It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: And so it begins...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:44 pm 

PM would be a great hire. He has done a lot at Loyola in ten years and deserves a step up opportunity.
He knows Kraft, a Jesuit institution, a much better league and a chance to have as peers some great names.
He would be foolish to pass it up if offered. Boston is a great city as well.
Would not be surprised at all and maybe even Krut and Williamson would follow.
No matter what, if PM leaves I wish him well.
If so, I would like to see Valentine move up. I think he is ready.
And I think our cupboard is full enough so we will be very competitive.
I also have to think that our AD will be ready.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:59 pm 

I think priority number 1 is to keep Krutwig and Williamson next year, which is probably the biggest plus in Valentine’s favor. That said, I think we should definitely kick the tires at the least regarding other coaches just to see what the market looks like for us. I think we’ll be a hot job for a lot of coaches: up-and-comers, established guys, power 5 coaches looking to beat the firing mob at their current school.

To just blindly turn the reigns over to an under 30 year old assistant who’s not even the top assistant coach we currently have on staff is super risky. Ask any SIU fan about Chris lowery. In 2018, Xavier let Porter know up front he wasn’t option 1 so he declined their interview. Their option 1 was a 30 something year old they promoted from within. Xavier is now probably on their 3rd consecutive year of not making the NCAA tournament. His seat will start to get very warm very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:06 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
PM would be a great hire. He has done a lot at Loyola in ten years and deserves a step up opportunity.
He knows Kraft, a Jesuit institution, a much better league and a chance to have as peers some great names.

With how easy it is to transfer now, I would expect some of our “cupboard” to leave if Porter does. Not necessarily to whatever school he goes to, but I would be shocked if everyone stayed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
I think priority number 1 is to keep Krutwig and Williamson next year, which is probably the biggest plus in Valentine’s favor. That said, I think we should definitely kick the tires at the least regarding other coaches just to see what the market looks like for us. I think we’ll be a hot job for a lot of coaches: up-and-comers, established guys, power 5 coaches looking to beat the firing mob at their current school.

To just blindly turn the reigns over to an under 30 year old assistant who’s not even the top assistant coach we currently have on staff is super risky. Ask any SIU fan about Chris lowery. In 2018, Xavier let Porter know up front he wasn’t option 1 so he declined their interview. Their option 1 was a 30 something year old they promoted from within. Xavier is now probably on their 3rd consecutive year of not making the NCAA tournament. His seat will start to get very warm very quickly.

Oof. Please don’t. That’s the nightmare scenario I fear. A coach who might come in and have a great year or two riding coattails, but tanks the program long term.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:16 pm 

Apparently the implication was that what would begin is wild, unhinged speculation about coaches and players!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:35 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:

That’s a lot of speculation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:49 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:

It would be foolish to not consider the offer, I don't think denying it would be foolish. There are a lot of variable to weigh and that's up to Porter to decide, he seems happy in Chicago at Loyola. There's more risk involved with leaving, he's already making more money than most people would ever need.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:17 pm 

What offer? This whole thread happened because one writer included Porter's name among eight others after the BC coach was let go. Now we're picking out neighborhoods for Porter to move to, picking his successor at Loyola, and sketching out recruiting strategies for his successor's assistants.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:24 pm 

BC coach just fired was reportedly making 1.3 - 1.4 million per year. That really isn't much more than Porter is making now, right?

That, coupled with worse facilities than Loyola, an extremely competitive conference, no real tradition/fanbase, a football-first school...I just don't see BC as being a likely destination for Porter. I think BC will go after someone with strong East Coast ties (current Bonnie's coach, Michigan assistant, etc.). He will be too hot of a name to settle for what might be the worst P5 job.

Now if Marquette or Northwestern open up. .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:31 pm 

This thread actually started like two hours before the article was published!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next