It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:54 pm 

Rambling On wrote:
I haven't heard anyone consider freshman talent for starting positions. Depending on defensive prowess, it might be hard to keep them (Johnson) on the bench.

I think a couple of them would be starters on "old" Loyola teams or even a few current MVC teams. But I don't see them starting over anyone we have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:06 pm 

Agreed. I think our 3 (4 counting walk-on Will Smythe) frosh recruits are a very talented group but I'd be surprised if any of them average over 10 minutes a game.
Too many experienced upperclassmen ahead of them.

I'm sure Porter and now Drew have explained to them that, barring injury, they will have to wait their turn.

But their future looks bright!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:58 pm 

In 2017-2018 we had 72% of our scoring returning. We had a grad transfer many here assumed would start. One freshman started and another became our sixth man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 pm 

I know that it is really disappointing that Krut decided to move on, but I for one am very excited to see what Hutson can do. He really showed big time flashes at the end of the season, and with his size, he could really be a force in the Valley. Heck, we still have Knight who is another very skilled, experienced big coming in. Not one man can replace Krut, but with the tandem we have now (plus some minutes with Welch), I think we have a more then capable rotation at the 5.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:32 pm 

If healthy, Knight will start. He is a very good player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 pm 

jim wrote:

I think he will too, if Uguak doesn't return.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:22 pm 

Chiguy14 wrote:
jim wrote:

I think he will too, if Uguak doesn't return.

Agreed, he's a two time Ivy League second teamer. That said while he's listed as a "forward" he is absolutely a 5 man. He played the 5 spot for Dartmouth, they don't have anyone listed as center on their roster.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:15 am 

With Krut officially riding off into the sunset, has anyone heard about additional forward/C depth? We have Hutson, Knight, and Welch; all great pieces but little light depth wise. Looking at the scholarship spreadsheet we have 2 left (unless I’m reading it wrong); hopefully Drew is working the transfer portal to add a big body. Otherwise outside of Hutson we may be playing a bit of small ball.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:33 am 

We might have the deepest mid-major roster in history. 7 of 8 guys returning from a KenPom top 10 / Sweet 16 team. PLUS three very good HS recruits (1 of which, I'd consider 'elite' for the MM level) PLUS two all-conference selections from another mid-major.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:45 am 

Rambler303 wrote:
With Krut officially riding off into the sunset, has anyone heard about additional forward/C depth? We have Hutson, Knight, and Welch; all great pieces but little light depth wise. Looking at the scholarship spreadsheet we have 2 left (unless I’m reading it wrong); hopefully Drew is working the transfer portal to add a big body. Otherwise outside of Hutson we may be playing a bit of small ball.

See the above post, Knight is a 5 man. Him among with Hutson and Welch as a swing 5 we are 3 deep which is what we ran with this year (usually only using 2 a game).. At this point we have a STUFFED roster and I don’t see much benefit to adding anyone else. We already have 15 guys, 2 over a normal seasons limit. If anything I’m curious if we redshirt any freshman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next