It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:11 am 

I agree that Quise likely starts. With Krut out, we need a new focal point/instigator on offense, and he's by far the best candidate.

My guess on the rotation by March:

PG: Norris/Clemons
SG: Kennedy/Clemons
SF: Williamson/Thomas
PF: Uguak/Welch
C: Hutson/Knight

Just a hunch, and admittedly one that has high hopes for Thomas to be a contributor right away. There are going to be some odd men out no matter what, and the transfer portal looms...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:21 am 

We currently have 15 scholarship players available. That's three five-man squads (assuming my math is right). We could have 17 if we choose to use our two available scholies.

Rather than think in traditional terms of a starting five or an 8 man rotation, I think we should adopt the hockey model and think in terms of lines or platoons.

Form three platoons and substitute players en masses in platoon-units. Have each platoon go full-tilt until they're gassed then make a "line change". Adjust during the game to take advantage of a hot hand or mismatch.

Take advantage of our depth and give the opponent 40 Minutes of Hell, Rambler-style.

Last edited by swellafelon on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:23 am 

I’d be thrilled but shocked if Saint jumps:

Damezi ( 2 years at Indiana, 1 year on our bench)
Schwieger (3 productive years in the Ivy League)
Paxson (possible, but still such a solid and heady player with 2 years on the roster)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:54 am 

I love the platoon style substitutions. It would be a difficult adjustment for many coaches but I wouldn't be surprised if a number of teams jump on this with their large teams full of returning seniors.

swellafelon wrote:
We currently have 15 scholarship players available. That's three five-man squads (assuming my math is right). We could have 17 if we choose to use our two available scholies.

Rather than think in traditional terms of a starting five or an 8 man rotation, I think we should adopt the hockey model and think in terms of lines or platoons.

Form three platoons and substitute players en masses in platoon-units. Have each platoon go full-tilt until they're gassed then make a "line change". Adjust during the game to take advantage of a hot hand or mismatch.

Take advantage of our depth and give the opponent 40 Minutes of Hell, Rambler-style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:20 am 

An Embarrassment of Riches!

This line-up, this depth and the once-in-a-lifetime gift of having four talented, game-changing returning seniors is beyond unprecedented. It borders on the impossible. Or, at least, on the unbelievable.

But this overflowing cup presents some serious problems as well. What do we do with players like Hebb and Welch? Given the desperate condition of the transfer portal, there is no guarantee that once they are in it that they will end up on any team, let alone a D1 team. But, if they stay at Loyola, they will end up scraping for minutes at the bottom of the pecking order. None of this is there fault. If fact, much of it might be blamed on the continued and growing success of the program. The other big challenge is what do we do with our scholarship freshman? I can't help but think that one or more players will end up redshirting. Partially for development but also to give them the best chance of success in college and possibly as a post-college professional player. Imagine this: Saint Thomas and Schweiger (and maybe two other scholarship players) redshirt their freshman year. They learn all the plays, get bigger/faster/stronger and next year with Tate, Keith, Lucas & Aher are in Europe, these guys are lit, ready and hungry.

And speaking of our freshman, there is also the challenge of the remaining scholarships to consider. If we have them (and I assume the school has given the athletic department the green light to use them...) Who do we sign? From a depth standpoint, we don't really need to get bodies who can impact the game immediately. (You might say we already have too many quality players...). Do we look for kids that have big upside but need a year of development and immediately redshirt them? Or do we look for grad transfers that will be here a year, bring some wisdom and experience and then graduate so we have two fresh scholarships next year?

This is truly a crazy, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I think it offers a huge upside to a program that can clearly see if for its short-term and long-term benefits. But, on the other hand, the challenges it presents are significant and if it is poorly managed, it can have some unwelcome consequences.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:46 am 

Quick thoughts:

