It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Next Up: Fordham!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:07 pm 

Now its the RAMS !! Will we be butted off the Tri-Borough Bridge ?? OR will we get our act together ?? What do you guys think ?? 63 posted a more lucid answer to my rant re our collapses--Are we done or what--
My own opinion is that we are not--but Sheeesh !! all these late losses that should be wins !! Wow !!

Anyway, let's hear from all !!

Thanks !!

Post subject: Re: Next Up !!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm 

Haven't posted in a while - hope all are well!

Fordham ( my alma mater) is remarkably inconsistent; Going into toddy's game against Monmouth, they are 6-3 against a handpicked schedule to make it look like the program is improving ( The Tom Pecora years have not been kind). Sometimes they look like giant killers ( victories on the road against a very good Manhattan team and a solid Colgate team), and utterly lost ( like a 50 pt drubbing by St. John's) and a 10 point loss to Sacred heart; Sacred freaking heart!!!) The difference - big men. Right now, Fordham is playing short handed - only two legit big men are available ( one left for personal reasons ( Ryan Canty) , but is now back but probably rusty; the other is hung up in NCAA partial qualifier land).

The Rams have been playing a four guard starting line up - the forwards really are guards. As a result of this, 3 pt defense is one of the best in the country; rebounding not very good. I believe Mandell Thomas, a 6'2" guard, is the leading rebounder. The guards can score - and they will shoot from three almost every time. The leader is Branden Frazier, a senior who just scored 27 in a win over Howard; the others to watch are 6'2" Jon Severe - a freshman who was NYC and NY State Plater of the year ( he's one of the best recruits Fordham has had in about twenty five years). In the bigs, watch sophomore Ryan Rhoomes; he's starting to come into his own; he was originally planning to go to SMU; changed his mind and came to us).

How to beat the Rams? Get the bigs in foul trouble - so push it inside as much as you can. Fordham has not been shooting well of late, so if the outside shots don't fall, Loyola will win. Attack the rim and they are easy baskets; for examples, go watch video of the St. John's game. I burned my copy; too painful to watch again.

I think the game will be on Fordham's website - go to fordhamsports.com and you should find it there. If it's broadcast, yo'll watch a game from the oldest D1 gym in America - what a treat!

Dan

Post subject: Re: Next Up: Fordham!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:59 pm 

Didn't post a preview to my own website since I helped out one of my New York buddies Jaden Daly with a preview for his site. It's more about me previewing Loyola for Fordham fans, but here's the link if you're interested in: http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

I covered Fordham last season, so I figured I'd chime in here. Like Dan said, Fordham has great guard play. Branden Frazier used to be a chucker, but I've heard that he is much more under control this season and has developed into a true point guard. He could compete for a spot on the A10 First Team.
Mandell Thomas was one of my favorite guys to watch in NYC last season. He was drive, he can shoot, he can defend, he can rebound. I remember Brad Stevens was extremely impressed with Thomas when Butler played there last year.
I've only seen Jon Severe on video, but he's an unbelievable outside shooter at 41.2%. Take away his outside game though, and you can really minimize him. He shoots worse than 30% on two-pointers.

Fordham's starting frontcourt is very young with two sophomores and prone to foul trouble as Dan said, but Rhoomes is developing into a very good big. He can be dominant if he stays out of foul trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:51 pm 

You beat me to it, Jesse - was about to post what you did for Jaden - good write up!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

6.0 to 7.0 dogs in this one. Fordham is 4-1 at home, but they managed to lose on their home court to Sacred Heart (who's 2-11 on the year). A win here would be important, and get us back to near .500 before leauge play starts. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:36 pm 

Me Also 63 !! Fingers , that is ! It is hard to figure our team--Only thing I can think of is we are simply afraid--afraid to take a key shot, afraid to foul--afraid to make a pass as we do in ALL of of our lost games.

Now then , Fordham is just the type of team we can and should handle. KEKE and the other guards must do just that GUARD !! Milton must drive and dish or drive and feed Thomas, Osborne or O'Leary--Its all right there with this game. Turk must hit early--rerally early.

There is a WIN to be had here---but like 63--My fingers are crossed.

GO RAMBLERS__THE WHOLE WAY !! PUHLEEZE !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:02 pm 

I just payed for the 24 hr video access fee. This better be worth my time...I'm getting tired of the same old excuses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

And the technical issues begin...

No sound.

Say what you want about the Horizon League but at least their live streaming of the games was golden! Every live-stream I've watched this season has been a piece of crap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:17 pm 

Ramblers are playing pretty sloppy down low, but on a positive note, we seem to be playing with a lot of energy and intensity.

Fordham also looks pretty sloppy offensively. We're doing a decent job preventing them from getting any sort of rhythm or continuity early on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Much better management of minutes, so far. Cody Johnson has already played 6 minutes. Turk is on fire from 3, 3-5 so far.