It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cricketts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:21 am 

So thought I would post....even though there is not much going on....seems like we are in a boat w/o an engine adrift in the sea hoping to see the shore,,,,,while checking the beer supply or stuck in the summer quarantine blues looking out the window to see if the storm is coming.
SIU signed a grad transfer, Jakolby Long from Southern Utah via Iowa St...was Class 6A Oklahoma player of the year with big time offers......started 17 games last year averaging 21 minutes, 6ppg.....I think SIU just did not see themselves signing anyone else of significance and Mr. Long will add to their depth. SIU also signed a 21-22 Center from Mundeline H. S
Was an interesting article on getting international players back of which I think we have two..Aher Uguak and Big Frank. SIU said they were optimistic about getting all their international players back ( I think LU mens soccer has several) but everyone is optimistic about everything cuz well what are your choices? Even the commish or MVC football was optimistic about starting their football season on time.

Post subject: Re: Cricketts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 am 

Harvard just announced that all course instruction for 20-21 academic year will be taught online. Tuition remains the same.

Not a good sign at all. Ivy League was the first to cancel their conference tourney and, at first, people scoffed at them. Then everyone quickly followed suit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 am 

I was unaware that Loyola had a cricketts team.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm 

Uguak and Big Frank must be on campus because if you go to the athletic department website, they are with their teammates talking about social justice issues.
So my conclusion is that it is not an issue unless the video is doctored and it was posted June 11th.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm 

JC64 wrote:
I was unaware that Loyola had a cricketts team.

I thought this thread was going to be about the owners of the Cubs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 am 

Ahunte1's post got me thinking about Cubs executive Todd Ricketts, a Loyola alum I thought was a member of the Board of Trustees. I googled to confirm this and couldn't find a list of current Loyola trustees anywhere.
Loyola's website under the category "Office of the President" merely stated that University bylaws permitted up to 50 trustees and that inquires about the Board of Trustees should be sent to its Liaison.
https://www.luc.edu/president/governanc ... ftrustees/

I found this passingly strange, so I looked into it a little further to see if my Google skills were deficient or if there was something else going on. To my relief my Google skills (i.e., my lifeblood) are intact. It turns out that the Loyola administration no longer reports the current membership of the Board of Trustees, according to the Loyola chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
https://lucaaup.org/author/contact74b527fe64/ (scroll down)

I think it is outrageous to cloak the governing body of the University in quasi anonymity. There should be transparency which leads to greater accountability. This policy of shrouding the Board in secrecy is an abomination. I wonder if any other schools also seek to hide their Boards of Trustees?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:39 am 

I am in total agreement with swellafelon on the transparency issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:44 am 

Thanks 64.
Did a little more research. Here is a Phoenix article from 9 months ago about the issue:
http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/10/some-l ... -trustees/

The link (PDF) in the Phoenix article is to a Deloitte audit of Loyola for the period ending June 30, 2019 which lists at the end of the 40 page report Loyola Trustees. Ricketts not among them. Probably Loyola was required by law to make public the audit.
No telling what the current composition of the Board of Trustees is. I guess we'll have to wait for the next audit to come out.

Per Todd Ricketts Wiki bio, he is a member of Loyola's Board (actually "Council") of Regents. The Phoenix article states that the list of Regents was also yanked from Loyola's website (and to my knowledge is completely inaccessible anywhere) after member Alderman Ed Burke was indicted by the feds for extortion, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:27 am 

As much as we carry a great mission statement....focus on social justice....The university has to function with in the City of Chicago......I am guessing that a movie about what LU has had to do to make deals w the City of Chicago over the years, to move forward etc...would be outstanding...and incredibly interesting...and someplace,,,,I am guessing in the catacombs under Mella Donna Strada..there have been some backslapping, handshaking,,,Talamore Dew toasts...etc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:33 am 

I wonder how much Loyola benefited in Springfield over the years because of Senate President Mike Madigan and (former) House Speaker John Cullerton, both Loyola alums?