It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:47 am 

Blers wrote:
Rambler303 wrote:
With Krut officially riding off into the sunset, has anyone heard about additional forward/C depth? We have Hutson, Knight, and Welch; all great pieces but little light depth wise. Looking at the scholarship spreadsheet we have 2 left (unless I’m reading it wrong); hopefully Drew is working the transfer portal to add a big body. Otherwise outside of Hutson we may be playing a bit of small ball.

See the above post, Knight is a 5 man. Him among with Hutson and Welch as a swing 5 we are 3 deep which is what we ran with this year (usually only using 2 a game).. At this point we have a STUFFED roster and I don’t see much benefit to adding anyone else. We already have 15 guys, 2 over a normal seasons limit. If anything I’m curious if we redshirt any freshman.

Totally makes sense, was curious but you’re right. We already don’t have enough minutes. Wonder if any of the freshman will redshirt. It would make sense with the depth we have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:50 am 

Having flexibility to be able to switch to a lineup loaded with guys 6-6-6’8 is a good thing. It’s can create matchup problems for the other team, which was a big reason why Aundre Jackson off the bench worked so well in 2018. I’m excited to see what we do with this group.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:52 am 

I wonder how the internal conversations about the seniors returning went with guys like Knight and Quise--guys who would have been starters next year and will now likely be very key contributors off the bench. Really hope we can keep everyone on board--it is a very loaded ship.

Norris / Clemons / Lucas / Aher / Hutty

Quise / Knight / Hall / Schweiger first off bench

That's 9 deep right there. Do all the freshmen redshirt (barring injuries)? Where does Damezi fit in? Paxon?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:01 am 

I think Clemons and Aher will be first off the bench. You have to start Kennedy for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:09 am 

Yeah, wish we could know what is going through the heads of guys like Quise and Damezi.

I don’t even know where to start with a lineup (title of this thread). Those practices are going to be a battle, almost every player on our roster would have started when we were first joining the valley. My guess is pretty similar to last year, but I really wanted Marquise to start this year.

Braden
Keith
Lucas
Aher
Hutty (or Knight, I see them either way)

With a bench of:
Marquise
TY
Ryan Schweiger
Damezi
Knight
Tate
Welch

That bench could compete in the valley, and that’s without even mentioning Saint, Pax, Ben. I have no clue how we get them minutes, it will be hard enough to get the bench minutes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:10 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
I think Clemons and Aher will be first off the bench. You have to start Kennedy for sure.

Yeah, I think Kennedy starts no matter what. I could see Uguak starting, but for Knight I’ve always assumed he was going to start at the 5, or with Hutson’s emergence now come in off the bench as a 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 am 

I think Aher will start for sure. He and Lucas are just so important on defense--their athleticism and length will be needed.

Not sure what to make of Clemons vs Quise or Hutty vs Knight. I know Loyola's mantra is all about how being a "starter" is only a big deal in high school. But it does affect minutes and how players view themselves.

One of Quise or Clemons will be the primary ballhandler when Braden takes a rare breather.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 am 

Coach V def has his work cut out for him, with the seniors, my guess is:

PG - Norris
SG - Kennedy
F- Williamson
F - Uguak
F/C - Knight (if completely healthy, if rusty then Hutson starts)

Bench, in no particular order:

Clemons, Hutson, Welch, R. Schweiger, Anderson, Hall. Really can’t see the freshman, even Saint getting much time this year, there is just too much depth. The 5 position will be interesting, think we will see frequent rotations with possibly Welch, Hutson and Knight all getting at least 10 mins a game and whoever is hot hand plays the majority. Don’t think Kennedy can stay on the bench anymore, he is too good offensively to be a sub role only, and Keith shoring up the second unit makes a lot of sense. We probably see different starting 5s at some point, such as Hutson starting against drake with Brodie as we will need size that game. Defense will probably also be a big factor in who starts.

Can’t wait to see what the rotations will be, it’s a great problem to have. Especially if the injury bug creeps in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:21 am 

I want the Marquise Kennedy show. He played 18 minutes per game this year. I hope it doesn't dip below 22 next year. If he get to 35% 3 point shooting he's our best offensive threat now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:27 am 

Our bench is a top 3 or 4 Valley team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next