It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:15 am 

I started worrying about shooting when I saw the open practice. Tonight it was sort of reasonable in the first half - 42% I think, with 3 point % just under 40. But the second half was murder - around 25%. One positive was that we had only 14 turnovers, way down from the first two games. It seemed to me the pace was more reasonable and the dependence on cross-court passes was way down. None of this helped get the ball in the hole, however.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:32 am 

One other notable statistical indicator reflecting why we look so bad. We had only 6 assists on 17 field goals. Not Loyola basketball as we have come to know it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:55 am 

Well...rough to watch...I think we had an 8 minute stretch approximately where we did not score.
Some thoughts..
1. Looks like Marquis has lost a little explosiveness or maybe he is still working his way back to full health.
2. We have now had two breakout games by some of the youngsters. Schwieger against UIC and tonight Hinson..
3. I would like to see the shot chart...we got to the rim but couldnt finish and couldnt get a call.
4. It was mentioned by Drew that they have had so many injuries that they have had a hard time getting efficient practices.
5. He needs to find a rotation by the end of the tournament that is consistent.
6. Who is going to be the go to, scorer on this team?
7. The Center is a lot of our offense, setting high pick and rolls and moving to the basket, Hutson is poor at it, Golden is more tin/bronze and Welch is good at it...
8. Thomas is poor on the floor...he shoots from 3 like someone took the bone out of his elbow. Almost all his points have come inside...I would post him up against smaller guards if you are going to play him on the perimeter.
9. I do not think Plan A is working. offensively or defensively. As mentioned by many when we try and trap high on the court we just end up giving up high quality shots or fouling. Offensively we slowed down last night and were able to get the ball into the paint but were very inefficient in finishing whether it was the guy with the ball missing at the rim or our centers seem to not be positioned well for drop off passes.
10. I think there is a lot of talent on this team but two roads to go down now. A. Keep on trukin and hope they get better with time. B. Blow it up and play to what you see with a tuned up offense and defense..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:16 am 

Hinson? who the hell is Henson? I meant Dawson...looked confident last night. Which reminds me we have not seen Trey Lewis???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:46 am 

There's a definite lack of confidence and/or mental toughness right now. I think I could be talked into that being because it's a young team and it'll come around.

That being said, this team isn't getting any open looks. You're going to have a hard time winning with every shot being contested like it is. I think Kennedy getting closer to 100% is going to be critical for things to stay afloat. His aggression to the hoop for the guard position is an obvious gap currently.

While Alston is a beast, double and triples on him need to lead to easy shots for others. If that doesn't happen, I think this trend is going to continue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:18 am 

Ben Schwieger didn't play against Boise State. Any news on his status?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:58 am 

Schwieger: someone on Twitter said he has bronchitis or something.

Lewis: Drew said on the radio after UIC that he's probably redshirting

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:06 pm 

luke wrote:
There's a definite lack of confidence and/or mental toughness right now. I think I could be talked into that being because it's a young team and it'll come around.

To be fair, I think we did show some toughness to win the first two games.

However I agree it's alarming how we've let things snowball on us these past two losses. I really think Drew has to use his timeouts more aggressively to keep things under control. We don't have all those seniors on the court anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:23 pm 

1st post of the year. As I posted a couple times last year - Drew is trying to run a different offensive style with more positions, more shots, more individual action and the belief that you can attract a higher caliber recruit with this style.

The difficulty in running this is multi fold and not worth a deep dive. Suffice it to say, he looks severely overmatched on the sidelines right now and frankly doesn’t look like he’s ready for the job.

He needs a ton of time and rope to get it right and it’s hard to see - at least right now - that this season won’t be much other than a record well below 500 in the A10.

College hoops is fickle - and I just hope this does t lead the Ramblers back towards the abyss of the early PM and pre PM years.