It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How is Everyone Doing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:12 pm 

I know this isn't basketball related, but we're all related through basketball. How is everyone holding up?

We're still getting adjusted to working from home, and being at home all the time. I am doing my best to do as much as possible remotely, but real estate was exempt from the Wisconsin stay at home order. I've tried my best to do virtual tours of homes and most everything remotely, but the people that want to buy houses still want to see them before signing. Being as careful as possible, I am still showing homes. It is a little disconcerting, but my background in food safety has helped with the sanitation aspect of all this.

It has been tough to stick to a workout schedule as well, we've been doing something everyday, whether walk or run though. Definitely been drinking a little bit more, just because it is something to do at the end of the day.

Ordered a couple of apple trees and a bunch of seeds to start a garden, too.

It's also hard not to read and watch the news a ton, and then get depressed.

Hope everyone else is doing as best they can and knows that you have a built in support group right here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:00 pm 

My friends and I moved our golf games into Xbox, and have played countless rounds while still being able to trash each others’ game via headphones. Fun fact: on average a person tends to drink roughly the same amount of beer playing video game golf as real golf.

Other than that, and working from home, just laying low. Checking in on my mom and siblings, taking the occasional brief walk outside to remember what fresh air is like, and debating whether to buy a tiger.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:05 pm 

01grad wrote:
debating whether to buy a tiger.

This is actually a really good Netflix documentary and a lesson, nay, a tutorial for anyone looking to keep some tigers around.
It also contains some interesting haircut choices, which some of us may be forced to consider if this stay at home order continues for much longer.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11823076/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 pm 

I like this thread. I’d like to know how everybody’s doing, and what everybody’s doing to pass the time.

I live in a suburb of Houston, Texas and the county I live in is on a “stay-at-home” order. Delivery and take out is still open, and the governor issued an order allowing alcohol to be delivered by restaurants, so that’s been a novel thing we’ve tried just because we figure will never get to do it again. The weather here is still really nice, so every night we “go out to eat.“ My wife makes dinner, and an hour before dinner is ready I go out to the garage and create an “ambience quote with the theme of whatever type of food we’re having (Music, lights, etc.). It’s corny but it gives us something to do and laugh about. There is only one rule for dinners – – for a half hour, we don’t talk about what’s going on and just try to enjoy the moment. It’s a pretty good distraction.

I’m a lawyer, and the courts are not having any hearings unless they are absolutely necessary. I do about 80% family law and 20% criminal defense work, and unfortunately, that involves doing jail visits With my clients and trying to work out plea deals to get them out. If this thing hits the county jail here it’s going to be a HUGE mess.

Working remotely blows, and I’m definitely concerned that I’m going to eventually run out of things to do.

We started watching all the 2018 games in their entirety and got through the first three. Jesus, those were good times!

We are healthy and hanging in there. I hope all of you are doing okay too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 am 

