It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:46 pm 

Wednesday, March 6, 2024 6:00 p.m.
Belk Arena, Davidson, N.C.

The Rambler Road Dogs are off the leash again for the last time in the regular season, Wednesday night at 6 p.m. at Belk Arena in Davidson. Riding high from their first win over a ranked foe in almost three years, Loyola still needs to win out and hope for a stumble by Richmond for a share of the A-10 title.

Davidson has been without their best player, David Skogman, for most of the conference season. But nevertheless, the Wildcats have played nearly every team tough as nails. Eight of their 11 conference losses have come by 5 points or fewer, and four of their last five losses have been between 1- and 3-point games. Their two losses to league-leading Richmond came in overtime and by three points in regulation. They lost a wild OT game at St. Bonaventure, 81-80, only a few days before the Ramblers lost there by 15 points.

As a result of their tight losses—even against some of the best teams in the league --- the metrics have rewarded Coach McKillop’s squad. At 5-11 in conference, 15-14 overall, the ‘Cats rank only 10 KenPom spots behind the 13-3 in conference, 21-8 overall Ramblers. In the first meeting between Loyola and Davidson at Gentile Arena on Feb. 4, Loyola won 76-61 behind four Ramblers in double-digits. The Davidson duo of Reed Bailey and Grant Huffman each scored 23 points in that one, but no other Wildcat has more than five.

The hallmark of Davidson’s game is taking care of the ball, making opponents work hard on long possessions, and physical play by big bodies inside. Their size is really impressive—they have the 14th highest average height in college hoops this season. But they have some weak spots, too. They are second from the bottom in the league in effective field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage, and offensive rebounding. Since losing their top three-point shooter David Skogman for the season to a foot injury on Jan. 20, they’re shooting only 28.5% as a team from behind the arc.

The likely starters Wednesday night are 6’4” senior guard Grant Huffman, 6’5” senior guard Connor Kochera, 6’7” freshman forward Bobby Durkin, 6’11” sophomore Reed Bailey, and 6’10” sophomore Sean Logan.

Huffman is the leader in scoring and assists at 12.9 and 5.1 respectively, plus he adds 5.1 rebounds per game. Kochera (out of Arlington Heights and St. Viator) averages 12.5 points and 4.3 rebounds. In the frontcourt, rookie forward Bobby Durkin is another Chicago-area player from Darien and Glenbard West; he averages 8.5 points and 4.6 boards. Bailey averages 12.8 points and 5.8 rebounds. Logan was the top frontcourt bench player before Skogman’s injury, and is their top shot-blocker with 1.6 blocks per game in addition to 2.6 points and 3.3 boards.

Coach McKillop rarely goes much deeper than eight players, so the bench consists of 6’3” sophomore guard Angelo Brizzi, 6’4” guard Archie Spadone, and 6’7” freshman forward Hunter Adam. They each average between 11 and 19 minutes per game, and Brizzi leads the bench players with 5.7 ppg.

The Ramblers still have an outside shot at the outright league title and #1 seed (5% according to our old friend Matt Hackman). A share of the regular season title is also possible if Richmond loses either at home to St. Joe’s or on the road at George Mason and the Ramblers win out. Dayton could still pass the Ramblers for #2 seed or drop to #4 depending on Tuesday night games.

But for the Ramblers, they’ll need to finish the conference season 7-2 on the road with a win at Davidson for the best outcome to hold true. It will be an uphill battle on Davidson’s Senior Night, which is their last home game of the season (and there’s also a $5 beer special for this game at Belk Arena).

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2024/3/ ... olina.aspx

Davidson game notes: https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/ ... ay-rematch

TV/Streaming video: ESPN + https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/eve ... =401596942

Radio/Streaming audio: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=181&type=Live

Live stats: https://davidsonwildcats.com/sidearmsta ... ll/summary

Vegas odds: Davison by 1.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:06 pm 

This is going to be a tough game. And it's in a classic "letdown" spot after an emotional win over UD.

As pointed out, Davidson has played teams very tough. They were neck-and-neck the entire game @Richmond. Spiders were bailed out by a questionable foul call at the very end. They also lost by just 2 at home vs a tough UMass team and by only 1 @Bonnies. While we beat them fairly comfortably at home, I think this has 3-5 point game written all over it. Just hope we are on the right side...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:40 pm 

Since its senior night and$5 beer, shouldn't it be BELCH arena?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:04 pm 

$5 beer sounds steep for college kids.

We are getting them at a good time, as they are on a three game losing streak and fading heavily at the end of the year. They are not particularly good at home either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:37 am 

Davidson is a 1 point favorite. I don't like the sound of that

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:31 am 

AMDG wrote:
Davidson is a 1 point favorite. I don't like the sound of that

I trust that after Bonaventure we're not overlooking this game. I know we're not trap game proof, but I feel good outside of my usual pessimism.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:31 pm 

The line opened at 1.5 and was shortly after that a Pick 'em. Now it's back around 1 point for Davidson. Not surprising, since Davidson has played so many close losses.... Their only losses by more than 5 points are to St. Mary's, Dayton (twice), and Loyola. Their other 10 losses were all 5 points or less.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:10 pm 

Well, we beat them up pretty good last time, but they were, if I am not mistaken, missing one of their bet players that day. We should not read into the score of the first meeting. I am sure sure Drew and the team are well aware of the poor outing against the Bonnies right before Dayton. They know what's at stake and have probably learned from the loss against the Bonnies. I am looking for us to come out and to be flying around the Court.

I have been thinking back over the season and it's amazing the progression of the group, including the Coaching staff. Different players on different nights, the breakfast club, the incredible sharing of the ball, the remarkable mental toughness, the defensive uptick, that has developed and the pure joy and love they show each other. One thing that does not get mentioned enough is the addition of some new coaches as well. The coaching staff even looks more connected and in tune we each other now. I think it all took longer that we would have liked and it certainly hurt our early season metrics, but I think now when were are locked in, we a tough out and not a team you want to face in the A10 or possibly the Big Dance or the NIT.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:29 pm 

Slow start. We're sleep walking early. Way too many easy baskets off transition and backdoor cuts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:08 pm 

First ten minutes had me worried about a letdown game. They really turned it on, especially in the 2nd half. Davidson has big issues on offense, but they play hard and don't fold (as evidenced by all their tough <5 point losses this year). 7-2 road conference record is so impressive.

And what a game by Rubin! Showed some real skills in the post. Confident and strong finishes.

Let's send off the seniors with a big win Saturday at a sold out Gentile!