It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Assistant Coaches
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm 

A little surprised none of the assistants are from Chicago area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06 pm 

jim wrote:

me too

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
jim wrote:

me too

Obviously unsure how big of a role he has is recruiting, but worth noting London is from Schaumburg, so you do still have a local guy on staff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 am 

AMDG wrote:
RamblerNation wrote:
...I've always hated the Big 12. The most boring, least inspired, least cultured basketball after the Big 10. For all the money they have and all the "talent" they talk about, they are from a historic or impactful player on the culture of college basketball...what the big historic stories in the Big 12? For me what comes to mind are" 1) Bobby Knight going to Texas Tech and failing and 2) Scott Drew...

Yeah, what does that conference have other than one the top three programs in the history of college basketball at which the sport was created, the likely top pick in the NBA draft this year, the 2020 national champions...Horrible league, I tell ya

Thanks AMDG but I can't help but add that Big 12 (Big Eight plus Southwest Conference) history is more than KU. Bob Knight and Scott Drew are hardly historic in the conference. How about Oklahoma State and Henry Iba? Kansas State and a guy Nation may actually remember named Tex Winter? A number of teams trace back to the second oldest conference in the country, the MVC. The Big 12 is only 25 years old but there are rich basketball traditions in both of the leagues from which it was formed. Games?, e.g., Oklahoma's four point loss to Kansas in the 1988 national final is a classic. You're entitled to think it's boring, but you can't say it doesn't have significant history.

Bob Knight did not fail at Texas Tech. He executed the most amazing transition in a basketball program I have ever seen. And he did it in seven months after stripping the roster down to three players, turning a 9-19 team into a 23-9 team. He won at least 21 games in five of his six complete seasons and went to the NCAA 4 times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:34 am 

Quote:
Bob Knight did not fail at Texas Tech. He executed the most amazing transition in a basketball program I have ever seen. And he did it in seven months after stripping the roster down to three players, turning a 9-19 team into a 23-9 team. He won at least 21 games in five of his six complete seasons and went to the NCAA 4 times.

As much as I dislike Bobby Knight...its a good point.....just gonna take us a little time to get over being left at the curb....maybe I will get some of those emotion stickers I got for my grandson...and pass em around
Happened to be at the Northwestern game where the NU fans went all WHOSE YOUR (Hoosier) DADDY ? on him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:57 am 

While I remain deeply uninspired by Big 12 basketball (and Big 10 as well), looking back at Bobby Knight's record at Texas Tech is a real eye-opener. I remember when he left the program and was speaking with the press, he gave the impression that he wasn't satisfied with the outcomes he got. There seemed to be something messy about his departure. But he was successful in his time at Texas Tech. Maybe not as much as his time at IU but you're right that he had an immediate, positive impact. Perhaps I let my dislike for Bobby Knight the person and his famous, nearly impossible record at Indiana color my judgement of him at Texas Tech.

But, all that said, my favorite memory of Bobby Knight at Texas Tech was when they were beaten by tiny Centenary College in famous Gold Dome in Shreveport. I heard that the Knight got in a yelling match with some fans in the stands and then left early because he was feeling ill. It was like an early Christmas present to everyone who loves Mid-Major Basketball.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/bo ... ry-la.html

natetheskate wrote:
Quote:

As much as I dislike Bobby Knight...its a good point.....just gonna take us a little time to get over being left at the curb....maybe I will get some of those emotion stickers I got for my grandson...and pass em around
Happened to be at the Northwestern game where the NU fans went all WHOSE YOUR (Hoosier) DADDY ? on him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10