It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: relief on the way
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:55 am 

Got a chance to talk to Coach Clemons and Coach Bailey at the Golf Outing. both great guys and more than willing to talk about LU basketball.Couple of things
1. They assured me that there was help on the way for Braden Norris, that he would not have to hauled off the court from pure exhaustion. They said that we would really like the game of Greg Nolan and his ability to handle the ball. Also that provididing assistance in the ball handling area would be Jayden Dawson, Jalen Quinn and Des Watson.
2. They think we are going to be moving the ball up and down the court at a rapid pace and doing it more successfully than last year. Implied it was going to be a team playing at a fast pace. Sounds like Coach Valentine is going to give the Run and Gun another go.
3. They thought it would be more successful this year as we have tons of depth and more and better ball handlers.
4. I told them that my "pick to click" for the year was Trey Lewis, my comments got a mixed review which I translated into got a way to go....tons of athleticism, tons of O but may need to get some D. So I was a little disapointed.
Other Stuff from OUting
Womens and Mens Volleyball team were there.( Womens team gauranteed me that they would defeat Creighton this year..) Women and Mens golf teams, well represented. All the kids are impressive. Love talking about their seasons.
Great Lakes Brewing provided free beer. I was partial to their Hofenswiezer
Sr.Jean was as sharp and engaging as usual.
Some really good stuff in the silent auction...I lost out on the Walter Payton signed photo and the free foursome at Whistling Straits.
We finished at 4 under ....not bad for a group in our 70's........
Lots of people joined who were not golfers and just enjoyed breakfast, the presentation by Steve Watson and cocktails after.....A day well spent

Post subject: Re: relief on the way
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:27 am 

1. I'm excited to see Greg, but I'm hoping Jalen can still manage to get a good amount of playtime.
2/3. Oh boy... I feel like that was a big contributor to all of the turnovers last season, so I'm curious to see how that all plays out.
4. That's a little bit of a bummer. I'd imagine that means we'll see Trey transfer after next year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:32 am 

QuiseStan wrote:
2/3. Oh boy... I feel like that was a big contributor to all of the turnovers last season, so I'm curious to see how that all plays out.

This one also has me feeling... quite dubious. Seems like a bold move for a group that couldn't even break a press until mid-conference play, but what do I know.

I sure hope they're practicing some contingency plans, seems like last year they were completely underprepared to run sets after the run and gun blew up on the runway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:38 pm 

Forgot...I asked when the schedule would be out and they said SOON...waiting on solidifying another exhibition game and a date or two.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:24 pm 

Thanks for the report, nate. Buy more birdie string next year! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:36 pm 

Interesting that they are giving run-and-gun another go. Maybe they feel more confident with the ballhandling and passing. I don't think it's the best path, but obviously I am not in practices and seeing how these guys are meshing together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:30 pm 

Forgot that I asked about the Custer departure. Response was that Porter lost a coach wanted someone he was familiar with, plus big salary difference, Didnt seem to be any anomosity, maybe a little disapointment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:25 am 

Did they indicate what we might expect from Miles Rubin?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:26 am 

I think I had one or two too many Hofenswiezers... forgot to ask, but on the other hand they did not mention him....One other thing they mentioned was that Depaul would not renew our home/home contract....cowards!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:57 am 

Thanks for the notes from the golf outing, Nate!! Great info. We'll have to share a Hofenswiezer some time...

My hopes for this year in order of fantasy wishes:

1. Rubin shows confidence and upside, gets 10-15 mins per game by the end of the season.

2. Quinn and Dawson take a big step up, becoming dependable and earning double-digit minutes.

3. Watson becomes a Loyola defensive stalwart in the mode of Lucas Williamson and Ben Richardson.

4. Norris returns to 40%+ on threes.

5. Schweiger gets some defense chops.

6. Phil Alston is the same Phil Alston, but with the ability to pass off when doubled/tripled.

7. Mwamba and Adelekun may help us win some games with their inside experience, but the main thing I want from them is to teach Rubin.

8. Sheldon Edwards and Tom Welch will be good glue players-- possibly earning starts here and there-- but primarily teaching poise, pacing, communication, preparation and competitiveness.