It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:00 p.m.
Charles Koch Arena, Wichita, Kansas

Wichita State was predicted to be a handful on the national stage this season coming off their Final Four appearance in last year’s NCAA Tournament, but I doubt even the most rabid Shocker fans expected a #4 ranking (#3 in the Coaches poll) and a school record-smashing 21-0 start to the season. Coincidentally, the Shockers’ opponent in their 22nd game of the year, Loyola, has twice started the season 21-0, but lost in their 22nd game both times (1939 and 1963).

WSU owns an 18-9 advantage in the rivalry, which dates back to 1963. From the 1963-64 season through 1973-74, the Ramblers and the Shockers played a home and home each year, with most of the Loyola home games played at Chicago Stadium.

Thanks to Ramblermania.net’s resident Shocker fan and expert, SubGod22, here’s the rundown on WSU’s deep and talented 2014 squad:

PG - Fred VanVleet - 5'11" 194 SO. - Averages 32 minutes a game. 12.5 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 5.1 APG, 1.9 SPG. Shooting 42% from three and 83% at the line. His assist to turnover ratio is almost 5/1. He's a smart PG that sees the court well and even though he "lacks" quickness, he has a way of getting by defenders. Can finish in the paint and shoot from anywhere. Doesn't hunt his shot and is a pass first PG. Takes great care of the ball.

SG - Ron Baker - 6'3" 213 SO. - Averaging just under 30 minutes a game. 13.1 PPG, 4 RPG, 3.1 APG, 1.7 SPG. Shooting 86% from the line and 38% from deep but that reflects his struggles when dealing with the ankle injury. He's got a very quick release and isn't afraid to shoot out to around 30 ft. Smart player though and primary backup at PG. Tough defender and more than a shooter. He's not afraid to drive and get to the line. Strong kid.

SF - Tekele Cotton - 6'2" 209 SO. - Averaging about 30 minutes a game. 9.4 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 2.3 APG, 1.1 SPG. Not a great shooter but is capable of hitting open shots. Does his best work with a floater within 10 feet. May be the strongest player on the team and arguably the best defender in the NCAA. Has shut down a number of top scorers the past few years. Crazy athletic too as you might remember his posterization of John Jones of ISU the other night. Expect him to guard Doyle.

PF - Cleanthony Early - 6'8" 219 SR. - Averaging 27 minutes per game. 16 PPG, 6.6 RPG. Shoots around 35% from three and 83% at the line. He's a streaky outside shooter and if he hits early watch out. Also plays well with his back to the basket and has really improved his ability to drive the ball and finish at the rim or get fouled. He's long and athletic and causes matchup problems for a lot of teams.

C - Chadrack Lufile - 6'9" 266 SR. - Averaging about 17 minutes a game. 6 PPG, 5 RPG. Shooting about 56% from the field. Strong and athletic big that is good around the basket on both ends. He can also step out to about 15 feet and be effective.

Reserves:

SF/PF - Evan Wessel - 6'5" 215 SO. - Averages about 13 minutes per. Started last year before he broke his thumb and had some ligament damage. Tough defender and rebounder. Hasn't found his shot this year. Only plays PF if we go small or have major foul trouble.

PF/C - Darius Carter - 6'7" 235 JR. - Averages almost 19 minutes per. He has started a number of games this year and could replace Lufile there on Tuesday. Averages 8 and 5 and as a JUCO AA is finally finding himself and being a little more of a force on the offensive end lately. He's really good around the basket but can also face up to about 15. Very good athlete with a 7 foot wingspan.

SG - Nick Wiggins - 6'6" 192 SR. - Averages about 15 minutes per and only about 5 PPG. Is a great athlete though and can attack the rim. He came in as a shooter and hit about 42% last year but only shooting around 25% this year. But another long and athletic player who may be the fastest guy on the active roster.

C - Kadeem Coleby - 6'9" 251 SR. - Averages about 13 minutes per game. Began the season as a starter. He's another big and athletic body in the paint, and does most of his work on the block. Coleby is probably WSU’s best post defender, but has been battling turf toe, which has slowed him down not impeded his elevation. He and Lufile lead the team in blocks.

SF - Derail Green - 6'7" 208 FR. - Only averaging 5 minutes per game but has been playing more recently. He's a rangy shooter that's hitting 40% from deep. Defense is what has kept him from more playing time but that's been coming along. His lateral quickness doesn't compare to Early's, but it's not horrible. The kid is a sniper though, so don't leave him open when he's in.

Lufile, Carter and Coleby were described by Len Elmore as the Three Headed Dragon. For the most part they're pretty interchangeable, and while none of them are consistently dominant, together they average 18 PPG and 12.5 RPG. But the Shockers’ strength is guard play-- and everything plays off of defense. The WSU guards can play tight or over play at times because the team defense is the best in the MVC, and the big men are capable of blocking or altering shots in the paint. The Shockers push the ball hard off of misses and even after made baskets.

Coach Gregg Marshall (7th season at WSU, 160-70 record) runs a motion offense with a lot of set plays in the half court. Defensively, the Shocks are mostly man to man. The full court pressure is normally a token press just to slow teams down and give them less time to run a half court offense. At times, WSU drops into what is called a “Fresno Zone,” which works as a 1-1-3 matchup zone.

Opening Vegas line: WSU by 21

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 128aaa.pdf

WSU game notes: http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.d ... =209387324

WSU message board: http://shockernet.net/forum/forum.php

Streaming Video (ESPN3): http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id ... hita-State

Loyola audio stream: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/luc.portal#

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 pm 

Whelp, we're having all kinds of problems getting to WSU. I hope that isn't a bad omen for us...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 pm 

63, how come you never called me or GoRamblers a resident expert on anything? We know lots of stuff too.

Also, I'm sure you've noticed who WSU's stadium is named for. How about riffing on his Tea Party connections just for old-time's sake?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

swellafelon wrote:
63, how come you never called me or GoRamblers a resident expert on anything? We know lots of stuff too.

Go = Resident expert on Drake, City Politics, Student Section. Swellafelon = Legal correspondent, resident expert on Nepotism, Puns, Player Body Language, and Smartassitry

swellafelon wrote:
Also, I'm sure you've noticed who WSU's stadium is named for. How about riffing on his Tea Party connections just for old-time's sake?

I KNOW you've been waiting patiently for this moment, biding your time ever since we joined the league, haven't you, you pyromaniac...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:39 pm 

Rambler63 wrote:
Swellafelon = Legal correspondent, resident expert on Nepotism, Puns, Player Body Language, and Smartassitry

Don't forget Coaching!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm 

Rambler63 wrote:
Go = Resident expert on Drake, City Politics, Student Section.

I'll take it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm 

I don't want to brag, but I twerk pretty good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:06 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
I don't want to brag, but I twerk pretty good too.

Someone caught a clip of Swella's twerk practice session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjlZWfcyQc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:55 pm 

Re:Swellafelon

"SMARTASSITRY". So that's what it's called....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am 

Getting back on topic, I see that this morning's betting line still has the Ramblers a 21 point dog, which sounds about right.

I think the Ramblers can keep it respectable if they hold their own on the boards, stay out of foul trouble, shoot threes at 40+%, and Milton Doyle can operate against Cotton's physical defense.

My prediction is that the Ramblers will keep it close the first half, but gradually wilt the second half and barely beat the spread, losing 82-63.

I sure hope I'm wrong, and will gladly eat crow if I am.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next