It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Interview with Bruno
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 am 

For anybody who doesn't attend, the end of year banquet is one of the best events of the year. It was a shame that we didn't get to hear from Bruno, but he did a video interview that you can watch here. Highly recommend. 10/10.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Post subject: Re: Interview with Bruno
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:01 am 

AH1 Thanks for posting...just curious what your take was on what Bruno had to say?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am 

natetheskate wrote:
AH1 Thanks for posting...just curious what your take was on what Bruno had to say?

I think Bruno is an impressive guy, and it seems like it was a tough year for him. This is the second time I have heard him say that playing time bothered him. I know I was a little hard on him at times, but at a few points during the season, I definitely felt like we could have used a senior out there to help with our end of game issues.

What did you think?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 pm 

I agree with you...I thought he had a lot more to offer the team this year then he was given the opportunity to do...Sometimes it seems that Coach's quick trigger can really make some players afraid to make mistakes and their play suffers....that seemed to me to be Bruno this year...he looked hesitant on the court at times.....It is almost trial by fire.....I think it must take a tough skin and or a certain strong character to play for coach.....might be true for a lot of successful coaches?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:16 pm 

I think in years past being a senior would have been enough for him to have seen more minutes. But now a days those minutes are hard to come by and its really tough to give them to a guy who shot 13.3% from 3 as a guard. I think folks were frustrated all year by Aher's shooting woes and he shot 15.4% from 3 as a power forward. Let that sink in. Bruno is a great kid, Im proud he played for us and will fondly remember his career, but this year what he put out on the court didnt warrant more time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
I think in years past being a senior would have been enough for him to have seen more minutes. But now a days those minutes are hard to come by and its really tough to give them to a guy who shot 13.3% from 3 as a guard. I think folks were frustrated all year by Aher's shooting woes and he shot 15.4% from 3 as a power forward. Let that sink in. Bruno is a great kid, Im proud he played for us and will fondly remember his career, but this year what he put out on the court didnt warrant more time.

I agree. Who should Bruno have taken minutes from?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:02 pm 

Tate, Aher... I mean, at the end of games, we had 3-5 guys out there with no experience or who by and large couldn't make enough free throws. I'm the guy who proposed a minutes distribution with Bruno getting zero, so I'm not saying he was a world beater. But there's a case to be made that as a senior Bruno could have helped close out games.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:02 pm 

It has gotta be tough to go from getting ~11 meaningful minutes on a Final Four team, then 20 minutes as a junior. And then, when you think it is your time to lead as a senior, you instead get 11 DNPs and only a handful of meaningful minutes total.

FWIW, I bet Bruno would have made his FTs down the stretch against Valpo...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:15 pm 

I guess my point is that it was a really limited sample for a kid that performed pretty well in the NCAAs and some past tournaments...just seemed that he had a very short leash this year.....not saying right or wrong...but for the guy who needs to settle in or get some meaningful minutes to play Coach is probably not your guy.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:37 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
FWIW, I bet Bruno would have made his FTs down the stretch against Valpo...

Could not agree more.