It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pre-game
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:56 pm 

I heard that the Bull Dog Ale house is closed. Getting excited for the start of the season ... any thoughts on other places to go eat before the game.

Post subject: Re: Pre-game
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:02 pm 

Pete;s pizza on Granville
https://www.pizzapetes.com/petes-pizza-granville

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:04 am 

I'm bummed about the Bulldog....crappy service and old beer but solid pizza was a good way to pregame. What is the Porkchop like in the old Hamilton's space? Is that a fancy menu or casual? I've never been to a Porkchop location before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:55 am 

It's not fancy. It's a BBQ place. It has pretty mediocre reviews, but I haven't been, personally. There was talk of a speakeasy type of place opening in the back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:16 pm 

I am a fan of Beard and Belly at Granville and Broadway. Good food with a decent beer selection.

Pete's has very good pizza.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:19 pm 

Did not have a great experience at Porkchop the one time I went last season. Could have just been an off day, but thought I’d share.

They seemed understaffed (both front of house and I’m assuming in the kitchen) for a Saturday afternoon with a basketball game. Service and food were both slow, they were out of multiple meats on the menu, and a few member of our party left before the bill came (one person covered it all) to make it before tip off. Had budgeted just under two hour for lunch and it wasn’t enough. We were a slightly larger party of about 8, but there were only two or three other tables the entire time we were there.

On top of it all, the food just wasn’t that good. Again, maybe was an off day, but I likely won’t be back.

Had much better experiences at Beard and Belly near Granville in the old Pumping Company space.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:22 pm 

That's consistent with almost every review that's on Google. Moody's is also an option but it's farther down Broadway. Too far to walk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:11 pm 

I’ll second the Beard and Belly recommendation. Great food and service in my experiences there. Gino’s North on Granville is another good spot if you are looking for pizza. Giordano’s is a block north of Pratt so it’s a little out of the way, but that’s another potential option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:26 pm 

anybody remember SIr Whoopies...? or My PI ??? or Standees on Granville.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:20 am 

Disappointing that Bulldog closed.

Agree on the Beard and Belly recommendation. Great food, big beer list and excellent service. More of a "gastropub" than a sports bar but still a great spot. It's a bit of a hike though if it's a freezing cold January evening.

It's disappointing we now don't have a food option really close to the arena for pregame food and beer. My Dayton friends were giving us a hard time about our lack of options (and hence Bulldogs being packed). And now we don't even have that. Miss Hamiltons big time.

The mention of Standees triggered some memories of mornings spent on the toilet after consuming thousands of greasy calories at 3am after a night of drinking. Miss that!