What a great post Joe! Thanks for starting this.
Great to still "interface" with Ramblermaniacs.
If there is a silver lining to this basketball wise, the men's team got to complete their season. Hope all the players and athletic department personnel got back to their homes safely.
It has been "interesting" to work at home. One of my clients that I do work for has shifted to long distance interfacing using zoom and go to meeting.
Takes a bit of getting used to but it is so much better. Having flown over two million miles, it is great to NOT have to go to an airport. I am also able to do some virtual long distance training for certification training. The defense acquisition university has an extensive certification process dealing with the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and I can do that on the computer as well. Two of my clients are in construction and oil and are worldwide so I am constantly verifying work on a financial case study for them where I "grade" student submissions. I find I have a lot more time not having to pack and unpack and sort through mail. Used to go to China a lot and that is off the board for sure. Don't ever want to go back.
Been catchingup on a lot of reading. Reading two books on the financial crash of 2008. One is buy Hank Paulsen former Secretary of Treasury under Bush (2). He used to live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago and is an avid bird watcher. I once had a first class upgrade on a flight to DC and got to sit next to him and he gave me some great stories on that 2008 fiasco which looks pretty tame as a bailout compared to what Congress just did. Also reading a book by McMillan on "The War That Ended Peace". Great work on the causes that led up to World War I. Equally depressing. If you ever go to Wrigley Field and walk down Clark street south of Irving Park, there is a cemetary on the east side of the street. A lot of the graves have a 1918 date on them the year of the last great pandemic. (The Spanish Flu).
Also been spending time cataloging my collectibles or "sports trash" as my wife calls it. That is a good diversion. I find that all of the cable "news" shows just keep recyling the same depressing news. Once you catch the first show, you can skip the rest as they are all the same. No sports on tv really leaves a hole in your viewing habits. A real bummer on the NCAA tourney as March Madness is clearly one of the highlights of the sports world. That and some of the golf tournments and the hockey playoffs. I saw where Scott Boras the baseball superagent wants a full season of baseball with the World Series played at Christmas in a neutral warm weather site. I'd rather see them just cancel the season. I'm sure Bryce Harper doesn't mind collecting his obscene $33 million dollars a year and also hard to feel for Tom Brady and Giselle as they show us their $30million mansion. Those two clowns are what's wrong with sports. Hard to identify with their problems while all the restaurant workers are trying to figure out how to survive. Its not the money, its the arrogance. On the other side of that coin there are some athletes who are very generous in making donations to those less fortunate.
Good thing they kept the drive thru's open otherwise there would be riots at the grocery stores. Been doing a lot of pick ups as most restaurants have some type of delivery or curb side pick up. Always keep in mind those delivery people should get a generous tip as they are surely taking an earnings hit. Its the hotel cleaning staff that is also hurting. The average worker cleans 15 rooms a day and get minimum wage so a couple of dollars a day helps out there.But the occupancy for a lot of hotels is now around 10%
My only bit of advice to surviving this all is to follow those rules on social distancing, try to keep a regular weekday schedule and don't sleep in even though you can.Our local parish has Sunday mass on line live. Certainly different.
Also nice to know that Toledo Rambler lives in Houston and not Toledo. Toledo isn't a bad town. Its where they made the first Jeep for world war II. They produced 50,000 in six months from the time of proposal award to the acceptance test. The acceptance test the government required was to drive the Jeep down Pennsylvania Avenue and drive up the steps of the Capital building. The Jeep was a simple but effective vehicle. There is great video on Utube called the "eight minute jeep" Shows a crew of four taking it apart and putting it back together in eight minutes. They complete it on time and the crew jumps in and right behind them is marching band in a parade. American ingenuity for sure.
And hats off to all those capitalistic companies who have responded to the call in making masks, ventilators, protective equipment for health care workers.
I have a niece and nephew who work as nurses in local hospitals. So please keep them and all those on the front line (police, firefighters, truck drivers) who are keeping this economy going in your prayers. They are the real heroes.
BEST TO ALL RAMBLERMANIACS.
And Big Joe, we need to have that beer next year when you come down to the Rambler games. Be safe in your showings! Tough market for sure but when this ends you will be inundated with prospective buyers. Fifteen year money is about 2.75%. Hard not to refinance. I just redid my VA loan.
And if you want a quick Rambler read, order a copy of Porter's book. "All In". Under twenty dollars. I bought several copies and asked him to sign them all which he graciously did.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:03 am 

Clearly, you guys don't have young kids at home!

And, an excellent misdirection by "Toledo" Rambler! Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:21 am 

ahunte. It was great meeting you and your young children last year. A fine family.
Enjoy them because the time goes so quickly.
Mine, yes are older and are all out of the house. Completed their education including masters degrees and titled on their own properties. And they have their own professional careers. Youngest is publishing his first book.
My wife and I are very blessed indeed and the icing on the cake is FINALLY after all these years we have a great baskeball program with a great coach and great AD. The preseason tourneys have been outstanding Tampa, Vegas, Alaska, St. Thomas, Fort Myers, Caymans. And hopefully this year Myrtle Beach. And who can forget the run to the Final Four and the season ending winning streak.
And the other teams are doing well.
very proud of that graduation rate and the GPA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 am 

Thanks Joe for asking. I was able to get married right before everything started to get cancelled. If we picked the following weekend, our wedding would've had to have been cancelled. So I've been adjusting to not only working from home, but also living with my wife. Thankfully with nothing to go do we have been able to put a lot of wedding stuff and all her stuff away. So while things are adjusting, it's not all bad. We're also trying to adopt a dog since we're going to be home a lot for the next month, so we can help him adjust to our home. Overall, we are just trying to stay optimistic and positive about the things we can control.

Hopefully, everyone can stay safe and healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:04 am 

Congrats Tank on getting married. The extra month of shut in will give you a lot of time to adjust and get organized. Good luck and stay healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:49 am 

Brot is just dandy !! Besides the corona thing we here in Akron were it with huge storm !! Was trapped in condo for two days while OHIO ED clear3d trees and restrung electric wire poles---A MESS !! But all is well now Re the storm---CRIPES !! One would think I was back in FARGO !! Ohi0.com has stories !!!