It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: And so it begins...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm 

Unfortunately, I'm guess Ty Johnson decommits and that Kennedy may enter the portal.

This could be a bad couple of weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:08 pm 

GoRamblers wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm guess Ty Johnson decommits and that Kennedy may enter the portal.

This could be a bad couple of weeks...

I hope Valentine is on the phone with them right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:12 pm 

The transfer portal will be VERY interesting next week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm 

A simply incredible run here at the Gentile for PM. Final 4! I mean, let’s remember he took a team that shared a practice court with 3 other university teams to a final 4! Backed it up 3 years later with a sweet 16 and a dismantling of the #1 seed.

I don’t think this decision was done lightly, but in the end it was a good time for him to leave. The program is in great shape with strong recognition, beautiful facilities and so on. Hopefully we can keep building it up.

Bottom line - we win the Valley and get an 8 seed. Oklahoma takes 7th in the Big 12 and gets an...8 seed.

To me that is the ultimate reason he left (along with, and I’m guessing here, another $2m a year). He is now coaching in one of the best conferences in America and these football schools are throwing real $ at the hoops guys now. Lots of resources to build a great program in Norman.

Graduation rate, Character rate were just off the charts with his teams - even the losing ones.

I wish him the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm 

So now that Porter is gone, how much of the team does everything think is going to transfer?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:21 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
So now that Porter is gone, how much of the team does everything think is going to transfer?

As much as I love keeping players around and watching them develop, I think the more important thing is getting the right coach in place. With 1,000 names in the portal already, there will be plenty of players available. There's just an insane amount of turnover everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:27 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
Bottom line - we win the Valley and get an 8 seed. Oklahoma takes 7th in the Big 12 and gets an...8 seed.

To me that is the ultimate reason he left (along with, and I’m guessing here, another $2m a year). He is now coaching in one of the best conferences in America and these football schools are throwing real $ at the hoops guys now.

Probably more of the former than the latter according to this tweet. Don't know how much we offered but he was already getting over a million.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:39 pm 

It's the best deal he would ever get. He's taking over a very solid program in the wake of a retirement rather than a firing. The opportunity came up just when he was possibly at his peak at Loyola. Short of another Final Four appearance or a run of top ten seasons, his power 6 options would have been rebuilds like St John's.

...and I hadn't even begun to process the loss of Chris Beard at Texas Tech where I spent 39 years before coming back home. It will be fun to watch Beard and Moser go at it if you like defense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:54 pm 

Scream wrote:
It's the best deal he would ever get. He's taking over a very solid program in the wake of a retirement rather than a firing. The opportunity came up just when he was possibly at his peak at Loyola. Short of another Final Four appearance or a run of top ten seasons, his power 6 options would have been rebuilds like St John's.

...and I hadn't even begun to process the loss of Chris Beard at Texas Tech where I spent 39 years before coming back home. It will be fun to watch Beard and Moser go at it if you like defense.

This is why Oklahoma stood out to me, too, when everyone seemed focused on Indiana and DePaul. Indiana was a situation that I could never see him entertaining. Oklahoma...like I said earlier in the week, he cut his coaching teeth as an assistant in Texas, in the same conference as Oklahoma, and has recruited that area even while here. It’s not as crazy a job in terms of expectations as other Big 12 schools like Kansas and Texas, but with a pretty good history. It’s about as “safe” of a power 5 conference job as you can get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:01 pm 

Agree with all that, grad. Except you probably don't remember that Tx A&M where Porter worked for his coach from Creighton, Tony Barrone, was in the Southwest Conference before the Big 8 took 4 of it's teams in around 1997 to form the Big 12.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next