It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Scheduling
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 pm 

I agree we don't need to buy Fairfield or Holy Cross.... but right now we ARE buying Norfolk State, Coppin State, and others. Let's buy better teams, and maybe that fixes other problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 am 

JCT wrote:
I agree we don't need to buy Fairfield or Holy Cross.... but right now we ARE buying Norfolk State, Coppin State, and others. Let's buy better teams, and maybe that fixes other problems.

This seems like a much better route than going around looking for a bunch of road games we could easily lose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
JCT wrote:
We need to take smart buy games at mid to lower level P5.

We need to think about PAYING SOMETHING to bring better mid majors to Gentile for one shot deals... Like Belmont, SFA, San Francisco, NM State, etc.

We need to lean on Jesuit schools, and even lobby national Jesuit organizations to help put pressure on Creighton, Gonzaga, USF, Santa Clara, Holy Cross, Georgetown, BC, Xavier, Fairfield, Marquette, etc. to agree to a cross-conference scheduling agreement

Leverage scheduling... tell Northwestern, DePaul, UIC, and Notre Dame that we will not schedule them in any non-revenue sports unless one of them does a home and home every three years.

Push the MVC to do what Elgin said this weekend---- get an agreement with the WCC or another conference to boost scheduling.

Agree on most points. Kinda agree with the mid majors mainly because the Furman deal is turning into a disaster, especially if we lose to them next year. While I agree with the Jesuit point, I doubt we would need to pressure Fairfield or Holy Cross to play at Gentile. We could probably buy either of them.

That said, a lot of this is predicated on Porter swapping the non D-1 for a buy game, even if it's a ridiculous game like at Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. From a numbers standpoint, we don't lose money on the non D-1 game and instead cash a $100k check. It's basically over a $100k swing in cash flow, which would allow us to invest more without having to ask for a bigger budget (which always comes with pushback in any walk of life regardless of the organization).

I disagree re: Furman. We should play other good mid-Majors. Furman doesn't have the reputation for success that A-10 or AAC schools have but the last two years they've clearly been a good team.

As far a the Jesuits go, what is the point of Garanzini being the head of all North American Jesuit education if he can't help us schedule some games with the big boys? Seems like he got sent to Rome and completely forgot about what really matters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 am 

Father Garanzini was a big picture guy and took his vision and rebuilt the university.
As for athletics he knew it was important but did not get involved in the details.
I saw him at a volleyball game several years back and we discussed men's basketball. He said we must improve it and what could we do to do so.
I mentioned to him travel was an issue and we needed to "charter more". He said, "what's that?"
I explained and he said ok we will do that. The next day I happened to see him and he said he had just approved five charters.
My point is: If someone asked him, he would probably make it happen.
He was a person who could make things happen. Look at the arena. He outlined that vision at a alumni event at at the Cuneo Mansion one Fall Sunday.
It took four years but it happened.
If he were President during the Final Four, he would have exploited that opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:58 pm 

Steve McClain was fired. Maybe the new UIC coach will want to play us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm 

1. I have thought for years UIC was just waiting for the right guy.....or administration....lots of pluses.....also is this a signal that the Valley is after UIC?
2. I get why dp wont play us,,,losing to us at this point could be the straw that breaks the camels back for them,,,,,but how about Marquette,,,,what is the deal there,,,,Is it them or us ? ..Man I remember a game against those guys at the International Ampitheatre,on Halsted next to the Stock Yards,,,that place was more old school than the old Chicago Stadium....just had every possible smell you would associate with a Ring Lardner novel.cows,cigars, beers,urine..Al McGuire was still coaching , Hubert Humprey got nominated there,,,The Beatles played there and the Ramblers played Marquette there.....We used to play Marquette twice a year...for a long time....now they are too good for us?

/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1987-11-29-8703290884-story.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:13 am 

There was the game the year after Marquette won it all where Andre Wakefield kept Butch Lee in check as the Ramblers upset Marquette.
That was the culmination of three wins in ten days against Georgetown and Indiana St at Alumni Gym. Ironically Valpo beat us before those two wins at Alumni as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:46 pm 

Obviously we should be scheduling really good mid-major teams like Furman; my point was more tongue in cheek given the fact that they seem to have our number.

In Porter's defense, some of those MEAC schools are better competition than a team like Holy Cross. HC is a long way away from the Bob Cousy days. They were 3-29 this year.

The overarching point is you need to be open for a big time buy game because it generates the revenue needed to buy better teams. I get why Porter doesn't like scheduling them, but most everybody can live with the loss.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:12 pm 

The Question is, if you want an at-large, (which I personally believe is an impossibility next year regardless, but for arguments sake), what do you want the pundits saying about our team in the beginning of March? I think you have to play winning teams from as many conferences as possible.

You’ve got 9 games to fill that you have control over. I’d want:

Game 1 - FURMAN - Home
- these guys should continue to be in the top half of their conference, and despite our problems with them, it’s not a bad game to have on the schedule. It is not a throw-away game (like Coppin State should’ve been), and a win helps us. Plus it’s one more home game we don’t have to try to fill.

