It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valley Transfers
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:33 pm 

NU board claiming that they did not pursue JFL this year...could be sour grapes , maybe not.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:07 am 

01grad wrote:
I don’t think anything is guaranteed with waiver decisions. There was a kid from Southern Illinois who was playing football in the SEC (Georgia?), had a completely legitimate hardship with a family member that he wanted to transfer back home to the UofI to be closer to. The school he was transferring from supported the move, and Illinois was the closest FBS school to his home. The NCAA denied his waiver and made him sit.

I'm not sure the specifics of the case you're referring to, but maybe the player's case was hurt by the 100 mile rule. Basically, one of the criteria that the NCAA uses for hardship waivers is if you go to a school that's within 100 miles of home. I remember a story about a Virginia Tech football player who was denied a waiver because his home was 105 miles from campus, even though it was the closest FBS school and there was clear medical hardship in his family.

Loyola is less than 100 miles as the crow flies for South Bend so even though it's more than 100 miles driving, Anderson meets the criteria for the waiver. It doesn't make sense to me but it's the NCAA so it doesn't need to make sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:11 am 

I am an Illini fan as well, grad school, and it's Luke Ford. He was hurt by the 100 miles rule. They attempted to argue it was the closest FBS school but it still was beyond 100 miles so they didn't get approved.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:01 pm 

Valpo is less than 60 miles from Chicago, so how does that work?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:00 pm 

What is the hardship from which JFL suffers?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:21 pm 

JC64 wrote:
What is the hardship from which JFL suffers?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:13 am 

Some big names in Deandre Williams final four.

Didn’t realize he had originally lost a year of eligibility after enrolling.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:12 am 

with new transfer rules ,,,,,DII and lesser conferences have become the minor leagues for Mid-Majors and Mid-Majors have become the minors for the P5 and the P5 a back door to the Mid-Majors by those at P5 schools where it has not worked out....would love to see the research of how what would appear to be a leveling process is successful, or not. It seems to me that having kids for at least 3 years would be valuable...
On the other hand it seems LU has been successful at this new way of doing business...with 3 P5 players coming to LU but not losing anyone going up to P5....and with most of the players that have left LU most have had moderate success at lesser schools? or am I missing ?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:11 pm 

No, you are correct. Loyola has played the transfer rules well. It would be very hard for us to complain, seeing as how much we benefited from Doyle, Custer, Townes, and D-II Tate Hall. I think Norris is going to be solid for us next season. We’ve done great at the JUCO level with Andre Jackson, and Clemons as well. We missed on Pipkins, but overall, I would say we’ve “played the market” the past 5 years really well.

Uguak isn’t what we thought he’d be but he’s still been a 2 year starter, basically.

The fact that we kept Krutwig after 2018 was huge. I firmly believe he could’ve went anywhere he wanted after his freshman year with what he displayed in the tournament as a freshmen. Kennedy’s upside as a freshmen is huge, and I think he’s better than JFL with an extra year of eligibility, so if we keep him, we are doing things right as far as navigating the transfer situation.

Losing Satterwhite, Bujoso, Avery and Negron has not hurt us, and Pipkins leaving is probably fine. We are playing the field well. and benefiting. Drake and Valpo are not.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:14 pm 

Regarding JFL, It seems like his reason for claiming hardship is a work in progress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next