It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: And so it begins...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:20 pm 

My gut tells me that lusuperfan has some sort of nebulous insider connection to the college basketball coaching rumor mill.

Not sure if his sources are live or virtual, but he is consistently an early-in-the-know reporter when it comes to who's in, who's out and who's going where in the coaching community.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm 

Why always me?

He's a national hoops writer that I follow on Twitter. I have no further info from that tweet other than pure speculation. Is it unpleasant to think of PM leaving? Sure, but this is a message board. What's the point if we can't wildly speculate?

In more happy national college basketball twitter news, Jon Rothstein interviewed Porter for his podcast today.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 4796616705

Also, I guess a congrats is in order for former LU assistant Scott Spinelli, who will serve as BC's interim head coach as soon as their program leaves their COVID shutdown.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:38 pm 

JCT wrote:
What offer? This whole thread happened because one writer included Porter's name among eight others after the BC coach was let go. Now we're picking out neighborhoods for Porter to move to, picking his successor at Loyola, and sketching out recruiting strategies for his successor's assistants.

This is what we do on here JCT, you should know you’ve been here forever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:46 pm 

So will Porter's daughter on the women's basketball team transfer to BC when he accepts the new job? I wonder if she will live with him or get her own apartment in Boston... Many questions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:50 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
JCT wrote:
What offer? This whole thread happened because one writer included Porter's name among eight others after the BC coach was let go. Now we're picking out neighborhoods for Porter to move to, picking his successor at Loyola, and sketching out recruiting strategies for his successor's assistants.

This is what we do on here JCT, you should know you’ve been here forever.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:51 am 

Twitter is so annoying....it is like a 4th grade class where the teacher is half blind and rampant note passing is elevated to an art form......having that said . Porter will do what Porter will do...I still think there are a ton of reasons for Porter to stay.....but I am not going to worry about...been going to games since 63.....will continue to go...far more concerned that Hamiltons closed down. I really hope we are not a bunch of fair weather fans..who will abandon the Ramblers if we have a couple bad years....that also would be incredibly disappointing...Porter or no Porter still a great University that I love going back to and watch the Ramblers with friends.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:10 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Twitter is so annoying....it is like a 4th grade class where the teacher is half blind and rampant note passing is elevated to an art form......having that said . Porter will do what Porter will do...I still think there are a ton of reasons for Porter to stay.....but I am not going to worry about...been going to games since 63.....will continue to go...far more concerned that Hamiltons closed down. I really hope we are not a bunch of fair weather fans..who will abandon the Ramblers if we have a couple bad years....that also would be incredibly disappointing...Porter or no Porter still a great University that I love going back to and watch the Ramblers with friends.

There are a lot of words (including some three and four letter words) that can be used to describe most of us on the board. “Fair weather” would not be two of them. Although, I suppose if you’ve lived through nothing but terrible winter weather, and then get a taste of perfect Spring sunshine, some might choose not to return to the cold. Me? I was born and raised in Illinois, so I’m used to both. And I’m used to that perfect weather not sticking around long. But I’m still here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 am 

The minute we start losing again I'm outta here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:10 pm 

I mean really this golden era, as 25 aptly described it, as been great....but I remember the 70, 90s etc....and it wasnt so much the losing as the empty crowds with little student involvement....It is hard as a mid-major to continue excellence....and for one reason or another...we may have some bad seasons....I hope the game day atmosphere that has been created remains..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:21 pm 

I am projecting here, but if I am PM, I don't think there are many jobs that would make me move. To me, it would need to be the Big Ten.

First, his family is here. His kids are in school and he is from the area. Totally sexist, but happy wife - happy life. He spent 20 years going from job to job and now he has been here 10 years. Most college towns are not Chicago or the suburbs. They are nice towns, but your not going to Gibson's for your anniversary dinner.
Second, his recruiting base is primarily Illinois, Indiana and the Midwest. If he is successful in Illinois and Indiana, he never needs an overnight recruiting trip. I don't think this is lost on him. I am sure he can look at a bunch of colleagues who left successful mid-majors only to be fired after 3 seasons.
Third, he has successfully transitioned assistant coaches. He has withstood his top assistant leaving the program and brought in assistants who have continued to build upon the success. It is imperative to attract and retain assistants if you are going to be successful.
Fourth, he is building the program his way. There is not a bevy of boosters who are willing to interfere with the program or his architecture. The program's success is tied to him. It seems like if he wants something, he gets it.

As a result, it would take a lot of money to make me move. It would not be a 10% pay increase to make me consider another job. It would need to be life changing money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next