It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Assistant Coaches
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:02 pm 

The schedule (in normal years) isn't released until about early September.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:27 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
Porter just added an assistant coach with Texas experience.

1. Does anyone know if the current Oklahoma staff status is?

2. I thought I had heard that Matt Gordon and Clayton Custer were following PM to Oklahoma. Yet there names were
still on the Loyola staff directory.

The article on Alston going to Oklahoma from the Kansas City Star said Custer helped get him to Oklahoma and he’s on Porters staff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 am 

Kansas City Star article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 64539.html

I am withdrawing my apology for my "poaching" remark...

Last edited by swellafelon on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 am 

Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 am 

So, I'm guessing London and Patrick Wallace are staying and becoming assistant coaches?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:02 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Kansas City Star article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 64539.html

I am withdrawing my apology for my "poaching" remark...

I withdraw my "defense" of OU and Porter. And will refrain from saying anything mean-spirited as I've told myself that I have "moved on."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:45 am 

I think an interesting candidate for the "Associate Head Coach/Mentor" position we all seem to agree Drew needs to help him launch his head coaching career is Doug Wojcik, Paxson's dad, who is currently on staff at Michigan State as Director of Recruiting.

Wojcik, 57, is currently under consideration to fill the MSU assistant coach position vacated by Dane Fife, who left for Indiana. But if Wojcik isn't hired by Izzo I think Drew and Watson should take a close look at him.

Here is Doug Wojcik's bio from Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Wojcik

Two head coaching gigs at Tulsa and Charleston plus assistantships at bluebloods North Carolina, MSU and Gonzaga. Pretty impressive resume.

One BIG caveat not mentioned in the Wiki article though is that he was dismissed after two winning seasons at Charleston for being abusive to some players.

This was several years ago so hopefully he has mellowed or at least learned his lesson. It might not be a bad thing to have a "Bad Cop" on staff to play against Drew's "Good Cop" personna.

This is all speculation. I have no inside info and no particular personal preferences. I think Greg Lansing is an equally strong candidate, and I'm sure there are others who fit the bill too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 am 

We were wondering about Greg Lansing as a possibility for the Assistant Coaching slots that are open.... Jay Spoonhour from Eastern Illinois is similarly available, with a lot of experience....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Spoonhour

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 am 

Here’s my only question about the Kansas City article, and then I’m done talking about PM: Did PM tell this recruit that he was leaving before he told the Ramblers team and recruits? According to the article the recruit said he knew PM might leave when he was offered, days before the decision was made public. Recall that one of our recruits said that he found out about it on Twitter. Judge from that what you will.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:27 am 

Delicate situation,,,,If Drew is going to be head coach then he has to be head coach,,,,not in name but in fact , If there is going to be an assistant with lots of head coaching experience it has got to be someone Drew is comfortable with....there can be no questions among the players who the head man is...It would seem to me to be hard for an experienced head coach to work under a 29 year old boss .and on the other hand to hire someone who may be younger than Drew has its own pitfalls. Drew does not have time to train a young assistant. Whoever it is has to hit the ground running and be a positive asset....I always thought that Porter was a great game planner, always shut down the opposing teams best scorer and now we find out that Drew has been in charge of the defense for the last two years....We have always been a developmental program except for the rouge big time transfers, and probably will continue to be....so do we need an assistant with strong skill developmental abilities?
What factors do you think are most important in the new assistant? I think it is going to be an important decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next