It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:01 am 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/03/ ... valentine/

Paywall for it, but reading thru private browser should do the trick.

Great press for the team and lots of great info and insights.

Obviously, this quote confirms what we've been talking about with top guys hearing from NIL handlers, and the evil people:

Quote:
“We’ve been fortunate here that our best players haven’t left,” he said. “A lot of coaches hate it because their players are getting poached. And I feel the same way. I know my players Des Watson, Jayden Dawson and Miles Rubin have talked to me about people reaching out to their high school coaches and AAU coaches and even directly to them.”

We need to protect our guys from the bad people.

and another good one:

Quote:
The Ramblers’ turnaround this season has many speculating about how much longer Valentine will remain in Rogers Park and whether he would succeed Izzo, 69, at Michigan State.

“In college basketball, the reality of what happens is there’s only two scenarios and I’ve had both of these this year,” Valentine said. “You’re either about to get fired or you’re about to go somewhere else. Even if you’re the best … like Dan Hurley right now at UConn. All the talk with him is he’s going to the NBA. It doesn’t stop unless you’re like 65 and you’ve been at a job for 20 years.

“Earlier this year when we were losing, everybody thought that I was toast. But now I’m (supposedly) going to get this job and you can’t pay attention to that. It’s flattering, but I’ve proven I’m never going to chase money. When I was an assistant I had multiple Power Five offers but I opted to stay here because I like my life, the city and what we’ve built and are continuing to build.”

And lastly......

Quote:
“Our mindset is we’re chasing championships and that we’ve got to handle our business. It’s exciting to be in a hunt for a championship and living with that emotion, urgency and importance of having an opportunity to do that. Not taking your foot off the gas pedal there — and then also not taking your foot off the gas pedal as far as the growth that can happen individually from our players, me as a coach and then as a team.”

Hopefully something great happens next weekend. !!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:35 am 

Great stuff. Love Drew's attitude and approach and relationship with his guys. There seems to be a real trust between him and his players. He is friendly with them, but they also respect them and he isn't afraid to discipline when needed.

Hope we can keep him around for a while. I know MSU would be impossible for him to refuse, and I wouldn't blame him one bit, but I think Izzo has a few years left yet.

And this article should serve as a reminder to everyone: CONTRIBUTE THE THE NIL! No matter the amount. We will never be able to match the "big dogs" on a dollar-for-dollar basis, but we need to be in a position to offer guys like Rubin, Des, Dawson, etc. SOMETHING to return here. Schools are tossing around hundreds of thousands of dollars (some even millions).