It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valley Transfers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am 

Another Saluki in the portal, Aaron Cook, according to Evan Daniels on Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 am 

Big blow for Mullins. Verbal Commits says they have five open scholarships remaining, although I thought Jeremic was also transferring and he would make six.

It has to be brutal for Mullins to find six quality players during this time. Moreover, every coach has only been able to focus on recruiting during the last few weeks, in stark contrast with the fact that a lot of coaches would be preoccupied with postseason play during March.

SIU's big weakness is going to be forward play. Whenever Benson went out of the game, Krutwig dominated anyone guarding him. Those guys especially are going to be hard to find on the transfer/JUCO/high school market.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
Big blow for Mullins. Verbal Commits says they have five open scholarships remaining, although I thought Jeremic was also transferring and he would make six.

It has to be brutal for Mullins to find six quality players during this time. Moreover, every coach has only been able to focus on recruiting during the last few weeks, in stark contrast with the fact that a lot of coaches would be preoccupied with postseason play during March.

SIU's big weakness is going to be forward play. Whenever Benson went out of the game, Krutwig dominated anyone guarding him. Those guys especially are going to be hard to find on the transfer/JUCO/high school market.

Tough one; that said, he's kept the players that mattered most in Domask and Jones. I also really liked what I saw from Trent Brown last year. With Eastern Illinois transfer Ben Harvey coming in (basically a Domask clone); they'll still have a real solid core. I'm sure Mullins is a lot like Moser in how demanding he is to play for. You have to know a lot and play really hard. Losing Cook is tough, but probably not a surprise given that the grad transfer was on the table from the moment he transferred.

I doubt it happens, but I wonder if Cam Satterwhite finds his way back to the Valley...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:20 am 

Blers wrote:
I doubt it happens, but I wonder if Cam Satterwhite finds his way back to the Valley...

I hope not; I'd rather not have to root against him. I also think SIU will be hurt by the perception that they're not a player or two away from contending for the Valley title. Obviously, they weren't last year and Mullins did a great job.

That said, a kid like Satterwhite, who is athletic, has a ton of experience, can step in right away, and only eat up a scholarship for one year, will have dozens and dozens of suitors. He's probably going to either an average team in a big conference or a team like Belmont or Murray St. that is still a mid-major but is basically a consistent lock to be in competition for their conference title. SIU is neither.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:42 pm 

A couple of Chicago-area players we offered in high school have just added their names to the Transfer Portal:
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-johnson-il

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/drew-peterson-il

Both are 6'8 forwards who averaged over 10ppg. Johnson is a grad transfer while Peterson is a sit one play two as things now stand. Johnson is more of an inside player while Peterson is a guard/wing.
I was high on Peterson in high school and thought we had a good chance to sign him, but he opted for Rice where I think one of his parents went. He is a good shooter and was All State as a senior from Libertyville after averaging around 26 ppg.

I am beginning to wonder what Jalon Pipkins is planning to do. Still no word on whether he is going to transfer.

Last edited by swellafelon on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
A couple of Chicago-area players we offered in high school have just added their names to the Transfer Portal:
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/brandon-johnson-il

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/drew-peterson-il

Both are 6'8 forwards who averaged over 10ppg. Johnson is a grad transfer while Peterson is a sit one play two as things now stand.

I am beginning to wonder what Jalon Pipkins is planning to do. Still no word on whether he is going to transfer.

I have no idea what Pipkins is going to do. I'd like to see him stay and have a bigger role in the team, although I'm willing to concede that neither of those options might be in the cards.

That said, there's no way we end up bringing either of those kids in. They're going Power 5 for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
Blers wrote:

I hope not; I'd rather not have to root against him. I also think SIU will be hurt by the perception that they're not a player or two away from contending for the Valley title. Obviously, they weren't last year and Mullins did a great job.

That said, a kid like Satterwhite, who is athletic, has a ton of experience, can step in right away, and only eat up a scholarship for one year, will have dozens and dozens of suitors. He's probably going to either an average team in a big conference or a team like Belmont or Murray St. that is still a mid-major but is basically a consistent lock to be in competition for their conference title. SIU is neither.

Cam Satterwhite stays in the Big Sky conference and transfers to Montana https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/sta ... 0976839680

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:55 pm 

lot happening in the Valley last couple of days....

Recent Missouri Valley Activity
4/2/2020 - Bradley 2020 SG Jayson Kent (6-7, 183, 2★) committed to Bradley.
4/1/2020 - Missouri State JUCO C Nic Tata (6-10, -, 2★) committed to Missouri State.
4/1/2020 - Evansville 2016 SF John Hall (6-7, 215, 2★) will be transferring. - Per Travis Branham, 247 Sports
4/1/2020 - Drake 2020 SG Kerwin Walton (6-5, 185, 3★) has trimmed his list, and removed Drake from consideration. - Per Link
3/31/2020 - Missouri State 2020 PG Marty Silvera (6-1, -, 2★) committed to St. Peter's.
3/31/2020 - Missouri State 2016 PG Tyrik Dixon (6-1, 173, 2★) will be transferring.
3/31/2020 - Missouri State 2019 PG Ford Cooper, Jr. (6-3, 175, 3★) will be transferring.
3/31/2020 - Illinois State 2018 PF Rey Idowu (6-9, 240, 2★) will be transferring to Tulsa. - Per Aaron Holmes
3/30/2020 - Indiana State 2020 PG Sam Mervis (5-10, -, 2★) has joined the team as a non-scholarship player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
4/1/2020 - Missouri State JUCO C Nic Tata (6-10, -, 2★) committed to Missouri State.

He has a twin brother who also plays basketball as a stretch 4:
F Irm Tata.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm 

I like F irm Tata.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next