It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:11 pm 

AMDG wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
goodknight wrote:
From the Rhode Island Message board. Someone saying something good about the Ramblers. (I removed one very short sentence that didn't fit)

I would LOVE to be in their shoes. They are playing their best basketball now... They have one of the best young coaches in the NCAA. Remember how positive we were when we won four straight this year? Imagine being 9-1 in our last 10 and 13-2 in our last 15... This board would be going absolutely nuts with excitement.

They went to the tournament in 2018, 2021, 2022. Sister Jean became nationally known. I believe they will return Watson, Dame, Dawson, Rubin with a loaded freshman class. Who knows who else they can land because they can recruit impactful players. Either way, they should be in the hunt for a bid next year and likely the next few years if Valentine sticks around. They are 100% good enough to land the automatic bid this year, too. With the way they are playing, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. They help make this a tougher conference. I'm happy the A10 brought them on.

Most of the thread was pretty complimentary of us. A lot of folks saying we are great addition to the league, they wished their guys played as hard our guys, Drew is coaching his ass off, that we can beat anyone in the A10 and have a great shoot in Brooklyn, etc.

Love to see that. Especially after the abundance of negative comments from other fan bases, including some we beat / swept this year....

I appreciate that other fans think we can beat anybody but the truth is we are 0-2 against the top of the A 10 with no truly signature wins throughout the year. We have been bumslayers up to now, feeding on .500 teams in conference.

You could say the same about Dayton. They lost to both VCU and Richmond, so they are 11-2 (like us) and without wins over any of the other top 4 teams in conference (like us).

Fact is, 11 of the 15 teams are around .500 or worse. So it's very difficult to NOT feed on .500 or worse teams in conference, if you are near the top. We have won FIVE conference games on the road, including against middle-of-the-pack teams like Joes and George Mason. You need to be a VERY good basketball team to be 5-1 on the road in conference play. In our historic 2017-2018 and 2020-201 seasons, we lost two conference road games in each.

There's no doubt that we can beat anyone in this conference. We were a basket away from beating Richmond (and they were aided by some very questionable calls). And played VCU very tough on the road, keeping it within a possession or two in the final minutes.

Last edited by goramblers2011 on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:12 pm 

With the exception of UIC, at least we are beating the teams we should beat. For many years we didn't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:21 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
AMDG wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:
Most of the thread was pretty complimentary of us. A lot of folks saying we are great addition to the league, they wished their guys played as hard our guys, Drew is coaching his ass off, that we can beat anyone in the A10 and have a great shoot in Brooklyn, etc.

Love to see that. Especially after the abundance of negative comments from other fan bases, including some we beat / swept this year....

I appreciate that other fans think we can beat anybody but the truth is we are 0-2 against the top of the A 10 with no truly signature wins throughout the year. We have been bumslayers up to now, feeding on .500 teams in conference.

You could say the same about Dayton. They lost to both VCU and Richmond, so they are 11-2 (like us) and without wins over any of the other top 4 teams in conference (like us).

Important to also note Dayton hasn’t beaten a single top-25 team all year long as well. The only ranked team they’ve played to date is Houston. How they are at #16 and projected for a #4 seed is amusing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 pm 

It’s funny because fan bases always have a different view of their team than the rest of the league, country. Good example, in 1985 when the Bears were absolutely killing everybody, the rest of the NFL knew that no one was gonna stop the Bears. I was working as a law clerk and the boss had friends/clients around the Country and they were, literally, afraid of playing the Bears. Here in Chicago, we knew the Bears were good, but we didn’t think they were unstoppable at the time (maybe memories of SF).

Here the A10 is starting to look at us differently, but we sometimes downgrade the team a little. We are a good team, as good as anyone in the A10, but we have a small margin of error and certain areas that could sink the thing, fouls and TOs. The key thing, despite our fan insecurities, is does the team believe. I think they do. So, let’s enjoy the ride and whatever happens, it’s been a fun year as we establish LUC as quality program.

BTW, I thinks it funny that the A10 has THREE teams who are the Rams (VCU, RI, Fordham). I don’t think I have ever seen this before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:58 am 

And the Ramblers could be referred to as The Ram instead of The Blers. I think that Blers sounds stupid anyway.
"Go Ram!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:14 am 

JC64 wrote:
And the Ramblers could be referred to as The Ram instead of The Blers. I think that Blers sounds stupid anyway.
"Go Ram!"

Nope...will never refer to us as the "Ram"! LOL