It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:41 am 

I talked to someone associated with the Myrtle Beach tournament yesterday and they indicated they would be getting direction from the NCAA next week September
16th as to the tournament direction. This tourney is associated with ESPN for it is a big deal tv wise. The most likely outcome would be having the tourney but with no fans in the stands and the teams being in some kind of bubble whatever that means.
I think the direction of this tourney will give us a feel for what the upcoming season basketball wise will be.
With all of the publicity regarding school such as Bradley, Kansas and Iowa having major outbreaks with the student population (gee what a surprise), my guess is that we will have a reduced schedule starting in January. (As an fyi at Kansas 700 students signed a petition asking the school to close down but keep in mind the student population is 28,000).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:47 am 

While many make the trip for these tournaments, including some here, fans at preseason tournaments won’t be as impactful as it would be to not have fans during regular home games.

We might have discussed this before (days, weeks, months, and thoughts are all a blur these days), but if they decide to not have fans at games this year, I wonder if the school would consider doing what the NBA and MLB is doing and have people buy cutouts to put in the stands? While it obviously wouldn’t make up for all lost revenue, it could be a decent fundraiser.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am 

Jon Rothstein said this morning that Myrtle Beach (along with others) will be played in an Orlando bubble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:10 am 

Very exciting! I had started to give up hope on the season, this is great news.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:54 am 

With so many teams in the same area, I wonder if this could lead to additional “bubble” non conference games between teams there at the same time. I read a while ago about such an idea being discussed, but nothing saying it would definitely happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm 

There's going to be a big NCAA meeting tomorrow (Wednesday, September 16) that should give a lot more info on what plans are.....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... all-season

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:30 pm 

I think the best thing to do would be a round robin in all of these tournaments. That would increase the number of games. It also would increase losses for some teams as well however so it won't happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 am 

01grad wrote:
With so many teams in the same area, I wonder if this could lead to additional “bubble” non conference games between teams there at the same time. I read a while ago about such an idea being discussed, but nothing saying it would definitely happen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:49 am 

I’m not really sure if this is good or bad, or what it means for the overall tournament schedule. But it’s news, nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 am 

It’s unfortunate only because Nebraska is a big name, and I hope it doesn’t impact anybody else dropping.

As far as basketball, not a huge impact IMO. Nebraska finished 162 in Kenpom last year, although maybe they were due for an improvement with Hoiberg