It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Marquis Kennedy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:37 pm 

Marquis is listed on the UIC roster but was not in the box score. I know a lot of us always had high expectations for Marquis....always one of my favorites. Anyone know why he didnt get any minutes in the UIC opener?

Post subject: Re: Marquis Kennedy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:30 am 

Most likely that knee acting up again, but sometimes these transfers don't seem to quite work out. Either way I'm really hoping he's active for the game in Gentile.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:50 pm 

IF so hope he gets a positive round of applause

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:54 am 

There have been some former Ramblers that have moved on that I have said good riddance to, but Marquise was not one of them. I felt bad that he didn't finish his career as a Rambler, but given the upgrade to the Atlantic 10, his size and injuries, and all the newcomers, I think he made a good decision to try and go play somewhere else if he still wanted to play one more year of basketball. I hope that Marquise still will look back fondly, overall, on his time at Loyola.

As much as I loved watching him play early in his career, it seemed inevitable that he was going to have injuries. The way he flew at the basket and elevated scared me every time he went up in the air. I don't think I've seen anyone on Loyola since Doyle take so many hits going to the basket and ending up on the ground on the baseline. There's no way all those hits and falls couldn't have taken a serious toll on his body.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:07 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
There have been some former Ramblers that have moved on that I have said good riddance to, but Marquise was not one of them. I felt bad that he didn't finish his career as a Rambler, but given the upgrade to the Atlantic 10, his size and injuries, and all the newcomers, I think he made a good decision to try and go play somewhere else if he still wanted to play one more year of basketball. I hope that Marquise still will look back fondly, overall, on his time at Loyola.

As much as I loved watching him play early in his career, it seemed inevitable that he was going to have injuries. The way he flew at the basket and elevated scared me every time he went up in the air. I don't think I've seen anyone on Loyola since Doyle take so many hits going to the basket and ending up on the ground on the baseline. There's no way all those hits and falls couldn't have taken a serious toll on his body.

He looked stout last night, like the Wario version of Loyola Marquise Kennedy. I don't think he's going to be flying at the rim anymore but I don't think he's going to be pushed around much either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:34 am 

He was very cool in the post-game interview posted by UIC after game. He said, "Loyola is still my home. I have two homes now."

I still wish I knew what went on between him and Drew last year. I know that he had injuries, but something else also happened. I remember in one post-game interview on the audio stream, Drew specifically called him out and it was extremely odd...

He got the best of us last night. Good for him and I hope he has a great final season. He was an intricate part of the Sweet 16 run, and he'll always be a Rambler.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:57 pm 

I saw him after the game and congratulated him on a great game. I don't know him very well but when I've met him in the past he was always polite and thoughtful, seems like a good guy. Unlike the other UIC guys that were taunting us on their way to the locker room, Quise was almost somber and thankful that Ramblers were congratulating him. No bravado, very professional. Impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:40 pm 

I think Coach Valentine is still young and with that goes a little bit of immaturity...We saw it with Saint Thomas and the yelling on the bench last year. It think Marquis took some of the brunt of the bad year. Coach has a way to go. For the first time I am having some doubts...The beauty of the teams under Coach Moser is they played good basketball and at its highest level was almost like art...We have not seen a lot of well played basketball recently whether it is due to coaching, continually trying to integrate a high level of new players or the system.
On a good note based on the scrimmage I saw I did not think Rubin would be a contributor this year...glad to see I am wrong.
On the hopeful side the season is young and we have time to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:33 am 

after listening to the post game'
1. Coach had a couple of nice comments about Q...
2. Was a mature response in the inverview...so the team is young , the coach is relatively young..but seems to be maturing....
3. I am going to hang in with this group and give them time to pull it together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:12 am 

I agree with Nate…
I am not a coach, and will not suggest any of us is wiser than Drew and his staff.
That being said, as a fan who has seen virtually every game over the last several seasons, conference changes, coaching changes, etc., I do have my thoughts about a few things. I wonder what it it that keeps Sheldon on the bench when we are dying for some instant offense. Didn’t we recruit him for that purpose. In a similar vein what is it about Ben that has happened to limit him to virtually no minutes. He redshirted then demonstrated he could play at the A-10 level of offense, then rides the bench. Last game he made two very clean heads up passes and never came back into the game.
Frustrating being in the dark about these things.
I recall when back cuts were a part of the offense as well as our downfall on defense. Did that play disappear from the game?
Is our situation in need of instant success or do we have a program that develops players over time.
I like a program that lets our recruited kids develop, which means playing time. I’m glad Miles is out there from day one. BTW, can we pass to him so that it can be handled cleanly? Last of all, we should not let big guys dribble around as they become instant targets for ball theft. Remember last year with Schweiger, who I liked, but he would put the ball down repeatedly arms length from his body??? Am I just a dinosaur with these thoughts?