It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:03 pm 

My rapid (over) reactions to this first game:

-We are going to lead the conference in turnovers again. This likely means we will be a bottom half team, perhaps a bottom third team.

-Watson isn't a great offensive player. Shot 3-8 and had five ugly turnovers. He is an athletic wing, which will help on defense in the A10. But I don't love seeing him take all the minutes from Ben and Sheldon, who are two of our better offensive players. Feel bad for both of them as I don't think the guys playing above them are much better, if at all.

-Mwamba should have been benched immediately for the rest of the game after that flagrant. That's not Loyola basketball. Not to mention, it was also a big swing that put the nail in our coffin.

-FAU is likely the 2nd best team we will play this year (I think Creighton is much better). And we won't face many centers as dominant as Goldin this year.

-Agree with Mertz re the rotation. It needs to be tighter. We have too many 'good' players, but not enough players that stand out and give Drew a reason to play them more. The lack of chemistry on the floor is so obvious, especially against an experienced FAU team. An 11-2 or 10-3 non-conference record is still achievable.

-Defense and hustle were both a little better than what we saw in many games last year.

-JQ is a walking turnover liability. Five TOs today. He's OK at taking it to the hoop, but the turnovers kill that. Dolan sat for way too long of a stretch in the 2h while JQ was turning the ball over possession after possession.

-Dolan needs to shoot the three ball more.

-In the 2h, crap FT shooting and some missed bunnies really hurt.

-Have some other thoughts that I'm probably best off not posting here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:04 pm 

I think it's reasonable to say between the rotations, the chemistry, the same issues from last being present again that Drew is currently the problem and he will either need to improve his performance or Steve will have to make a change

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:11 pm 

Looked a whole lot like last year, pretty disappointing. By all accounts Drew spent the offseason re-focused on implementing the run and gun, and it already looks like as big of a waste of time as it was last year.

Perimeter passing looks like it’s to this year what breaking a press was last year. Maybe Dawson comes back and can be the guard who can actually dribble and maybe even beat his guy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:26 pm 

Yeah at more turnovers than points and 0 assists JQ seems pretty unplayable. Not sure how he got the most minutes off the bench.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:29 pm 

Alston is the only one that can drive and once he starts, it’s a shot no matter what. Nobody else can drive so nobody ever gets a kick out. No easy shots. Braden always has a defender right on him because he isn’t a driving threat so he can’t shoot. We have no offensive options

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:32 pm 

jdubs wrote:
Alston is the only one that can drive and once he starts, it’s a shot no matter what. Nobody else can drive so nobody ever gets a kick out. No easy shots. Braden always has a defender right on him because he isn’t a driving threat so he can’t shoot. We have no offensive options

Yep, this about sums up our offense. Alston starts driving and just kind of rolls downhill. He doesn't really look to kickout or do anything else. But he is our best threat and the only one who can really do anything...so, it is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:38 pm 

Hello everyone!!
I watched from home on Barstool sports.
That was not fun. The announcers reminds me of the characters from the show - Jackass.
They really got on my nerves. The team looks like they need an offensive coach. The players look like they are talented but lacks leadership on the floor. It's up to the coach to mend those pieces together. Hopefully, he's able to fix the puzzle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:56 pm 

FAU reminded me defensively of our Final 4 team. were contesting every pass. were in passing lanes...helped and stopped drives....with Coach Moser the game plan was pretty simple....start with the defense...and offensively make the other team work and make the extra pass....people used to complain that we didnt send anyone to the offensive boards but there was method to that madness we never gave up fast break points and were never out of position...and we just forced the other team to play 30 seconds of defense and eventually they made mistakes.....when you are running and taking the first shot..people are out of position getting back on defense and if the break doesnt work people are out of position on offense ...its a mess right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:00 pm 

The Mwamba flagrant was a momentum killer.....but remember that it was an awful lazy pass by Norris that lead to that run out and the 5 point possession. Norris had a similar awful under duress pass in the first half. Why the panic? He's our 5th year veteran leader....this should never happen...let alone twice in one game.

Like everyone has commented - it felt like I was watching a game from last season on the DVR. Same damn issues.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:03 pm 

just saw the stats FAU had 27 points off turnovers...14 fast break points.... LU had 7 points off turnovers and the running lightening fast Ramblers had 7 fast break points.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next