It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Northern Illinois !!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:55 am 

swellafelon wrote:
When we recruited Cody Johnson, his rep was that he was a big man who could shoot threes.

Moser apparently wants to remold him into a different kind of player.

If Moser was looking for a big guy to rebound and set picks, he should have recruited a player with those skills.

A good coach adapts his system to the players' skill sets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:51 pm 

Oh my. With about two minutes left in the game, I just wanted it over so that I could slink away from the Joe. My last game for the season and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Now, I am fleeing the Midwest for the warm climate of Central America. At least now when I watch the games (via the internet) I can escape to my balcony and dream of what might have been. Hope to have something to celebrate at "Arch Madness."

Now it's on to the east coast and Fordham!

On another note, check out Loyola's version of The Twelve Days of Christmas at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1EsskF ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:23 pm 

The domain "www.fireportermoser.com" is available.

Just sayin'....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned the fatigue factor. Doyle (33.0), Thomas (33.6) and White (32.0) are each averaging 32+ minutes per game, and they're really HARD minutes, where they're being asked to do a lot of things that are particularly draining. Those three players rank 2nd, tied for 3rd, and tied for 6th in the MVC. WSU, UNI, ISUr, MSU, and Drake don't have a single player playing more minutes than our third place guy. Thomas is routinely battling against guys in the 4 and 5 spot, typically 3-5 inches taller and 10-20 pounds heavier. Doyle did not play at all, Thomas averaged 27 minutes, and White averaged 22 minutes last year. Chrisman is averaging almost 29 minutes a game, and O'Leary is averaging almost 26 minutes per game-- mostly as our only guy on the floor over 6'5"-- after averaging only 15 minutes per game last year. We had only one player (Avercamp) average more than 29 minutes last year. Remember, a complete regulation HS game is 32 minutes, with breaks at the quarters and no shot clock.

So what happened in last night's game? White and Thomas combine for 24 points in heavy minutes in the first half, but score only six combined after halftime. Doyle, who sat most of the first half with two fouls, scored eight points in the second half. White played 37 minutes, Thomas played 33 (would have been 35 if he hadn't fouled out with 1:59 left), and Chrisman played 30. O'Leary, who didn't actually start, played 31 minutes. Osborne, who made the actual start, played only 15 minutes. Johnson and King combined for only 1+ minute on the floor, every second of which was in the first half. The only bench player to play substantial minutes in the second half was Turk. And the second half was filled with turnovers, missed layups, missed rebounds, missed loose balls, errant passes, and weak-kneed jump shots--- all signs of fatigue. You talk about hung heads and slumped shoulders? Could just as easily be exhaustion as much as demoralization or dread.

Meanwhile, NIU's top guys in minutes clocked in at 34 and 30, respectively. Threloff, their big interior guy, played 28. The three NIU starters at 6'6" or above combined for 23 rebounds compared to Loyola's 22 individual (non-team) rebounds for all our players. If you count O'Leary as a starter and Osborne as coming off the bench, we got a total of 45 bench minutes, 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers, and 6 fouls on 1 of 9 field goal shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:12 pm 

63, Couldn't agree more. I think we talked about it on here a couple weeks ago. In any given game, guys can go heavy minutes and be fine. There are enough media timeouts for rest, if guys are in shape. But averaging that many is rough. One thing we don't see is that heavy starters minutes can limit practice. A guy can play 25 minutes and bounce back for practice, but 35? You're not getting much out of him the next day.

You worry about the minutes more in January/February than December. Only 5 games in December, but 9 in January and 8 in the short month of Feb.

LU just doesn't seem to have competitive depth right now. Any injuries or foul trouble will be very problematic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:17 pm 

08rambler wrote:

You worry about the minutes more in January/February than December. Only 5 games in December, but 9 in January and 8 in the short month of Feb.

So what you're saying is that come January, our second half collapses will start midway in the first half, and by February we'll start running out of gas during pregame warmups?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:24 pm 

One of the reasons I was glad to see Whitesell go was it seemed like he had lost the team....some players didnt bother to get off the bench during timeouts....there was selfish play.....etc.
In PMs first year the play seemed fundamentally sound PM seemed encouraging.. In the second year there were some nice wins, some tough losses and some injuries but attitude seemed good. THis year I think I noticed it in the UIC game that there was little or no enthusiasm...now these comments about hanging heads etc. Frankly I can deal with losing but I would like to see the team enthusiastic, the students and alum having a good time and feel like yelling for these guys and the coach.
I have heard different comments and stuff about PM being a little too controlling ...I would rather see them press full court jack up the first 3.... crash the boards and look like they are enjoying playing basketball.....SO WTF is going on?
Which reminds me does anyone know why Cully Payne left?
anyway I hope the criticism stays civil as I think PM like Whitesell are nice guys doing their best/
GO RAMBLERS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:06 pm 

I agree that Moser seems like a nice guy. He's undoubtedly earnest and hard-working, and recruits high character kids.

I lost a little respect for him for his comments after the NIU loss where he failed to take any responsibility and placed the blame on the players.

He needs to loosen the reins a little, trust the players more, and relax. Let a little fun back into the game

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:41 am 

I did not see Tanner Williams on the bench at the NIU game. Was he at Fordham? Does anyone have any info on his status?