It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:29 pm 

What a great afternoon. LU actually put together about 35 min of really good basketball.
1. Milton played a complete game. He did a lot of things that just show up in the stat sheet.
a) help defense
b) used screens properly
c) ran the floor well
d) is starting to learn how to move without the ball
2. Turk had a special day.
a) found open spots on the floor
b) put the ball on the floor and attacked the hoop at times. really an important thing to do when you’re hitting that jumper
3. Rebounding by committee
a) everybody chipped in here. The biggest add-on you can have in basketball is a guard(s) that rebound.
4. Cody
a) played well defensively, but stills needs to work on some footwork issues
b) rebound a little better and become more vocal on D.
A little more playing time and this becomes a reality and a big boost for Loyola bigs
c) showed a lot of effort
5. Porter
a) showed some real patience with this team today. He took some good timeouts. LU scored coming out of those timeouts. He wasn’t so quick with the hook. Took some chances with combinations we hadn’t seen regularly this season that worked very well.
6. Have more but getting tired of typing
How about that, something positive from me!!!
My thanks to Linda, Kathy, and Frank for putting up with me today

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 pm 

86, great to have you with us.
We didn't put up with you, you put up with us.
Anytime my friend. Your inside knowledge of the game certainly makes it more fun to watch.
Next time we can go out for burgers. The roads were just too bad today. Glad you could make it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:08 pm 

A view from the cheap seats. ..

There are a advantages to being Roggirl. I could stumble through the snow to the gym from my Rog house.

I haven't posted in a long time. I found the unaccountable snobbery and, hostility from some MVC sources to be abhorrent. To this day I do not understand the near-euphoria of some of the Ramblermaniacs about our being in the MVC . But I respect the fact that many of you know more about college basketball than I ever will.

The Missouri State fans were about a third of the crowd. We had a lot of little grade school kids running amok.

What a fun game. The team was having fun. They were exuberant and loose. Moser was less in-your Face than usual. The other team had no luck.

We won. We won. It was great to see London wasting time at the end of the game because we were 30 points ahead. Ramblermaniacs, let's savor this, at least for a day (or two).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:11 pm 

Thanks a bunch guys--We get FARGO from you tonight through Tuesday !! 12 inches and -3 degrees--Oh Well !

Now then --The Game ! Remember, we were 2-3 point dogs at home --Well. we showed today everything I have been wishing for--Can I get back on the bus ??Porter really did well by the boys today and did they ever deliver !! This team is jelling--
86 'splained things perfectly--And to think we are YOUNG but GOOD. I truly think we will improve.

Everything seemed to work--Five guys in double figures--Turk hitting often and early got the BEAR defensive clamps off Milton---
Cody was brilliant and he is only getting better-- Porter has the BIGS to aid us now. Now let us hope he continues this method--BIGS !!

It is only one game--BUT we did mash a good team. Reminded me of the olden days---Now if we can string a few ---starting with the Salukis !

OH and by the way, KeKe was an improved guard this day--He was good to start with but getting better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to roggirl for posting!

I remember when we had the New Year's blizzard in 1999, and I trudged over from Newgard and Arthur to see Larry Farmer's conference opener with 300 of my best friends and 4900 empty seats. Loyola beat Butler, and Wright State the next night, to open the season 2-0 in conference after going 2-12 in non-con.

I guess I'm one of those people who pumped up MVC membership against your inclinations. Sorry if you think I did so without reason, but I am still firmly convinced that it was a HUGE upgrade for Loyola-- not only in terms of men's college basketball, but for all the other sports as well. Today was not a good example of the effect of being in the MVC-- because of the snow and weather problems-- but you will see later in the year how meaningful it is. The Bradley, Illinois State, Wichita State, and Southern Illinois games are likely to have considerably more people and energy than we expected for the likes of Youngstown, Wright State, Cleveland State, and Green Bay. I think the students will react to the increased intensity and become a much bigger part of the attendence puzzle by the end of the year. Please, hang with us as we adapt to the conference, and you will see a dramatic and positive improvement in the energy and excitement of game day.

So glad that you're on the board, going to games, and posting your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:56 pm 

Hey !! Welcome back Gal !1 Remember ? We met on that wonderful Saturday last year when I rec'd those undeserved accolades-- It was neat meeting you.

We used to have nut-cases on our Board during our time in the HL---Most were from Butler then--. These small people are all around us--The MVC only has a share of these idiots. BUT on the other hand Look at SUB and BEAR !! Here is team was embarrassed by us and what does he do ?? What classy folks always do--He Manned up as the saying goes. We saw little of that in the HL --Some but not a lot--A nice couple from Cle St and the Panther from Milw---There were more but---

The one thing--the teams in the MVC are generally all these cities have--They tend to get possessive --We can handle that.

Anyway, we took a huge step forward this day. Wemay not win all the time, but I doubt that we will be door mats either.

If we keep this up , I shall start in again saying that--We have too many guns to be stopped-- Not ready yet--BUT there is light shining a tad brighter down the road.

Make no mistake-, today's win was MASSIVE--but only one--but it did send a message.

GO RAMBLERS !! One medal for GAL for trudging all the way to the game !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 am 
Site Admin

You are a very good spokesperson, Brot.

For all the people that still doubt the move to the MVC, just wait until large numbers of Bradley, Illinois State, and Southern Illinois fans show up at the Joe (er, The Boxcar), and the Loyola students react to their presence. When Wichita State comes to town, there might be scalpers outside.

Either way, Loyola fans are going to have to up their game. No more sleepy, somnambulent presence in body but not mind--- this is for real. We need everyone on their feet and hollering. That means you, friend, whether you're making golf claps or screaming at the top of your lungs.

This is real now. The student-athletes deserve our support.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15 pm 

Thanks for the nice words, 63--I say again , its ONLY ONE GAME, but what a game it was !!! Our guys reminded me of the 'olden" days--

We had a ton of guys out there doing everything correctly--or so it seemed to me--86 is better at the nuts and bolts.

A lot of stuff impressed me but of all the 'goodies" TWO items really lit me up
---CODY and his 'BIG" presence-- He is NO finesse player--Just plainly TOUGH--as the Bears found out down low
---Devon Turk doing it all offensively--We expect his THREES-- but his slashing to the hoop, getting smacked and then nicely hitting the freebies--He appeared to be the complete offensive player--WOW--We now appear to have three in Milton Keke and Turk.

The size of the score differential--32 points !! HUGE for the swagger factor.

I personally do not give a hoot what the folks on other boards say --We hopefully punched our ticket to the VALLEY in these opening games.

If I can be a tad "corny"-The WOLF IS ON THE PROWL--

GO RAMBLERS !!