It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:52 pm 

The top four seeds are nearly solidified, with #4 VCU being the only one possibly in question.

Looking at the relative schedules of the group, I would say the toughest paths in order from most to least difficult are:

VCU: still has to play @Richmond and @Dayton, as well as tough games @UMass and SJU

Dayton: still has to play @loyola and v. VCU, with a tough game @GM

Loyola: still has to play vDayton, with tough game @Bonnie

Richmond: still has to play vVCU, with tough games @GM

I don't see any way VCU can make a run to improve it's position with that end of the schedule and already being a game behind. The best they can hope is to maintain. This is really a battle for the top three seeds.

Dayton is the most talented team. They have those two games against the top four but both are preceded by easy games. I still think they lose one of them. I just have a sneaking suspicion GM beats them at home this week.

Richmond has the clear path but VCU is intra city rival, so even though it is a home game, it is a toss up. They also have a game in hand if it is a two way tie between them and Loyola

Loyola really must win out to do anything but tie. VCU is our friend over the next couple of weeks.

I think the regular season ends:

Richmond
Loyola
Dayton
VCU

UMass will be nipping at VCU heels with, essentially a must win game for umass tuesday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:34 am 

I think every game we have left is going to be a challenge....the pressure of not losing as opposed to the mentality of "keep winning" is tough to maintain. One game at a time. If we can finish 3-2 that would be huge....and by all means if we can finish better than that then it would be simply incredible considering last year's dip. These kids can play and this is a fun ass team to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:26 am 

AMDG wrote:
Dayton is the most talented team. They have those two games against the top four but both are preceded by easy games. I still think they lose one of them. I just have a sneaking suspicion GM beats them at home this week.

Tomorrow's news today.

Still really hope VCU can help us out

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:49 am 

It's going to be important for us to lock down this #2 seed to avoid UMass and Bonnies. They have valid aspirations to win the tournament but I think there is a noticeable drop from them. Let Dayton and VCU take lumps in harder fought early games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 am 

Perversely, I'd love to face GM again to beat them for a third time with our unathletic team. Their coach has called them out on their will to win in each of the games we played them. Imagine their drive in the second half of a game when playing back to back days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:27 pm 

VCU lost tonight against Duquesne and is in danger of dropping out of the First Four. Looking at schedules, my guess is that St. Bonaventure will replace VCU as #4, with the top 4 being:

1. Richmond
2. Loyola
3. Dayton
4. St. Bonaventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:28 am 

swellafelon wrote:
VCU lost tonight against Duquesne and is in danger of dropping out of the First Four. Looking at schedules, my guess is that St. Bonaventure will replace VCU as #4, with the top 4 being:

1. Richmond
2. Loyola
3. Dayton
4. St. Bonaventure

i think it will be a three way tie for fourth with VCU, UMass and Bonnies. They break three way ties with head to head record between the three teams and Bonnies does get the nod.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:54 pm 

I am not a fan of "bracket watching" and hoping to play or avoid teams in a tournament. In my years of playing and then managing high level 16" softball teams, I never cared about the bracket and never spoke about it to my teams. You play whoever is in front of you. Teams that focus on that can tend to take teams for granted or stress on it. It's also, as they say, tough to beat a team 3 times in a year.

We accomplished what we needed to do which is we got the double bye. Whoever we play, we just gotta bring it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:58 am 

I understand what you are saying. You'll end up pulling your hair out worrying about how the bracket shakes out.

That said, it's probably going to be Bonnies, which is not the optimal scenario. But, they'll be playing the second of back to back nights and they are not nearly as good on the road.

Loyola's depth positions itself well for tournament play.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:52 am 

I kinda hope we get the Bonnies so we can send them packing.