Game 2 - Murray State (or Belmont)
- these guys are chomping at the bitt (no pun intended) to get into the valley and they seem like they’re willing to play as many valley teams as they can to prove they should be there. This should be a priority to get on our schedule. They are gonna win their league and go to the tourney next year. Make it happen - Preferably at home.

Game 3 - A Top 3 MAC team - Buffalo is coming off another 20 win season, and maybe Whitesell might be interested in some redemption. Both porter and Jim worked for Majaris. Maybe Porter can get this game on the schedule. If not, shoot for somebody in the conference with a high probability of a winning record.

Game 4 - Northern Kentucky (or Wright State)
- grab top tier horizon league team and hope they finish in the top 100-120.

Game 5 - Iona (at home)
- This game would be PR only. Try to schedule this game early and get Pitino into Gentile. Local media will come for it and hopefully it gets us some early press buzz. Pitch it to Rick as a chance to recruit Chicago and play in a sold-out arena (which it would be).

Game 6 - DePaul (or Northwestern)
- Porter needs to get public and vocal about getting one of these games.

Game 7 - ACC buy game.
- whatever we can get.

game 8 - VCU
- we should be a 20+ win team and maybe they would want us to try and build a resume. They are up and coming.

Game 9 - UIC
- I miss this game. I want it to come back.

My schedule would be:
Furman (home)
Murray State (home)
Buffalo (home)
Iona (home)
Bowling Green (home)
VCU (away)
North Carolina (away)
UIC (“away”)
DePaul/NW (away)
Dayton - MTE
Charlotte - MTE
Missouri - MTE
(MTE teams I don’t want -Pitt, penn, Utah State)

I could see us going 10-2 or 8-5 with that schedule, but either way, I think it would give us a decent NET and prepare us for the Valley. It’s probably pretty ambitious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
The Question is, if you want an at-large, (which I personally believe is an impossibility next year regardless, but for arguments sake), what do you want the pundits saying about our team in the beginning of March? I think you have to play winning teams from as many conferences as possible.

You’ve got 9 games to fill that you have control over. I’d want:

Game 1 - FURMAN - Home
- these guys should continue to be in the top half of their conference, and despite our problems with them, it’s not a bad game to have on the schedule. It is not a throw-away game (like Coppin State should’ve been), and a win helps us. Plus it’s one more home game we don’t have to try to fill.

Game 2 - Murray State (or Belmont)
- these guys are chomping at the bitt (no pun intended) to get into the valley and they seem like they’re willing to play as many valley teams as they can to prove they should be there. This should be a priority to get on our schedule. They are gonna win their league and go to the tourney next year. Make it happen - Preferably at home.

Game 3 - A Top 3 MAC team - Buffalo is coming off another 20 win season, and maybe Whitesell might be interested in some redemption. Both porter and Jim worked for Majaris. Maybe Porter can get this game on the schedule. If not, shoot for somebody in the conference with a high probability of a winning record.

Game 4 - Northern Kentucky (or Wright State)
- grab top tier horizon league team and hope they finish in the top 100-120.

Game 5 - Iona (at home)
- This game would be PR only. Try to schedule this game early and get Pitino into Gentile. Local media will come for it and hopefully it gets us some early press buzz. Pitch it to Rick as a chance to recruit Chicago and play in a sold-out arena (which it would be).

Game 6 - DePaul (or Northwestern)
- Porter needs to get public and vocal about getting one of these games.

Game 7 - ACC buy game.
- whatever we can get.

game 8 - VCU
- we should be a 20+ win team and maybe they would want us to try and build a resume. They are up and coming.

Game 9 - UIC
- I miss this game. I want it to come back.

My schedule would be:
Furman (home)
Murray State (home)
Buffalo (home)
Iona (home)
Bowling Green (home)
VCU (away)
North Carolina (away)
UIC (“away”)
DePaul/NW (away)
Dayton - MTE
Charlotte - MTE
Missouri - MTE
(MTE teams I don’t want -Pitt, penn, Utah State)

I could see us going 10-2 or 8-5 with that schedule, but either way, I think it would give us a decent NET and prepare us for the Valley. It’s probably pretty ambitious.

All in all this is a good schedule.

You're forgetting our return game at Davidson; you can probably swap that out with VCU.

The MTE opponents you would want could very well change. Dayton will NOT have a NET ranking of 3. Just a quick perusal of the NET of our MTE opponents, but I think Nebraska is the worst opponent in that tournament based on 2019-20 NET. They're going to have a ton of transfers eligible next year. I don't think they win the Big 10, but I bet they're not nearly as much of a drag as they would have been this year.

Speaking of the difficulty of projecting NET, I mentioned this on the MVC Fans: I think Pitino will not coach a game for them. It's too bad of a look for the NCAA not to hammer him with a massive suspension. But Iona still wouldn't be a terrible buy opponent. And scheduling Murray State, an above average Horizon League and MAC school wouldn't be bad either.

I still don't see any of the Chicago area teams playing us next year (as an aside, can you believe DePaul is giving Leitao an extension?! What a complete waste of money in what's probably going to be a major recession).

I love the P5 buy game. I still don't think you see Porter schedule it unless it's a neutral court game against a school like Vanderbilt.

One more thing: don't we have a game at the United Center next year? Hopefully it's a really quality opponent.