It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:31 am 

Quote:
DePaul Prep basketball star TY Johnson was shot in the head Monday night in Englewood on the South Side.

He is home and OK, according to the story.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/platform/a ... oyola-shot

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:38 am 

Prayers to TY and the female victim. Only thing that matters is that they're ok.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:55 am 

That is horrible, an inch the other way and either of them could be gone. Not to mention, these are very traumatic experiences if you survive.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:07 am 

My source tells me that 19 rounds were fired at the two of them. He was very lucky. He is doing fine and will be OK. The area he was shot in is a very rough area. LU needs to get him enrolled and on campus. This could have been tragic for this young man.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:25 am 

with out getting political the research on the effect of trauma on the development of young brains, trauma keeps the amygdala constantly on alert and stops other areas of the brain from developing. Children growing up in areas filled with trauma is a national health issue........So not only is Ty Johnson, the girl he was with and the families involved..but the people living in the area...specifically children. Hope Ty and everyone affected by this recovers.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 am 

natetheskate wrote:
with out getting political the research on the effect of trauma on the development of young brains, trauma keeps the amygdala constantly on alert and stops other areas of the brain from developing. Children growing up in areas filled with trauma is a national health issue........So not only is Ty Johnson, the girl he was with and the families involved..but the people living in the area...specifically children. Hope Ty and everyone affected by this recovers.

Very sad state of affairs indeed. We care about Ty because he is a Rambler. We SHOULD care about every kid that lives in Englewood and similarly struggling neighborhoods. Will never sit right with me.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:32 pm 

Wow. Very very sad.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:36 pm 

Some more details in the Tribune's story.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 pm 

It's a blessing that for now none of these injuries are fatal. I hope those responsible face justice for this some day.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm 

The crime in Chicago is out of control, I can't even imagine getting shot at 19 times for no reason. While this crime is much more likely to happen on the Southside it still happens everywhere. I live on the Northside in a relatively safe community and there was a shooting right outside of my apartment at 10pm, someone that was walking past a stop sign shot through the windshield of a stopped car four times. The crazy part is that there was a cop on the other side of the street at the same stop sign. Luckily, they were able to catch them.

My point is that Chicago is a mess, like most major cities. You can't run away from the issue it spreads everywhere. Something needs to be done, I feel like this is stated constantly but sadly nothing ever changes. I'm glad that Ty and his friend are alright, it's a blessing that none of the 19 shots severely injured either of them.