It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:30 am 

Just browsed Oklahoma as they are undefeated to this point. I reviewed their lineup and four of the five starters are transfers. So LUC is not alone in this portal business. After two relatively miserable years Porter seems to have it together. Defense still rules at Oklahoma which is #12 in the country. I assume then that emphasis comes from the coach down. Just saying…. I don’t think the players gre up with that emphasis but can learn it. Agree?
PS Gotta give Porter his props. This guy is persistent in his methods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 am 

1.I had a discussion with someone in the Athletic Department that led me to believe that more effort will be put in to finding transfers but not graduate transfers....who have 2 to 3 years of eligibility left. Counting on all incoming freshman is a risky market as the rules stand today...makes me kind of sad.
Good luck to all programs trying to manage the current college athletic landscape.
2. Haters got to hate, shooters got to shoot...and Porter has got to be Porter. Glad things are turning around there for him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:17 am 

The new rule is that two-time transfers have to sit a year. So it makes sense to go after the first-time underclassmen transfers, as they're about as locked in as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:32 am 

I'm glad Porter is having success, both for his sake and ours. If he was having another bad year I was worried we would be playing against his Billikens twice a year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:16 pm 

I'll wait until Big12 play starts. I'm not seeing how they finish any better than somewhere in the middle.

Oklahoma has played next to nobody. W's against Iowa, Arkansas, USC are respectable but those three are having very poor years right now.

OU has no chance in the SEC next year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:55 pm 

Seems he's ALL IN in Oklahoma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:25 pm 

RAMBLOR wrote:
The new rule is that two-time transfers have to sit a year. So it makes sense to go after the first-time underclassmen transfers, as they're about as locked in as possible.

I am guessing this came out before your post but this will only increase the transfer portal--

"Judge John P. Bailey granted a 14-day temporary restraining order during a hearing in West Virginia district court Wednesday, giving college athletes who have transferred more than once immediate eligibility at least for the next two weeks and potentially charting a course for more lawsuits from transfers seeking eligibility."

On top of that the NCAA is floating a proposal to create a new division in college athletics. In short, schools that opt-in would have to put 30K per year for at least 50% of their athletes. Realistically, this will only apply to P4 schools, in addition, NIL would be run by the institution, not collectives. Not good news for mid-majors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:26 pm 

Last year Iowa State finished 9-9 in the big 12 and Ken Pom had them ranked 29th in the country and they got a 6 seed in the tourney. I think Porter would be pretty over the moon with that. Oklahoma hasn't been great but the big 12 is clearly the best conference in the country.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:35 pm 

Ohio Rambler wrote:
On top of that the NCAA is floating a proposal to create a new division in college athletics. In short, schools that opt-in would have to put 30K per year for at least 50% of their athletes. Realistically, this will only apply to P4 schools, in addition, NIL would be run by the institution, not collectives. Not good news for mid-majors.

Whether we like it or not, this is clearly where college sports are heading. It’s driven by football and the writing on the wall has been there for the last few years. It’s also why moving to the A10 was the correct move. If there are any “basketball only” conferernces that survive, it will be the Big East and one or two more. As much as I love the Missouri Valley, and that’s a lot, the A10 will be in the discussion of “new D1 schools” sooner than the MVC will.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:06 am 

Ohio Rambler wrote:
RAMBLOR wrote:

I am guessing this came out before your post but this will only increase the transfer portal--

"Judge John P. Bailey granted a 14-day temporary restraining order during a hearing in West Virginia district court Wednesday, giving college athletes who have transferred more than once immediate eligibility at least for the next two weeks and potentially charting a course for more lawsuits from transfers seeking eligibility."

Read up on this a bit -- people are saying this could allow transfers between semesters? So we could see guys transferring after OOC and able to play conference games for the new teams, and under this ruling the NCAA can't do anything about it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next