1) Stacked? Yes!
2) Competition: Yes. Competition is a great thing. It makes practice better when you have talented players competing for PT and pushing eventual starters. A great quote from the Bulls heyday was that the practices were more competitive that the games.
3) Valentine: Obviously the players who remained committed and the seniors must really like him as a person and as a coach. Cam said something interesting on the Score today. He said that Porter recruited him more than Valentine to play another year, but he couldn't turn his back on LU and do it to the people of Chicago by going to OK. I can only assume that everybody had a head's up the senior were probably going to come back. I do not think this was a shock or surprise to the players. So, will Drew be looser in terms of playing freshman than Porter was? Has he told everyone that all jobs are open for the taking? If the new kids are down with that, I love it! If you do not have a inner belief that you are good enough to play/force your way into the line-up and are looking for guarantees other than you will be given a shot, I don't want you on my basketball team.
4) This team will be dangerous once it jells. We have a hole to fill with Cam gone, but we will have great experience and leadership, and this is now be the most athletic team in LU history. Our system on O and D are complicated, but everyone seems to have a high motor, but it will take some time to get new kids on the same page.
5) Thank God I am long time season ticket holder because this team is going to generate some excitement and tickets could be hard to get!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:47 am 

RamblerNation wrote:
An Embarrassment of Riches!

This line-up, this depth and the once-in-a-lifetime gift of having four talented, game-changing returning seniors is beyond unprecedented. It borders on the impossible. Or, at least, on the unbelievable.

But this overflowing cup presents some serious problems as well. What do we do with players like Hebb and Welch? Given the desperate condition of the transfer portal, there is no guarantee that once they are in it that they will end up on any team, let alone a D1 team. But, if they stay at Loyola, they will end up scraping for minutes at the bottom of the pecking order. None of this is there fault. If fact, much of it might be blamed on the continued and growing success of the program. The other big challenge is what do we do with our scholarship freshman? I can't help but think that one or more players will end up redshirting. Partially for development but also to give them the best chance of success in college and possibly as a post-college professional player. Imagine this: Saint Thomas and Schweiger (and maybe two other scholarship players) redshirt their freshman year. They learn all the plays, get bigger/faster/stronger and next year with Tate, Keith, Lucas & Aher are in Europe, these guys are lit, ready and hungry.

And speaking of our freshman, there is also the challenge of the remaining scholarships to consider. If we have them (and I assume the school has given the athletic department the green light to use them...) Who do we sign? From a depth standpoint, we don't really need to get bodies who can impact the game immediately. (You might say we already have too many quality players...). Do we look for kids that have big upside but need a year of development and immediately redshirt them? Or do we look for grad transfers that will be here a year, bring some wisdom and experience and then graduate so we have two fresh scholarships next year?

This is truly a crazy, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I think it offers a huge upside to a program that can clearly see if for its short-term and long-term benefits. But, on the other hand, the challenges it presents are significant and if it is poorly managed, it can have some unwelcome consequences.

Unless they're going to go out and get some additional big man depth, it honestly might not be the worst idea just to keep the two scholarships open. You could find a guy who's looking to transfer mid-season, give him the extra time to adapt to the team/plays/culture, then use him the following season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:14 pm 

Dansen wrote:
I’d be thrilled but shocked if Saint jumps:

Damezi ( 2 years at Indiana, 1 year on our bench)
Schwieger (3 productive years in the Ivy League)
Paxson (possible, but still such a solid and heady player with 2 years on the roster)

Damezi -- I'm probably being unfair to him and he deserves a shot to prove himself, but I just get the feeling that failing to see any time with both schools is telling. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong.

Schweiger/Paxson, yes both will get minutes for sure, but I just think if Thomas is an impact freshman, he pushes them out of the way. The transfer portal just presents such a huge change to playing time calculus, if you've got an impact freshman, you've got to show them love and give them PT over upperclassmen who have hit their developmental ceiling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:11 pm 

Ramblernation, Hebb is already in Transfer Portal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:54 pm 

I'm glad we finally got the news today and can have this long awaited conversation. I was shocked Anderson barely played this season, given his eligibility. Could it be that he didn't fit Porter's system? Maybe. He looked good out there in the few minutes he played. Could the high school scouts have gotten him wrong? Maybe. I wonder if he'll get any PT this year.

Paxson has played sparse minutes in his Loyola career so far, and I don't think that will change this year. I also don't expect the freshman Schweiger to play very many minutes either. Welch, who showed a lot of progress last year could very well see a drop in minutes. I like the idea of a freshman or two red shirting. I'm curious if they knew that any seniors were coming back prior to announcing their final commitment last week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next