It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: And so it begins...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:43 pm 

So Porter is a hot topic on the NOrthwestern Boards....many are not happy with Coach Collins....in fact a ton of them made sure to watch the Ramblers on Saturday.....He is the name that keeps coming up over there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:54 pm 

And isn't the Northwestern AD, Porter's neighbor in Winnetka?

And didn't NU poach our men's volleyball coach.

I wonder if Porter went to NU if he would schedule Loyola.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:00 pm 

Other than money (which isn’t a small thing, depending on the size of the check), I don’t see Northwestern as an actual step up. Porter repeatedly says things that matter to him are (1) making the tournament; and (2) competing for a national championship. Quite honestly, that seems easier to do at Loyola than it does Northwestern. Not just recently, but pretty much historically.

In any event, I’m tired of discussing such a downer topic during such a great year. Let’s enjoy the ride while it’s here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:43 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
So Porter is a hot topic on the NOrthwestern Boards....many are not happy with Coach Collins....in fact a ton of them made sure to watch the Ramblers on Saturday.....He is the name that keeps coming up over there

They must have not watched Sunday, or the choke job in the tournaments the previous two years, or the underperformance in '18-19 with two conference players of the year (possibly three depending on what happens with Krutwig this year).

Last edited by AMDG on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:49 pm 

Northwestern is not going to make a change. They have no seniors on their roster. Collins has a strong recruiting class for next year. They have played an extremely difficult schedule. They have an 11 game losing streak, but 9 of those teams are ranked and the other two losses were away games by 3 points. It's not going to happen this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:22 pm 

You guys are gonna drive yourselves goofy speculating over every job that comes open or might come open. If Porter leaves he leaves. Life will go on. The fact of the matter is he has created a good program here. This is an attractive job should he leave. Good facilities, name recognition, travel on charters, TV time. LU would not necessarily be stuck having to promote from within. Will Porter leave, only he knows for sure, but like I have posted before it would have to be a perfect job at a school he wants to coach at. I do not think he wants to go through a rebuild as he built a good reputation and rebuilds are tricky. If he left, I would think it would be for a job at an established program where maybe the coach is retiring, not being fired because they stink.

So, relax and let’s enjoy the ride this year. We got Valpo, and then a break of 10 days to heal, work, and get ready for SIU and Arch Madness. We are fortunate to get some time off this late in the year. We have been playing a 100 miles an hour and it will be good take a breath and get recharged. Hopefully Porter and the staff will do some quality control and see what we were doing when we were bouncing teams by 20+ and get back to that. As the season is progressing we are stating ever so slightly to revert to what we did in years past. I really think we are at our best when we are not forcing the ball low to Krut. Our three point attempts have been shrinking and it looks like there is now some hesitation creeping back into offense. Our defense will keep it close even if we miss some threes. We put Evansville away not because we were forcing it down low to Krut, but because we buried 2 late threes. At Drake, they packed the lane and shut off drives because we were not shooting threes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 pm 

01grad wrote:

... I’m tired of discussing such a downer topic during such a great year. Let’s enjoy the ride while it’s here!

I'm with you Grad. Nothing's going to happen until after the season's over so let's table this discussion until then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
And didn't NU poach our men's volleyball coach.

That's true, but circumstances couldn't be more different. When Shane Davis moved from men's to women's volleyball, his recruiting got easier because he went from recruiting (inter)nationally to being able to recruit the Midwest. His chances of making the NCAA tournament improved because the number of bids increased from 4 (at the time) in the men's game to 64 in the women's. He moved from a so-so conference to one of the strongest in the country. Given the differences in the men's and women's games, Loyola couldn't have done anything to compete this.

I don't think that move bears any precedent applicable to the basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:52 am 

natetheskate wrote:
I really hope we are not a bunch of fair weather fans...

After this week, if I’m Porter Moser, I’m finding the furthest south school with an opening and going there regardless of conference affiliation. Locations with an average low temperature under 70 degrees need not apply

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:24 am 

AMDG wrote:
natetheskate wrote:

They must have not watched Sunday, or the choke job in the tournaments the previous two years, or the underperformance in '18-19 with two conference players of the year (possibly three depending on what happens with Krutwig this year).

Wow, that's a really glass half-empty assessment of the Porter Moser years at Loyola! The MVC is a very competitive conference, so it is unrealistic to think a program can run through it year after year. Being at or near the top each year is an accomplishment in and of itself, even if the ultimate prize of winning Arch Madness and getting the automatic bid is not achieved each year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next