will not schedule them in any non-revenue sports unless one of them does a home and home every three years.

Push the MVC to do what Elgin said this weekend---- get an agreement with the WCC or another conference to boost scheduling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:39 pm 

JCT wrote:
We need to take smart buy games at mid to lower level P5.

We need to think about PAYING SOMETHING to bring better mid majors to Gentile for one shot deals... Like Belmont, SFA, San Francisco, NM State, etc.

We need to lean on Jesuit schools, and even lobby national Jesuit organizations to help put pressure on Creighton, Gonzaga, USF, Santa Clara, Holy Cross, Georgetown, BC, Xavier, Fairfield, Marquette, etc. to agree to a cross-conference scheduling agreement

Leverage scheduling... tell Northwestern, DePaul, UIC, and Notre Dame that we will not schedule them in any non-revenue sports unless one of them does a home and home every three years.

Push the MVC to do what Elgin said this weekend---- get an agreement with the WCC or another conference to boost scheduling.

Agree on most points. Kinda agree with the mid majors mainly because the Furman deal is turning into a disaster, especially if we lose to them next year. While I agree with the Jesuit point, I doubt we would need to pressure Fairfield or Holy Cross to play at Gentile. We could probably buy either of them.

That said, a lot of this is predicated on Porter swapping the non D-1 for a buy game, even if it's a ridiculous game like at Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. From a numbers standpoint, we don't lose money on the non D-1 game and instead cash a $100k check. It's basically over a $100k swing in cash flow, which would allow us to invest more without having to ask for a bigger budget (which always comes with pushback in any walk of life regardless of the organization).