It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:48 pm 

The Ice Screen technique is usually designed to take the ball handler away from a pick and roll and usually force him towards the baseline. When and how often it is used depends on the game plan for each game. and sometimes it is not executed successfully....but over all I think it was successful yesterday. Here is a clip featuring Loyola and the Ice Screen technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEbZ4a5GQq8

What a fun game! I dont think I breathed easily until maybe the 10 second mark.
So for what it is worth this was the first game which was the second time playing a team. We lost by 5 and then won by 7.... Considering first was away and second at home...I would still say it is a point of reference that Coach Valentine can coach.
He was kind of quiet. but Schwieger had the highest overall ranking yesterday(check box score on athletic site to get these #s)... doing the little things.
Great to see Marquis into the games and enjoying .that kid has a million dollar smile. ANd that steal he made was absolutely unbelievable as well as crucial, critical game confirming.
Alston as an incredible athlete as he is , is still having games where he gives away as many points as he scores or produces. Being a top scorer yesterday he was still only a +3 when in the game. Little mistakes, not boxing out on free throws and shots. Missing back door cuts defensively, not making offense breaks quickly enough, missing open guys underneath, not moving the ball offensively to the open man. My guess is that last year he so physically dominated the opposition he did not have to do a lot of these things. The good news is all of these are correctable.
Box score in that critical area of assists(16) to turnovers (6) looked might good..Remember the game against UIC when we had 28 assists!!!!!!!
RAMMMMMBBBBLLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:22 pm 

Well, our ICE is melting cuz it looks nothing like the video clip. So either 1) the on ball defender is not sealing the ball handler and keeping him on that side, and/or 2) the big calling ICE is leaving his man and Over correcting to get there. This is seen with how high on the floor our bigs have been running. Their angles are not shrinking the strong side and the on ball defenders are getting beat back to the middle. Its a great scheme, just not how we are running it.