It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 am 

Not according to this Professor, who rated over 400 colleges using various parameters and classified colleges as "Thrive, Survive, Struggle, or Perish"
My jaw dropped when I scrolled down the list and saw us as "Perish".

Admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time studying his methodology so I don't know how supportable his conclusion is. I'm going to look it over some more and see how other Valley schools are rated as well, but in the meantime all I can say is "Wow!"

https://www.profgalloway.com/uss-university

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:46 pm 

I'm not sure what they mean by "perish," but I certainly don't think that there is any truth to Loyola being wiped away completely by all of this. They are going to struggle with enrollment, just like everyone else, and probably for the next several years...and I'm sure there are going to be inevitable cuts.... but we will weather the storm. We are the sixth largest catholic school in the country with a nearly $700 million endowment. If we pay the ultimate price, then that probably means that there are not going to be a whole of other schools that weather the storm other than Georgetown and Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 pm 

I took a look at this, and I think it's extremely objective. I even copied and pasted the worksheet into a new Excel sheet to sort the various categories and examine the criteria he uses. Loyola appears to score pretty well on nearly every metric. Nevertheless, he puts Loyola and some other well-regarded schools in the Perish category (including Knox College, Smith College, St. John's in NYC, Illinois Institute of Technology, and Kent State).

Take a look at how he defines the quadrants, and let me know if you think this is where Loyola is right now....

Quote:
Quadrants:

Thrive: The elite schools and those that offer strong value have an opportunity to emerge stronger as they consolidate the market, double down on exclusivity, and/or embrace big and small tech to increase the value via a decrease in cost per student.
Survive: Schools that will see demand destruction and lower revenue, but will be fine, as they have the brand equity, credential-to-cost ratio, and/or endowments to weather the storm.
Struggle: Tier-2 schools with one or more comorbidities, such as high admit rates (anemic waiting lists), high tuition, or scant endowments.
Perish: Sodium pentathol cocktail of high admit rates, high tuition, low endowments, dependence on international students, and weak brand equity.

Loyola has a fairly high admit rate, but that's coming down. I think if Loyola limited their admissions (the size of freshmen classes have been rising to what is now the highest enrollment in many years) and lowered the "list price" of tuition, that would fix the high admission issue pretty quickly. The endowment is not terrible compared to peer institutions, but needs to grow about 20% to keep up with benchmarks for similar schools.

Marquette, a school very similar to Loyola in many ways-- almost the closest analog to Loyola on this list-- is listed in the Thrive category with an endowment just barely (2%?) more than Loyola. Holy Cross is listed as a Thrive. Boston College is a Thrive. Loyola Marymount, Georgetown, Santa Clara, and Gonzaga are listed as Survive. Most of those Jesuit schools in the Survive category have higher tuitions. DePaul is listed to Survive, even though their endowment per student is far below Loyola's. Loyola is the largest enrollment Jesuit university in the country, and has a lower than average foreign student number.

So basically, I don't know what this list reflects.... the metrics like "Vulnerability Score" don't even appear to correlate with the end conclusion. Note that the end determination column is labeled as "Professor G's Categorization," and from what I can determine, all the other data is meaningless in contributing to that categorization.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 pm 

I’ve now spent a good amount of time reviewing this and have decided it’s stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:40 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
I’ve now spent a good amount of time reviewing this and have decided it’s stupid.

That's good enough for me Toledo. Thanks to JCT also for getting me out of homework.

Still a bit of a shock though to think that Loyola could cease to exist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am 

Hey Swella, look what happened to Pompeii.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm 

JC64 wrote:
Hey Swella, look what happened to Pompeii.

True enough. To add insult to injury, the 79-80 A.D. Pompeii University Vulcans were the odds on favorite to win the Campania Coastal Conference Harpastum Title before Vesuvius erupted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 pm 

Its a valiant effort by the good professor to appear to be scientific. (with his axes and quadrants)
It actually is a poorly thought out piece of crap that served its purpose to draw attention to the author.
Yes, universities will need to adjust but the world did not suddenly turn flat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
Its a valiant effort by the good professor to appear to be scientific...
It actually is a poorly thought out piece of crap that served its purpose to draw attention to the author.

I’m stealing this for future use, with full attribution to you, of course.

But, to be fair, I’ve had judges tell me something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 am 

01grad wrote:
25yearstreak wrote:
Its a valiant effort by the good professor to appear to be scientific...

I’m stealing this for future use, with full attribution to you, of course.

But, to be fair, I’ve had judges tell me something similar.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

His study is kind of slipshod. It is completely missing Loyola Maryland. Also, his quadrant shows Fordham in the Survive category, but his spreadsheet shows Fordham as a perish. No way the Jesuits are closing down their flagship schools in NYC and Chicago. IMO, if Loyola closes, then I think just about 2/3 of the higher education institutions in the country will close, and I just don't see the pandemic being that drastic.