It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm 

The gifted Frank Agunanne had a problem in his Freshman year: Fouls!
He averaged 9.43 fouls per 40 minutes in MVC games, which meant if he started he would foul out early in the 2nd half.
This season as a Sophomore, in spite of his injuries & illness keeping him out for 9 games, he greatly improved, dropping his fouling to an
average of 4.95 fouls per 40 minutes in MVC games.

Yet he was still as active on the boards in MVC play, pulling down an averaged of 9.9 rebounds per 40 minutes after averaging 9.5 boards as a Freshman.

This year he also cut down on his turnovers in MVC play from 4.53 to 2.29 turnovers per 40 minutes.

His 66.7% Field Goal shooting, in MVC play, is not only higher than last year ‘s 61.5%, but it is also higher than any of next season’s returning qualifying (5 FG/game) players in the NCAA. (https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... vidual/141).

His learning curve & natural ability are great & he has done very well under Coach Moser & practicing with King Krutwig, one of the best centers in the country. I am looking forward to his continued improvement & minutes in the next 2 years.

In preparation for games against the big guys in the tournament, I am hoping to see Frank & Krutwig, or Welch, in a double post giving one of our 2 forwards some rest.

Go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 pm 

I didn't study the stats like you did FLEET, but Frank just looked much improved and more productive than he did the previous season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 am 

Do not get me wrong....I like Big Frank and he was my pick to click this year...and he had some decent stats.....but he got benched in the middle o the season...I thought he was injured and asked someone in the know...and they said no...Coach is just very disappointed at his play...specifically defensively....apparently he was missing a lot of defensive assignments....and got yanked a couple times after he worked his way back into the rotation......It will be interesting to see how the playing time between Welch and Frank works out for next year...... They both seem like great kids with lots of upside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Do not get me wrong....I like Big Frank and he was my pick to click this year...and he had some decent stats.....but he got benched in the middle o the season...I thought he was injured and asked someone in the know...and they said no...Coach is just very disappointed at his play...specifically defensively....apparently he was missing a lot of defensive assignments....and got yanked a couple times after he worked his way back into the rotation......It will be interesting to see how the playing time between Welch and Frank works out for next year...... They both seem like great kids with lots of upside.

I think it'll be matchup based, and we may see Welch playing more and more at the four with Aher and Tate set to graduate. He can do a bit of everything just needs to work on his ball handling a bit more.

Frank definitely got lost a lot on defense. There were multiple times where he'd be guarding the opposing big man near the basket while a guard would take it right to the hoop for an uncontested layup. When he's actively engaged with a bigger post he's actually pretty good. But so much of our defense involves helping to prevent high percentage shots.

I thought he moved a lot better this year though, and he looked much more polished on offense. Hopefully he can take another step!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:48 pm 

Frank tends to overplay on defense which leaves him vulnerable to getting into mismatches on switch offs/double teams that benefit the other squad. It happened a lot this season. This is the kind of thing where his natural hustle and enthusiasm goes against what he's been taught to do over and over again in practice. That's my reading of it. Porter thinks he should have advanced beyond that stage at this point.

Offensively, I think he looks good and very promising. I don't think there are any true centers/power forwards in the league that can match his length, hops and athleticism. Some can fight him off with girth and/or height (Robbins, Prim and Phyfe come to mind), but if Porter and Company could develop just TWO post moves and plays to go with it, I think Frank can be a 6.0 ppg player going 15 minutes per game and averaging 4.0 rebounds next season.

When you have a player like Frank, I think it's better to develop his offensive side and let his athleticism handle the defensive end (as long as he can keep his fouls in check). Agunanne could be devastating against teams that have a weak front court (like Indiana State, Evansville, and Illinois State this year). I think it would also be worthwhile next year to consider playing him with Welch, or even having him play alongside Krutwig against the teams with good front courts. Develop some different looks. Create some set plays to pull out of the quiver when needed.