It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm 

When I said "overkill," I was referencing actions taken by elected officials, assuming powers never granted by the people, some in direct violation of " the bill of rights," which risk destroying the economy and society of The United States.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:52 pm 

I also don't want to get political, but I am not willing to die or kill others so that someone can have a beer at the ballpark or dinner with friends. This sucks, I get it, and it is frustrating, but are we really advocating risking our lives and the lives of people we care about for the sake of a dollar?

That is a real question, is money more important than people? Without testing and tracing are we not saying that we should all risk our lives for the sake of money?

I work part-time at Wrigley Field as a bartender, that job is not happening any time soon. My other job is a full-time real estate agent and I am taking a hit there as well, as people are pulling away from making the biggest financial decisions of their life during this. I want things back to normal as much as anyone, but if you are asking me who I would be willing to kill to make it happen, the answer is no one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:04 pm 

If there is anything to be upset with the government about it would be not being prepared for this when there was plenty of information that this would happen....at some point....Bush Jr was aware...Obama was aware (and prepared) then we dropped the ball and dismantled much of the preparation.....the dichotomy between individual rights and being citizens with responsibilities to others...is a continual dialogue.....this issue falls on the side of being a citizen with responsibilities to others.....Thank you Father Joe Small.....anyone else have Father Small ?...man some of the Jesuit professors I had are still some of the smartest people I have known.....I have been revisiting Inspector Morse on BBC,,,,,I had one give up day...Peanut m and ms for breakfast and watched all 4 Mad Max movies.....also started learning Italian. a presto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 pm 

Another thing that people need to consider when it comes to basketball season. I find it hard to believe that there's a traditional November start to the season if schools are still doing on-line class at home. It would look really bad on the NCAA and the schools if they bring the athletes back to play sports but not the rest of the student body.

My best guess is that schools will need to make a decision about how to conduct classes by July 1 or July 15. The gating question is not necessarily a matter of can teams travel and play games in November. It's will students return in August for the fall semester?

There's a lot to consider on that point. What do things look like in Illinois on July 1? What if things are good in Illinois but they're not good in other parts of the country? What decisions are being made at the school, conference, and NCAA level to react based on the information known at the time? With this many variables at play, I don't believe anyone can make a good prediction about what the 2020-21 basketball season will look like, if it happens at all. I do, however, think that the NCAA and schools will do everything they can within the bounds of public safety to make sure there's a season and March Madness next year, even if that means starting with conference games in January.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 am 

BigJoe1963 wrote:
I also don't want to get political, but I am not willing to die or kill others so that someone can have a beer at the ballpark or dinner with friends. This sucks, I get it, and it is frustrating, but are we really advocating risking our lives and the lives of people we care about for the sake of a dollar?

That is a real question, is money more important than people? Without testing and tracing are we not saying that we should all risk our lives for the sake of money?

I work part-time at Wrigley Field as a bartender, that job is not happening any time soon. My other job is a full-time real estate agent and I am taking a hit there as well, as people are pulling away from making the biggest financial decisions of their life during this. I want things back to normal as much as anyone, but if you are asking me who I would be willing to kill to make it happen, the answer is no one.

I don't envy our politicians during these times. The decisions ahead are incredibly difficult. Do we maintain social distancing, etc. until a vaccine? Have fun telling 350 million Americans that they can't eat out at restaurants or go to sporting events or weddings or funerals for some unknown length of time--quite possibly until late 2021. Things would get ugly and hardly any businesses will survive. How long do the "stay-at-home" orders stay in effect? Originally, the stay-at-home was to prevent overcrowding at hospitals. At what point do we say "OK, we've gotten past that initial fear, what can we do now?" I think another month or so is necessary. I see Wisconsin already extended to late May--Illinois won't be far behind.

But that's all balanced by the risk of loss of life. There's been a lot of studies done and papers written by bioethicists and economists on striking the balance. Those papers were all hypothetical and worked with specific numbers. One of the biggest problems now is just how little know about what we are facing. It is extremely difficult to make these critical decisions when the models vary so wildly, when we don't know who or how many have already had COVID, when we don't know the true death rate, etc. Which model do we trust when one says "60k deaths" and another says "6 million deaths"?

Anyways, on basketball, and on a selfish level, it'd REALLY suck to see next year's team not be able to play.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am 

natetheskate wrote:
If there is anything to be upset with the government about it would be not being prepared for this when there was plenty of information that this would happen....at some point....Bush Jr was aware...Obama was aware (and prepared) then we dropped the ball and dismantled much of the preparation.....the dichotomy between individual rights and being citizens with responsibilities to others...is a continual dialogue.....this issue falls on the side of being a citizen with responsibilities to others.....Thank you Father Joe Small.....anyone else have Father Small ?...man some of the Jesuit professors I had are still some of the smartest people I have known.....I have been revisiting Inspector Morse on BBC,,,,,I had one give up day...Peanut m and ms for breakfast and watched all 4 Mad Max movies.....also started learning Italian. a presto

Who dropped the ball? What were these preparations that were dismantled? When and by whom were they dismantled?
The New York Times reported that more than a dozen U.S. intelligence assets in China were jailed or killed between 2010 and 2013. Might these assets have been compromised by information obtained by Chinese intelligence from the secret intelligence files on Hillery's unsecured server?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:51 am 

I am with you on that, I am excited about the team next season and really want to see them play.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:27 pm 

I’m finding myself discovering all new sorts of technology, due to having to do a lot of videoconferencing for work. And as a result learning things about coworkers’ families I never expected to. One coworker is clearly a huge Duke family, as the background in their basement is filled with Duke gear. I response, I’ve slowly been adding Loyola gear into my background. Not all at once, that just wouldn’t be a fair fight.