It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:04 am 

440Rambler wrote:
Drew is not going to Mark Few us. Our model is VCU, not Gonzaga. The program is more important than any individual coach or player.

I brought up Gonzaga as a reference. Mark Few could have left anytime he wanted. He had plenty of programs trying to pry him loose. He chose to stay because he liked his lifestyle there, the school and what he was doing. You build a perianal powerhouse, the rest takes care of itself.

Why should we settle for VCU and not strive for Gonzaga type success? If you're gonna dream, dream big.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 am 

I'm pretty sure Depaul will hire Will Wade. I guess Porter is possible, but I just don't buy the whole "unhappy in Norman" narrative. No matter how you slice it, OU stomps on Depaul as a program... they would have to make him one of the top-paid coaches in the country, and that's just not gonna happen.

Meanwhile, Will Wade is desperate for cash, and Depaul is desperate to win. The Depaul fans I talk to are way more hyped on Wade than Porter.

As for Drew to MSU... if he gets that offer, he's 100% taking it, let's be honest with ourselves. But that's a few years off and necessitates him racking up some tourney runs with LUC -- it would very much be a net positive for us. We'd be looking at around a decade of being a well-known brand/program. Let's not be babies about that (very much hypothetical) scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:25 am 

I just don't like putting the pressure on anyone to be our savior/forever coach/ad whatever. The idea is to build sustainably and continue to invest regardless. Would it be great if Drew wanted to stay forever, sure! Is it also cool if he'd rather go coach MSU, his dream job? Also yes, as long as everyone is on the same page as to if that's possible. If Drew starts releasing Don't Run From Happiness letters & writing books called All In and playing up how he's always just been a Chicago Jesuit kid at heart yadda yadda and then bolts...then I'll be upset.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:05 pm 

YES the goal is to be a place coaches want to come to...our brand as a university and a program must be stronger than the coach we have....We have survived the loss of Porter and we must position ourselves to withstand the comings and goings of coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:25 pm 

For what it is worth the SCORE is reporting that Moser is coming to Depaul...huge buyout if true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:07 pm 

My new tag line is I’m wrong a lot…so I Might be wrong on this one. Ain’t no way Moser is going to DePaul.

Next year OU goes to the SEC, the money will pour into the Athletic Dept to the tune of $60 odd million…his bball budget will be $11m or so. Hard to leave that.

Now…if he got fired?

And lastly- serious Drew question.

Drew is 19-17 in the A-10. He has proved me way wrong about never being above .500 so there’s that. But at 2 games over .500 are we going a little overboard with his success and placing his name in big time openings?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm 

I don't blame anyone for thinking that they can better themselves. When you get canned like he did at ISU you want to prove that they were wrong. The AD at ISU is now at some podunk low level school out East. Porter at times he referred to how humiliated he was to go home and explain to his young kids that he got fired.
When Jim Whitesell was fired it was three days after the new arena was opened. He thought he had one more year and then was S canned. His assistants who he told was going to be there one more year were stunned by the turnaround.
As he walked around the campus there were people now would not talk to him

College bball is a dirty business. I feel for the assistants more because they get sucked into the wake of the sinking ship.
The coaching seas are littered with the coaches who were wooed to be there. Given the success of the new women's coach hired when he was, the success in gymnastics and baseball the pressure to win now must be tremendous.
If you watch the post game press sessions you can watch the body language to see the changing of mood.
The NIL and the portal changed the landscape.
Culture is now exposed for what it really his. " Capitalism is greed and greed is good." Survival of the fittest. And don't confuse yourself by believing that the elites are really about POWER. POWER BRINGS MONEY AND INFLUENCE.
AND LETS get off this culture ethnocentrism. There is a great book out called AMERICAN NATIONS. It reviews the ELEVEN cultures
in North America and particularly the US. There are cultural diffferences and a certain amount of tolerance in each. Success brings some acceptance; losing or not meeting expectations accelerated the "throw the bum out".

Sometimes and it occurs when you get older you are willing to not reach for the stars but to realize money cannot bring you more time. Then experiences more. So learn to enjoy what you have and dont "walk away from happiness"! They discover the ocean is so big and their boat is so small.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:02 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:

Drew is 19-17 in the A-10. He has proved me way wrong about never being above .500 so there’s that. But at 2 games over .500 are we going a little overboard with his success and placing his name in big time openings?

It's insanely premature.

Win a couple A10 tourney titles, max out our budget with new contract or three, and then let the chatter start....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:06 pm 

Purely, from a basketball perspective, he should stay at OU. Since Porter survived this season, I think he is going to stay at Oklahoma and get a raise. The move to the SEC will help him. The SEC is not as deep and he will finish in the top 3 in the SEC without much difficulty. The DePaul program may be broken beyond repair.

My concern for Drew is that Michigan fires Howard and goes after Drew to one up Michigan State. Completely irrational.

Drew has 58 wins in 3 seasons. He has 5 more seasons at Loyola. We don’t fire coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:53 pm 

New sources are now telling me that Porter will not be leaving OU for Depaul.

https://x.com/portermoser/status/1767358650287284556?s=46&t=0FqKYpeLcLDslwNVdR0ktg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next