It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valley Transfers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
Honestly all the Robbins transfer does for us is decrease the likelihood of us getting upset in Arch Madness. It also puts Drake down a spot it two in projections. That’s a rough loss for them.

This is true, but it will also probably hurt their NET rankings (and vicariously our NET rankings) as well.

True, but again - NET is only important for at-large and I don’t think we are gonna be able to get there. We are probably going to have to have, at most, 2 losses in non-con to get our NET up in non-con play, and those losses have to be to good teams. After that, I don’t think it matters what everyone’s Valley NET is... 3 Valley losses (no matter who) probably would take us out of contention, and if we finished 26-4 and got to the valley championship game, I don’t know how we wouldn’t get in with 5 total losses after Arch Madness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:55 pm 

This is devastating to Drake..I feel badly for them...I would go as far as to say unfair....if Minnesota wanted him they should have taken the chance on him when he wasnt yet polished.......The transfer situation is a difficult one....I am not sure what is correct.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:34 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
lusuperfan wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
Honestly all the Robbins transfer does for us is decrease the likelihood of us getting upset in Arch Madness. It also puts Drake down a spot it two in projections. That’s a rough loss for them.

This is true, but it will also probably hurt their NET rankings (and vicariously our NET rankings) as well.

True, but again - NET is only important for at-large and I don’t think we are gonna be able to get there. We are probably going to have to have, at most, 2 losses in non-con to get our NET up in non-con play, and those losses have to be to good teams. After that, I don’t think it matters what everyone’s Valley NET is... 3 Valley losses (no matter who) probably would take us out of contention, and if we finished 26-4 and got to the valley championship game, I don’t know how we wouldn’t get in with 5 total losses after Arch Madness.

You're assuming there's going to be a season!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 pm 

Back to McCammons for a moment. I remember when there was all the talk about Michael Jordan's son considering Loyola. There was even a high school game at the Joe which MJ attended and I think it was Jeff who was playing. The Joe was packed and the lines to the refreshment stand were very long. Then Jordan's kid decided not to go to Loyola and McCammons was offered a scholarship. He turned into a very good player.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:40 am 

Robbins to Minnesota just happened in the span of a weekend.

You know, I'm kind of not too mad at a kid for wanting the best opportunity possible, which is what the 1 time transfer rule would allow. However, I think there should be a lot of recourse for the mid-majors to force the NCAA's hand and investigate tampering. If there's evidence of any type of impropriety, the NCAA should hammer the offending school with massive penalties (postseason bans, scholarship losses, coach show-causes, probation, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:52 am 

I had the same thought. Happened pretty fast. Someone on the MVC Fans board said Robbins's uncle is on the Minnesota staff.

Speaking of that board, someone is keeping a running list of Valley transfers:

Quote:
Stephan Gabriel - Bradley -- To Hutchinson C.C.
Sean Houpt - Bradley -- 3/28/20

Samm Jones - Drake
Antonio Pilipovic - Drake -- 3/30/20
Liam Robbins - Drake -- 4/4/20 -- To Minnesota

Art Labinowicz - Evansville -- 3/29/20
John Hall - Evansville -- 4/1/20

Rey Idowu - Illinois State -- 3/27/20 -- To Tulsa
Matt Chastain - Illinois State -- retired
Taylor Bruninga - Illinois State -- retired

Tyeshon Martin - Indiana State
Christoper Agbo - Indiana State -- 3/26/20
De'Avion Washington - Indiana State -- 4/5/20

Tyem Freeman - Missouri State -- To Indian Hills C.C.
Josh Hall - Missouri State
Tyrik Dixon - Missouri State -- 3/31/20
Ford Cooper, Jr. - Missouri State -- 3/31/20

Shandon 'Biggie' Goldman - Northern Iowa -- To Tennessee Tech

Brendon Gooch - Southern Illinois -- 3/22/20
Harwin Francios- Southern Illinois -- 3/25/20 -- To McNeese State - 4/3/20
Karrington Davis - Southern Illinois -- 3/26/20
Aaron Cook Jr. - Southern Illinois -- 3/30/20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:01 am 

I'd be absolutely furious if I was a Drake fan. Liam Robbins announces he will transfer, then his uncle is promoted to assistant HC at Minnesota and then Liam commits to Minnesota. All within a couple days. Such obvious tampering.

Further, Drake was the only reputable school to offer Liam. They took a chance on him when he was really out of shape and no one wanted him. The coaching staff developed him and turned him into an all-MVC caliber player. Then he transfers and talks down on the Drake coaching staff in his Twitter postings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:06 am 

At first glance:

Evansville looks to be doing OK; still probably a Thursday team.
Drake goes from dark horse contender to probably middle of the road in the league. Maybe even a Thursday team.
SIU might take quite a large step back next year. I just don't think they'll have the guns to really compete in this league next year unless they start landing some key grad transfers.
Missouri State is haywire
Indiana State probably takes a slight step back, not a great look for Lansing going into the final year of his contract.
Illinois State I think is a dark horse next year. I definitely think they'll be in the top half of the league with us, Bradley, UNI, and Valpo

I think the biggest factor for next year will be what teams have the most consistency in regards to turnover next season. There won't be a lot of time to fully integrate key pieces, which hurts teams like SIU & Mo. State even with good coaching and whatever talent incoming. The common factor of my top 5 teams in the league next year is they all don't have a lot of turnover.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:07 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
I'd be absolutely furious if I was a Drake fan. Liam Robbins announces he will transfer, then his uncle is promoted to assistant HC at Minnesota and then Liam commits to Minnesota. All within a couple days. Such obvious tampering.

Further, Drake was the only reputable school to offer Liam. They took a chance on him when he was really out of shape and no one wanted him. The coaching staff developed him and turned him into an all-MVC caliber player. Then he transfers and talks down on the Drake coaching staff in his Twitter postings.

Agreed. That said, apparently the coronavirus is the only thing that kept Minnesota from making a HC change this year. Wonder what happens next year if they don't improve...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:43 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next