It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RIP Coach Ken Burmeister
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:41 pm 

update: hospice. Here is a great tribute from Coach Adelman.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/contribut ... al-timeout

Last edited by ramblermgr9599 on Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Coach Ken Burmeister
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:02 pm 

I hope he is at peace.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 am 

Coach B passed away this morning. Please keep him and his family in your prayers. Story on ABC 7 at 4:30 today.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:03 pm 

99 ...SORRY TO HEAR THIS....COULD YOU FILL US IN A LITTLE MORE ON YOUR THOUGHTS ON COACH BURMEISTER?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:45 pm 

Absolutely.

During the 1994-95 season my high school coach at Marist called Coach B to inquire about me becoming a manager. I kept stats for my high school team and knew I wanted to be involved in basketball at the college level as a manager. It was between DePaul and Loyola for me. My first Loyola game was over winter break vs Miami-Ohio that season at Alumni Gym. I was sold on the great atmosphere of the old gym. I still remember the smell of Ron Lee's popcorn.

In July 1995 I started my official duties as manager. He welcomed me into his program even though I was just a dorky work study kid. Coach (and his staff) gave me so many responsibilities at such a young age. Besides basketball related stuff (rebounding, blocking with the yellow pads, videotaping from the balcony, etc.) I was able to do office work and connect with adults. I did his expense reports from recruiting trips (he loved Bob Evans) and helped with film exchange with other programs. I met so many different young assistant coaches from around the business as most assistants handle the film exchange. Coach B and his staff (I have to mention how great his assistants were too...Adelman, Eck, Mitchem) gave the managers the opportunity to work the film exchange program.

Coach B let me work his summer basketball camps, travel to road games to places such as Denver (I know that home and home series does not sit well with many here), Puerto Rico, Los Angeles, all the MCC cities, etc. Traveling the country at that age on the university's dime was the best part of being a manager. Through all of this I learned work ethic. I was a commuter student my first three years until Coach Farmer and AD Schwarz gave me a partial athletic scholarship for room and board. As a commuter student I spent many nights sleeping in Coach B's office--which he may or may have not have ever knew (watching C band on the old satellite on top of Alumni Gym). I was intrigued by that satellite dish!

Family was very important to Coach B. I saw how proud he was of his young children (Sammy--who played for him at Incarnate Word and Amanda) as well as his wife Brenda. I would often pick the family up from their house in Skokie and take them to Alumni Gym for games.

Many of you on here do not know the true Coach B. It was often said that you had to be in his "inner circle", which I was. That obviously turned off people. I don't know why that was...but I guess it is better than someone being phony. So I understand why he may not be loved by everyone here, but he is to me. I do remember him interacting with fans in places such as at the Holiday Inn Cleveland bar during Tom Brennan’s road trips). He inherited a team with a poor record and academic performance. He turned around the basketball program and grades of the student-athletes. He was fired after a 15 win season with a great recruit all lined up for the 1998-99 season. Loyola would have challenged for the top spot in the MCC for the 98-99 season if he wasn't fired. I know why he was fired....(or the reason they wanted to use). I was there but I don't want to share it here. I remember the Score calling me as a 20 year old kid at my house asking for a comment and confirmation on a rumor on why he was fired. It was not fair and I will leave it at that. For me I knew I did not want to go into college coaching after seeing what happened to him. Loyola waited until early April to fire him as well. Thankfully the next Coach was just as nice to me and a true gentleman (Larry Farmer) who was the coach for my senior year. Coach B coached at Trinity in Texas the year after leaving Loyola. I remember him calling me in my office in Alumni Gym asking for some of his old plays that he left in the office. After one season at Trinity he was out of coaching for a long time doing sales in Texas. He eventually landed at Incarnate Word which transitioned to D1. His team beat Nebraska a few years ago and he went to the CIT (his team was not yet eligible for the NCAA Tournament as a provisional team). We exchanged Christmas cards over the years and I called him when I passed the bar exam in 2002. I wish I visited him when in San Antonio for the Final Four in 2018. He was just fired from Incarnate Word at the time and I regret not calling him.

Funny stories I will remember are: 1. when he got so mad during a game that he threw the talcum powder on the court and I went to get it up before he got a technical foul. 2. During a practice the clock went off and buzzed so loud. I was running the clock but wasn't there to turn the horn off because I was on the other side of the gym. He was screaming and said the next day he heard the horn all night in his sleep.

The most telling story of his character: one of the first events at Gentile in Nov. 1996 was a meet and greet with Steve Kerr. My parents came and we were sitting at the top of the gym. He walked up to say hi to my parents and left his event and all the people surrounding him and Kerr. My parents felt so special and welcomed. So he left big donors to see his sophomore manager’s parents who were not donating any money. Maybe the inner circle is more important on a human level than cuddling up to donors and why I view him differently than others. This story shows the true Coach B.

So.....to the best dressed coach we ever had at Loyola (Mark Shale clothing from Water Tower), rest in peace and God Bless. Porter is a close 2nd with clothing!
Prayers to his wife and children who are still in their 20's without a father.

Last edited by ramblermgr9599 on Wed May 20, 2020 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:58 pm 

He obviously made an impact on you as a really good human being....thanks for sharing......I always thought it peculiar that he got the axe when the program looked like it was finally on the way up.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm 

RIP Coach Burmeister, and thanks Rambler Mgr for that great write up!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:54 am 

Great post, mgr. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 am 

Thanks 95-99 I was glad to see you humanize him. Yes, I heard the stories about why he was fired but I never put stock in such things as it was an exaggeration I am sure. It was nothing to do with the record on the court.
That said, I remember the story of the talcum powder on the floor and you racing to wipe it up. As I remember it, KB did not like a refs call and so he inadvertently knocked over the talcum powder but the ref did not see it. It reminded me of one of the old wrestling shows where the bad guy rubs some rubbing alcohol into his opponents eyes but ref did not see it. Meanwhile you are racing to wipe the floor. But the really funny part of the story was not mentioned. That is the referee call was against the other team and not against the Ramblers so there was no need for the hissy fit KB displayed.
And not to be negative but I also remember when we were playing a game at Wright State on the road and a Rambler got his fifth foul with about two minutes to go.
When the time was up to put in a substitute the ref came over to remind KB he needed a substitute. KB refused and we played the last two minutes of the game with four players. That really pissed me off.
I remember traveling to Kent State for the first road game and I expected a big win what with Goodman, JaJa and Bush being highly touted. We got blown out by over 25 points. There was a lot of hype about playing Duke and making the NCAA tourney by the third year. I know we got to play Trinity University in Deerfield as one of our opponents and led at halftime 50-48.
But you told some great stories about how he helped you and was a great person once you got to know him so for me that is good enough.
Sorry to see him pass. He had a great family and remember his little boy being at the games. And clearly he was one of the best dressed coaches I have ever seen.
So I hope that balances out my stories above. With the exception of the Wright State comment, everything is pretty tame. And thanks for sharing that with us.