It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LU MAGAZINE ARTICLE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:38 am 

https://www.luc.edu/loyolamagazine/fall ... ingseason/

Post subject: Re: LU MAGAZINE ARTICLE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:57 am 

Hate seeing Ben listed as a key returned just to ride the pine in favor of 1 year transfers who wont be here in the future during a season where we are not winning a championship.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:53 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
Hate seeing Ben listed as a key returned just to ride the pine in favor of 1 year transfers who wont be here in the future during a season where we are not winning a championship.

I think Ben is a legit weapon on offense. But his defense is an absolute liability. He gets blown by more than anyone on this team. I think there will be games we need his offensive spark off the bench, so I hope he stays engaged. But it's tough to see him getting big minutes right now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:16 pm 

I think they though Ben would be a swing guard ..but ended up being a defensive liability out on the floor...and when they play switch everywhere he often got stuck with guards he couldnt handle...I think he is bright enough to fill Welch's spot..He is a good passer,could defend down low against 6'9 and smaller...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:58 pm 

Zero chance Ben develops into a Welch style program player if he goes from last years minutes and a first team all freshman year to never playing. And as far as his liability status he as the same BPM as Jayden Dawson at .7, meanwhile Jalen Quinn, Patrick Mwaba, Tom Welch are all in the negatives.

I know the eye test certainly doesn't support the advanced metrics on Tom, but the numbers indicate that Ben is actually a better player on defense than offense and is out performing a number of our regular rotation players.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2024.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:14 pm 

The BPM gives you certain information but I dont think it is a good stat. It does not take in to account who a player is playing against.Is he playing against a good player or a sub, does he have a mismatch, is it in garbage time? also who else is playing with him. We all want an easy way to figure out if a player has had a good game or a bad game. As for Ben. I like Ben. I thought his baseline dunk last year against UIC was the most dramatic, electrifying play of the year. His minutes this year are too few to really determine if he has helped or hurt this year. Edwards finally got his turn and took advantage. Lets hope Ben gets a shot to do the same. Lots of coats in the closet.