It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HBO Documentary
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 am 

Anyone see it? I still can't believe Arizona and LSU are sticking by those guys, especially with Beilein unemployed.

Post subject: Re: HBO Documentary
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am 

lusuperfan wrote:
Anyone see it? I still can't believe Arizona and LSU are sticking by those guys, especially with Beilein unemployed.

For those who might find it helpful to know the name of the movie, I believe super is referring to The Scheme. Looks like its definitely worth a watch.

But I have a feeling it will make fans of mid-majors even more angry.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11916278/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 pm 

I have not seen the movie. While I am sure it is worthwhile but it tells the same old story of the rich and powerful feathering their nests.
Until the mid majors collectively stand up for themselves the P5 conferences will get the lion share of the bids to the tourney. The mid majors should file a class action lawshit.
Personally I think the players should also be paid, but also receive a 1099 for their scholarship value and any other remuneration.
In reality the players are non paid entertainers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:52 pm 

I think the mid-majors have more power than they think,,,if they could organize.....they really are the story of the NCAA tournament...I mean those fans not associated in a strong manner with a power5 team...are watching for the upseat....as Red Rush would say....its David vs Goliath....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
The mid majors should file a class action lawshit.

That's a load of crap!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:15 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
I have not seen the movie. While I am sure it is worthwhile but it tells the same old story of the rich and powerful feathering their nests.
Until the mid majors collectively stand up for themselves the P5 conferences will get the lion share of the bids to the tourney. The mid majors should file a class action lawshit.
Personally I think the players should also be paid, but also receive a 1099 for their scholarship value and any other remuneration.
In reality the players are non paid entertainers.

Knowing the NCAA, the rollout for the NIL rules going into effect in 2021 is probably going to be a complete mess. I can see a lot of abuse and creative accounting going on, so much so that the next federal agency to take a crack at the NCAA/colleges/athletes/boosters will be the IRS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:

Streak, this is a very different take on the old story. I think you would enjoy it.