It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Zoom meeting
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm 

The Last Dance ten part series and the tactics of the Detroit Piston vs the Celtics and the Bulls reminded me that "contact" is a part of sports. Maybe that's where Wardle gets his inspiration but the NFL has a rich tradition as well

Ultimate hits in the NFL.

1,2 and 3 in no particular order:

1. Chuck Bednarik of the Eagles knocks out Frank Gifford of the NY Giants. Bednarik was the last 60 minute man in a championship game as he played center and
middle line backer in the 60's title game against the Packers.
2. Jack Tatum of the Raiders leveling Daryl Stingley of the Patriots. The injury paralyzed Stingley but was a clean hit by the standards at the time.
3. Mike Stratum knocking out Keith Lincoln of the Chargers in the AFC title game against the Bills at Old War Memorial stadium as Lincoln caught a screen pass and then turned and was blasted.

"Honorable" mention
I forgot who on the Packers slam dunked on his shoulder Jim McMahon of the Bears at Soldier Field. No penalty was called but McMahon was out for the game.

Also YA Title of the Giants being man handled by Joe Fortunato of the Bears in the 1963 title game at Wrigley Field.

Its a different game today. For better or worse if for others to decide but with bigger, faster players today it was probably essential that the "violence" be controlled. Remember the 1962 Packers went 13-1 but their offensive line of Skoronski, Kramer, Ringo, Thurston and Gregg average weight of 245. Fridge Perry of the Bears was one of the first 300 pounders along with Ernie Ladd of the Chargers.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:17 pm 

The Jack Tatum hit was disgusting and had no business in sports. Poor Darryl Stingley’s life was cut short to complications years later. Think he had a son or nephew that played college ball.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 am 

25yearstreak wrote:

"Honorable" mention
I forgot who on the Packers slam dunked on his shoulder Jim McMahon of the Bears at Soldier Field. No penalty was called but McMahon was out for the game.

Charles #&*ing Martin. Forrest Gregg was a dirtbag of a coach, too. Without that play, the Bears win at least one more Super Bowl with that group. I had a chance to ask Jim McMahon about that play once. I remember most people talking about his shoulder, but I gathered from his response he was more worried about the concussion from that and was amazed he didn’t break his neck. It didn’t just take him out of the game, it affected his career.

Also pretty sure that not only was there a penalty called on that, but Martin was actually ejected. Which was almost unheard of in those days.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:34 am 

One of the field officials was heard saying that they ejected that scumbag bastard Martin because they were afraid that the Bears were going to try to kill him. When I saw his obituary a few years ago, I celebrated the event. I wished he had died around 1983.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 pm 

You are right about the Stingley hit. A real cheap shot with tragic consequences. Tatum should have been banned for life. He already had a reputation as a head hunter.