It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: And so it begins...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 pm 

GoRamblers wrote:
Some former players had some things to say:

On the flipside of those two:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:04 pm 

I am not surprised. My take was if PM left, it would be to bigger profile job where the coach retired. Unfortunately, we lost to OSU. Had we been in the final four, OU might have filled the job! We just couldn’t make a damn one 3! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 pm 

Now my eyes turn to Steve Watson. Admittedly, I know very little about AD hiring, but I saw that Barry Alvarez is retiring from his longstanding post as Wisconsin AD on June 30. I have to imagine Watson at least gets a look. He has done such an incredible job with the entire athletics department here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm 

Zero chance Watson gets a look at Wisconsin. His AD stops have been at none football schools and Wisco is first and foremost a football place. Steve would be an amazing fit for any number of high level basketball only schools though, thankfully none seem to be open at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:31 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
Zero chance Watson gets a look at Wisconsin. His AD stops have been at none football schools and Wisco is first and foremost a football place. Steve would be an amazing fit for any number of high level basketball only schools though, thankfully none seem to be open at the moment.

That is a good point and makes sense. I suppose Big East schools would be the biggest risks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 pm 

Coach Drew is ready to sail and setup to succeed. Coach PM in Norman has as broken roster and runs a system that is unproven with Big XII competition. PM had better have a quicker turn around than he did here, I suspect OU fans and donors will have high expectations immediately. Choppy water ahead for PM is my prediction.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 pm 

Rambling On wrote:
Coach Drew is ready to sail and setup to succeed. Coach PM in Norman has as broken roster and runs a system that is unproven with Big XII competition. PM had better have a quicker turn around than he did here, I suspect OU fans and donors will have high expectations immediately. Choppy water ahead for PM is my prediction.

Porter is already building up the roster--landed some pretty big time transfers (the Groves brothers from E. Washington and Goldwire from Duke). His system might not attract 5 star one-and-dones...but then again, people used to say that about Gonzaga and they just landed the #1 recruit in the country and will have a guy go top 2 or 3 in the NBA draft. I think OU will be behind the likes of Baylor, Kansas and Texas in the Big XII, but Texas Tech will likely be down, Iowa State is down, Kansas State is down, Okie State is losing Cunningham. All he has to do is finish middle of the pack to punch a ticket.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:46 pm 

I'm honestly pretty surprised at how many people here are betting against Moser to succeed. You would think we would be the last fanbase to underestimate the man's ability to win.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:15 am 

I think Kansas State may think his system worked pretty good against them in 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 am 

jmiller2794 wrote:
I'm honestly pretty surprised at how many people here are betting against Moser to succeed. You would think we would be the last fanbase to underestimate the man's ability to win.

For me, it's not betting against him to win, but there are some big time factors that worked in his favor here that may not work at a P5 school.

First, his system requires players to buy in. This is the easiest to achieve anywhere, but with P5 programs...how long will they go with no big time recruits if he is unable to get 5 star recruits to buy in?

Next, what's going to happen to some of the big time recruits if they don't play defense and get benched? How long will they continue to "buy in"? Will they end up like Avery...disenchanted and ready to leave?

There are some other issues but these strike me as the biggest. Regardless, he's gone. What he does from here on out has nothing to do with us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next