It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:12 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
Toledo,

You got the catapult idea right, just the wrong way. PM catapulted Krut into the spot he’s in, not the other way around.

Just .... no. That’s insane to think and I’m not even saying that to knock Porter as a coach.

After his freshmen year Krutwig could have transferred out to almost anywhere and he would have been great. I’ll give you that Porter helped him immensely in that first year transitioning into the college game, but after that it was Cam that did the heavy lifting. I’m fact, I would argue that Porter may have held Krutwigs development back towards the next level by not helping him develop and outside shot and putting him in position to take them. I’m not saying that wasn’t a smart move for the Loyola team and his system, but Krutwigs inexperience and weakness from outside the key was intentionally never worked on because of Moser.

If Cam Krutwig left in 2018 - he was going to be successful at almost anywhere he went .... and Loyola would still be good ...but Porter was not going to be able to put himself in position to put himself into consideration for the Oklahoma job in 2021. Loved Moser... but c’mon. This one could not be more obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:36 am 

Toledo,

It’s at this point that I realize that people have very little idea about what goes into recruiting and player development. Krut would not have gone to a P5 conference after his frosh year and been successful. Part of his success is predicated on PM playing through him. How many College teams run their offense through a big???

I’m not saying he didn’t do the work; what I am saying is that his emergence had a lot to do with how he was used and his coach realizing his unique skill set.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:19 am 

Rambling0101 wrote:
Krut would not have gone to a P5 conference after his frosh year and been successful.

Bananas statement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:03 am 

Rambling0101 wrote:
Krut would not have gone to a P5 conference after his frosh year and been successful. Part of his success is predicated on PM playing through him. How many College teams run their offense through a big???

Dude. He had 16 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes in the Final Four against Michigan. He was going to be successful wherever he went! I loved Porter as a coach... but it’s insane to think that Krutwig’s efforts aren’t what played a major factor in Porter getting offered at Oklahoma.

Again - Porter is a great coach, but without Krutwig the last 3 years, Porter is still a coach in the Valley.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 am 

1) My point is that player development had a TON to do with Krut; as did HIS work ethic and the high post system.
2) Porter could’ve gone to St John’s before Kruts Jr year, so the thought he’d still be a valley coach is head scratching.

I Love Krut - and last summer an OK City scout told me that if he were 2 inches taller he’d be the next Joker. This scout thinks he’ll rip up the G league and get 10days. So his future is really bright.

I stand by that nearly every P5 would not have played through him on Offense and is true value would have been diminished. It’s no different than a Carson Wentz type of player— had he gone to a P5 program after his taste of success in year 1, he might’ve not been much. The ability to run a team as Krut did for 2 years was invaluable to his development. Years 1 and 2 it was Custer/Townes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:12 am 

[quote="Rambling0101"2) Porter could’ve gone to St John’s before Kruts Jr year, so the thought he’d still be a valley coach is head scratching.[/quote]

Saint John’s offer came in 2019. Without Krut that year, losing Richardson, Ingram, and Jackson... we don’t get 20 wins, don’t make the NIT, don’t finish first in the Valley, and Saint John’s doesn’t call Porter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:56 am 

I forgot that Krut was MVC player of the year in 2019. My bad...oh wait, somebody just told me about this guy named Townes? Never heard of him, but I guess he was player of the year in the Valley in 2019 and get this — he even went to Loyola.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:38 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
I forgot that Krut was MVC player of the year in 2019. My bad...oh wait, somebody just told me about this guy named Townes? Never heard of him, but I guess he was player of the year in the Valley in 2019 and get this — he even went to Loyola.

Okay... so?.... what? What’s your point? That same year Krutwig averaged 15 points and 7 boards, shooting 63% from the field? Without Krut, Townes isn’t player of the year because Loyola isn’t winning the regular season... they barely won it as it was.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. The most important thing to me is that Krut gets his number retired. He was a massive part of transforming this program.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:19 pm 

Seriously. Why are we still talking about this?

It’s a new era.

It’s time to move on.

And run it back.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:38 pm 

Agreed.

RUN IT BACK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next