It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:08 pm 

Point Guard Keith Clemons:

LU started the season with our only point guard, Keith Clemons, out for the first 10 games (including 2 exhibitions), on the bench due to injuries.
LU’s record without him went:
4-4 (4-6 including the exhibitions against St. Louis & Indianapolis)
Once he was on the court LU went:
11-6
then in the final 8 games LU went:
6-2

In the 25 games with Clemons at the helm, LU had only lost by more than a 3 pointer in regulation time only 3 times, including one 5 point loss.

For this he had no backup point guard.
Next year with red-shirt point guard Braden Norris
(who led the Horizon in assist to turnover ratio and averaged 5.2 assists per game)
to back up a more rested Clemons, I would expect Clemons & LU to be even stronger.

In addition to Clemons great defensive play, for the whole season he was the MVC’s top 3 point shooter at 45.7%.
Only 3 qualifying Division 1 players, ended the season with a better 3 pt % (https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... vidual/143)

In his final 6 games Clemons scored 14.8 points per game.

Aher Uguak

In addition to his great defensive play, among LU’s regular 6 players (the 5 starters & Kennedy)
Uguak was the 2nd best FG shooter (53.2%) behind King Krutwig (53.7%) in MVC play.

Among LU’s regular 6 players (the 5 starters & Kennedy)
Uguak was the 2nd best FT shooter (66.0%) behind Clemons (67.3%) in MVC play.

His rebounding improved appreciably at the end of the season,
as he pulled down 25 rebounds in 75 minutes in our last 3 games,
keeping up with King Krutwig who had 25 rebounds in 100 minutes in our last 3 games.

The defense of LU’s 6 regulars stood out with:
LU being 8th in Division 1 with the fewest fouls,
LU being 21st in division 1 in scoring defense, &
LU being 43rd in Division 1 in steals.

I did not mention LU’s other stars because they were already recognized in the 2019-20 MVC’s post season awards:

Krutwig 2nd in the MVC MVP voting & 1st team all MVC.
Hall 3rd team all MVC.
Williamson 1st team all-defensive.
Kennedy MVC 6th man of the year & MVC 1st team All Freshmen

They are all coming back, unlike Bradley which is losing 3 of their best players.

Go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:44 am 

Bill Behrns side account?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:22 am 

Does anybody have access to an analytics site that breaks down shooting percentage by type of shot like dunk, layup, mid range?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:24 am 

Not going to argue with the numbers, but just looking at numbers alone, you can compare Uguak's FG % to Christian Thomas. The problem is that Thomas never took shots more than 10 feet away from the basket, and most of the time, Uguak catches the ball a lot further away from the basket. I do feel for the kid because he's only doing what he's being coached to do; however, he's just not a fit in this offense if Krutwig is a better option down low forcing him to constantly hover outside the 3 point arc. And the overarching question for Porter is what does he need to improve: change in-game coaching strategy so Uguak doesn't play 38 minutes at Arch Madness? Did he get out over his skis recruiting him just on raw athletic ability? Is it a player development issue in practice we don't see?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 am 

Clemons was one of those lucky gems Porter was able to pick out of the JUCO ranks. He is an absolutely solid point guard, and if we didn't get him, the season would have looked a lot different (as you could tell from the first set of games we had without him). I'm really glad we have him, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do next year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:29 pm 

I Ugak is a good case study of the coaching of Coach Moser....He knew Ugak was not going to be a good 3 pt omand coached him and fit him successfully into the offense....As he knew he needed him on defense (still think his defense against Green in the UNI games was one of the best performances I have seen at LU). It also emphasizes that defense comes 1st for him. Frank looked improved on offense this year...but Welch was the better defender and started to get the minutes as the year went on.
I am curious about Norris, everyone seems amped up for him. Did anyone see him play when he was at Oakland?

and I agree , Clemmons just got better and better and better.