It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transfer Portal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:08 pm 

Crazy stat: this season’s AP All-America 1st 3 teams (15 players) have a total of 10 players that are transfers. Wild.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:06 pm 

Rashaun Agee of Bowling Green just entered the portal. Kind of fits what the team is looking for: 2nd team all-MAC this year with 13.3ppg & 9.9 rebounds (led the MAC in O-REB), 6’8” PF from Bogan Technical HS. Wouldn’t be shocked if Loyola at least sniffs around this one.

Also, Loyola has confirmed reached out to Kent St PG Jalen Sullinger. From Columbus, OH (keep that gravy train coming in), Sullinger was the MAC’s 6th man last year (as a sophomore) and led the team in scoring this year with a little over 15ppg. Definitely talented but would be a departure from the pass first / high assist to TO PG play Loyola has had for (seemingly) the last 6-7 years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:50 am 

Our first domino has fallen. Ben Schwieger has entered the portal. Was really excited after his great freshman season. Fell behind some guys this year and never got a chance to show if he could build on his debut season.

Wish him the best. He'll be a starter and solid player on an MVC team, I think.

Now three spots open.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:58 pm 

I am surprised and not surprised. Surprised from the standpoint of his freshman year where he really did some good things. Does anyone remember his baseline drive and slam against UIC two years ago? and not surprised as Coach made a comment at the scrimmage that he was disappointed in him.
I was hoping he would stay..I think he will be like Ty Davis and we may look back and wish we still had him. I guess time will tell. However like Ty you cant blame him...players want to play. Hope things turn out well for him, seemed like a good kid and parents were super nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:20 pm 

It's a good move for Ben. He's a class act. Hope he lands in a good spot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:23 pm 

RE: Ben Schweiger…. Sucks that a kid who committed here, red shirted, cracked the starting lineup, sat most all of this year without any sign of bitching and moaning cannot make it here. I really enjoyed watching Ben play and wanted him to continue his development with us. His folks attended every game, home and road, as far as I could tell. I know he will find his fit and reward his new team with his play and his growth on and off the court.
Also, I am really at odds with the portal and the cash changing hands all over the place.
Truth exposed, the education is not in the top ten reasons for attending a school. This angers me. It is a sign of the times that these kids live in a world that prioritizes a narrow personal goal and a warped agenda of basketball first, and maybe only. Even more however is the culture that encouraged this development in the first place.
The grown ups in the room who created this environment have turned these student athletes into commodities, and the players will suffer for this. So the loyalty that I as a fan felt for “my school” was different than being a Bulls fan cheering for mercenary players who have no ties to Chicago. Perhaps no more…It will take awhile for me to deal with this stuff. I’m still feeling bad over the way our season ended, and I never felt this way going home after any pro game. Trying to find a reason for life long loyalty to the program….Why not jump the bandwagon for whoever is at the top or most enjoyable at the time?
Am I alone here?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:04 pm 

You are not alone. College sports have become professional sports. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:49 pm 

This Poulakidas kid lighting up Auburn for Yale is from Naperville. And their 7-footer’s a soph from Glencoe averaging 14 and 10. Let’s keep the Ivy League pipeline rolling. Go get ‘em, Drew!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:59 pm 

Ramblerguy wrote:
RE: Ben Schweiger…. Sucks that a kid who committed here, red shirted, cracked the starting lineup, sat most all of this year without any sign of bitching and moaning cannot make it here. I really enjoyed watching Ben play and wanted him to continue his development with us. His folks attended every game, home and road, as far as I could tell. I know he will find his fit and reward his new team with his play and his growth on and off the court.
Also, I am really at odds with the portal and the cash changing hands all over the place.
Truth exposed, the education is not in the top ten reasons for attending a school. This angers me. It is a sign of the times that these kids live in a world that prioritizes a narrow personal goal and a warped agenda of basketball first, and maybe only. Even more however is the culture that encouraged this development in the first place.
The grown ups in the room who created this environment have turned these student athletes into commodities, and the players will suffer for this. So the loyalty that I as a fan felt for “my school” was different than being a Bulls fan cheering for mercenary players who have no ties to Chicago. Perhaps no more…It will take awhile for me to deal with this stuff. I’m still feeling bad over the way our season ended, and I never felt this way going home after any pro game. Trying to find a reason for life long loyalty to the program….Why not jump the bandwagon for whoever is at the top or most enjoyable at the time?
Am I alone here?

It looks like the game of college basketball has been forever changed in D1. The mix of the NIL and the portal (which players have joined once their season has ended and before the big dance ends) is a monster in motion. If I have it right, it is also hard to point blame on any one entity. If you can, maybe just follow the money as the old saying goes so you can more easily point your disgust that way. But the end result stinks. Kids can leave good educational institutions for the dollar. No longer waiting a year to play. Loyalty becomes an old fashioned after thought. The NIT now has seen teams turning down invites as some coaches want to start recruiting. Coaches are faced with additional challenges to create a team and maintain it. And if money is the answer, what team's NIL has it, can get it, and can keep it to satisfy players coming and going. This reminds me of the George Steinbrenner days when deep pockets changed the ways of baseball. But this is college for crying out loud! As another common saying, leave our kids alone! I can say more but for now I will just leave it at that. No, you're DEFINITELY not alone. Lastly, I agree with your thoughts on Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:16 pm 

Professional sports have a cap- colleges do not have one. In fact, i believe there are no dollar limit that a player can receive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next