It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:49 pm 

This is a good team who can’t beat anyone great (Quad 1) in order to get to that next level.

As someone said. Hit the film hard, you got another Q1 chance at home Friday. Gotta continue to keep some room between you and that dbl bye line.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 pm 

Lando Griffin wrote:
This is a good team who can’t beat anyone great (Quad 1) in order to get to that next level.

As someone said. Hit the film hard, you got another Q1 chance at home Friday. Gotta continue to keep some room between you and that dbl bye line.

Thankfully, we already clinched the double bye, so all good there.

The missed wide open 3's by our shooters (Braden, Watson, Sheldon) preventing us from getting this down to single digits in the 2nd half. Combined 5-19 from deep for those three.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:59 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Lando Griffin wrote:

Thankfully, we already clinched the double bye, so all good there.

The missed wide open 3's by our shooters (Braden, Watson, Sheldon) preventing us from getting this down to single digits in the 2nd half. Combined 5-19 from deep for those three.

I hadn’t taken a look at the standings recently. Appreciate the correction. Great to know.

Agree, just not their night.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:16 pm 

A bad night

19 Turnovers, and gave up 24 points off of the TOs
22 fouls
57% FT

Bonnies were killing us at the line 89.7% and we put them at the line all night

Let's get loud at the Joe Friday, the boys will need it.

Last edited by goodknight on Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:18 pm 

This is embarrassing. I am calling it, time of death 7:42 pm. For the first time, I am doing my thoughts early:

1. Ugly: The entire game/night was ugly. There were ZERO redeeming aspects of the game. Yes, SBU had a crazy shooting night, especially from the FT line, but we played scared, our defense was atrocious. We fouled all night long and at the time of this writing, SBU was 24-25 at the line. Should have pressed SBU earlier in the second half. At time of writing, SBU 24 points off of turnovers. Our FTs were horrible, at time of writing we just missed a front end on a chance to cut it to 11. We are 11-17. Lack of execution, lack of intensity for most of the game. This looked like last year’s team. Sad thing is we jumped up 9-2 and SBU looked lost and then we started getting loose with the ball, series of empty possessions, began fouling, leading to a 14-0 run by SBU and game changed. Let SBU get confidence. WE ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO COME OUT LIKE WE DID TONIGHT AND EXPECT TO WIN.

2. Bad: See above. Looked like team was not ready to play, reading press clippings?

3. Jaden Dawson made 3 3’s . This is a good sign. OK, that’s the one redeeming factor. Just hard to find much.

Final Thoughts: Teams will lay eggs at times during the season. After winning 7 in a row, we were due for a clunker and trap game (looking ahead to Dayton?) and hopefully we can flush it, forget about it, get back to Chicago and have a couple of good practices, get in the Joe and get back on track. The goal is not turn this loss into a losing streak. I would think the team is upset and embarrassed by this performance. I expect a big bounce back Friday.

Final Stats: LUC: 37% from the floor (20-54), 32.3% (10-31) from the arc, most were late when we were out of it, 57.1% (12-21) from the line. We had 18 TOs and SBU scored a ton of points, at least 24. SBU: 45.1% (23-51) from the floor, 41.2% (7-17) from the arc, and 89.7% (26-29) from the line, including making their first 18. SBU turned it over 14 times, several late when we pressed. Game came down to TOs by use and the 26 FTs we gave them. Lost by 15 and they outscored us at line by 14 at the line. I would play them again and feel good about it. We got homered a little by officials and we can’t play any worse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:23 pm 

Think tonight deserves some perspective. And Drew just said it in his postgame, not a great result, Bonnies came ready to play but we're still playing for a conference title.

This team won 4 (!!!) conference games last year and we're sitting at 12-3 this year and clinched a double-bye with 4 games left. We'd be cutting off limbs if we were told we could be in this position after the non-con.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:40 pm 

I'm gonna be honest, now that we had found ourselves in the driver's seat for the title with 4 to play, I was emotionally invested in that outcome. It's great to have the double bye locked up but I want that title

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:45 pm 

Had a bad feeling about this one from the start. Huge game on Friday and eventually we were due for a crappy performance.

Really trying to tell myself that this doesn't mean anything for Friday. Would like to think that the previous 7 games before tonight are a better indicator of where we are at than tonight, and I think that's true. When is the last time Norris has had 5 TOs, and Norris/Edwards/Watson combine for 5/19 on 3s? Rubin only played 6 minutes. Plus Bonnies hit 41% from 3 on some tough looks. Valentine seemed surprisingly optimistic in his postgame interview as well.

Let's go get the biggest game of the season on Friday. Sold out general admission, sold out student section -- all eyes on the Joe Friday night on national TV against a ranked opponent. Flush this one and go get a win. Already have a double bye secured and we were never going to get an at large bid anyways. Bring on the Flyers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:08 pm 

Bottom line, sometimes you get clobbered. Tonight was that night. Someone said it above. Should we fear St. Bonaventura? No. Tonight LU had a lot of self-inflicted wounds. Eliminate even half of those, and this is a ball game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:47 am 

I had this one circled as problematic going back several weeks. Horrible spot for the Ramblers and it showed in the line at +4.5. Look ahead game on the road against a high NET team who is great at home.

Now we need lots of help to win the regular season.

A loss to Dayton really has no damage as there is no difference between the 2 and 3 seeds. First game opponent is basically luck of the draw. I'll take my shot against any of the third round opponents on a neutral floor where they are playing back to back. A win against Dayton keeps us in it, hoping for a big game from VCU and then help from GM in the last game of the season.

The visions of an at large bid and top 25 votes are over.

Give Dayton something to think about for the tournament.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next