It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:31 pm 

Thinking about the starting line up and rotation for next year, here is my best guess at a minutes distribution. Let me know what you think, because I think this could go 100 different ways:

PG: Norris 30 / Kennedy 10
SG: Clemons 25 / Kennedy 15
SF: Williamson 30/ R Schwieger 10
PF: Uguak 20 / R Schwieger 10 / Anderson 10
C: Knight 20 / Hutson 15 / Welch 5

Totals:
Norris 30
Williamson 30
Clemons 25
Kennedy 25
Uguak 20
Knight 20
R Schwieger 20
Hutson 15
Anderson 10
Welch 5

Maybe others (Ty Johnson or Saint Thomas come to mine especially) are able to crack the rotation, but I think going 11 deep may arguably be too much. This is a great problem to have, we are just so deep and it could go so many ways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:35 pm 

Wow...and I just realized I completely forgot about Hall :shock: . Slot him in for another 20 minutes, likely taking time from Schwieger and Anderson mostly. I am not jealous of Coach Valentine working out these rotations

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:54 pm 

JArsy_22 wrote:
Wow...and I just realized I completely forgot about Hall :shock: . Slot him in for another 20 minutes, likely taking time from Schwieger and Anderson mostly. I am not jealous of Coach Valentine working out these rotations

Yeah, to answer the original question, yes, I am worried about this situation. We have great players, so I'm sure we'll be fine in terms of results, but I have no idea how you can keep 15 scholarship players happy. And you can't play certain guys 5 or 10 minutes a game and expect them to develop and be at their best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:24 pm 

Here’s the the thing. We all assume that these kids want to stay to play 30 minutes a game, no matter what.

Or...they want to play with people they know and like, maybe play 10-15 minutes a game, even if they don’t end up playing a lot, but have the life experience of being in the NCAA tournament, and all that goes with it.

Every kid is different, and I don’t blame them either way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:45 pm 

Hard to say. I hope the freshman make an impact because that means we have improved as a team and added talent over last year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:11 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
JArsy_22 wrote:

Yeah, to answer the original question, yes, I am worried about this situation. We have great players, so I'm sure we'll be fine in terms of results, but I have no idea how you can keep 15 scholarship players happy. And you can't play certain guys 5 or 10 minutes a game and expect them to develop and be at their best.

As I was saying... Pax transferring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 am 

I’m not worried about minutes next year. The theme of next year should be “win“ and “develop.”

Williamson, Hall, Uguak, and Clemons are coming back to get another free year of school and to win. They are all proven winners fully capable of leading and dominating. Minutes shouldn’t be a priority at all for those guys. For the rest of the team, it’s all about development and valuable playing time minutes throughout the season.

Valley play is set up to make everyone on this team happy. It’s a two tiered conference schedule for us - 6 competitive games vs. Drake, UNI, and Missouri State; 12 games we should dominate with the talent we have vs. Indiana State, Evansville, Illinois State, Valpo, SIU, and Bradley.

I think those 12 games, and the non-con (minus Atlantis) will give us a 15 game or so opportunity to develop to integrate the other players from our bench, as well as provide newcomers opportunities to rise in the depth chart when we start to make a run at March.

I don’t think minutes are going to be as important to Williamson, Uguak, Hall and Clemons. The truth is, the team is loaded and I think all they want to do is win and don’t care how. If we don’t miss a beat from how we ended the season and Hutty and Knight step up, we are gonna build comfortable leads against a majority of Valley teams early. I foresee a lot of games where our starters go out and play 15-18 minutes in the first half, build a lead, then sit down the rest of the game unless needed. There will be a lot of second halves used to put our bench in position to build or hold leads, which will only make the team stronger.

Ideally, You’ll see two shifts of players and 40 minutes of intensity every game.

Those practices and scrimmages are going to be unbelievably competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:40 pm 

It's hard for me not to become a fan of pretty much every player who pulls on the Maroon and Gold. To a person, I wish them the best on the court, in school and in life. When I first committed to being a season ticket holder, there was less winning and less pressure to turnover rosters. Things have changed now both at Loyola and in college basketball. As much as I know I need to get used to this, it's still difficult to watch this good group of kids leave the program. I guess this is the cost of success.

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2021/04/severa ... asketball/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 pm 

We only lost one starter but he was the key to the offense. knight is a good player but is different than Krut. The type of player and the skill set needed to win may change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:19 am 

jim wrote:
We only lost one starter but he was the key to the offense. knight is a good player but is different than Krut. The type of player and the skill set needed to win may change.

This is why I think Kennedy starts. The offense needs a new instigator and Kennedy has the best playmaking ability on the team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next