It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:14 pm 

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:00 p.m.
Ford Center, Evansville, Ind.

Evansville is a very hard team to figure in 2014-15. Everyone acknowledges they have the best inside-out combo in the MVC behind the league’s leading scorer D.J. Balentine and leading rebounder (by far) Egidiju Mockevicius. They have yet to prove they’re very good in true road games, where they’re 2-1 on the season, including an overtime loss their last time out against Indiana State. But the Aces are very solid at home, highlighted by a win over #23 Northern Iowa in their conference opener and a 7-1 home record.

The Aces are likely to start 6’10” junior center Mockevicius, 6’2” junior guard Balentine, 6’5” guard/forward Blake Simmons, 6’6” guard Mislav Brzoja, and 6’0” sophomore guard Jaylon Brown. Starter Adam Wing, a 6’4” junior guard, has been sidelined the past three games with a strained quadricep, and may not play. First off the bench is sometimes starter Duane Gibson-- a 6’3” defensive-minded guard-- and 6’7” senior forward/center Jaylon Moore receives considerable court time.

Evansville is the best overall shooting team in the MVC, especially from inside the arc. They are 5th nationally in field goal percentage, 6th in assists, and 21st in two-point field goal percentage. They are active passers and take advantage of aggressive driving and dishing. They get to the free throw line often (more than 22 times per game on average), and connect on more than 75% of their freebies, which ranks 13th nationally. On defense, they’re well below average in the league, giving up 64.7 points per game, ranking low in steals, and allowing the third-worst field goal percentage from their opponents.

How does one beat Evansville when they’re at home? Only one team has done it, Murray State, and it took 32 points from a 6’2” freshman and 58% three point shooting. However, the Aces are 1-2 in games where Balentine has been held to fewer than 17 points, winless in the two games where one or more starting players have fouled out, and winless in all three games where the opponent had 22 or more trips to the free throw line. The Aces typically only go seven deep, with super-heavy minutes being played by Balentine (averaging 38.9 minutes in his last 7 games). When Mockevicius gets into foul trouble or takes a breather, they rely on Moore (and sometimes Howard) to man the inside, and when the smaller subs are denied the ball the Aces have big trouble. In the six games where Mockevicius has had four or more fouls, the Aces are 4-2, with two of the games and one of the wins going to overtime.

And here’s another counter-intuitive anomaly: in games where Simmons scores in double figures, the Aces are 4-3 (and forced to overtime twice), but a perfect 7-0 in games where he scores 10 or less. It’s a similar pattern with other players—the Aces are 7-1 when Brzoja scores less than 10, but only 4-2 when he scores more than 10. They’re 0-1 when Moore scores more than 10, and 1-1 against D-1 teams (with the win being forced to OT) when Wing scores 10 or more. Evansville is a team that not only relies on two key players, they’re a team that doesn’t function all that well when Balentine and Mockevicius aren’t being heavily relied upon.

The Ramblers are coming off a loss at #23 Northern Iowa, in which they showed some tenacity, energy and depth against a team that is very tough to beat on their home court. Evansville is less dominant at home. They’re coming off a hard-fought loss against an inferior team that may have shaken their confidence, and they have a major contributor who is unlikely to play. Moreover, the Ramblers have played Evansville close in recent years, losing two games last year by a combined eight points and winning a Bracket Buster road win and return win in 2005. The key to a Loyola victory will be limiting Balentine’s scoring, denying the ball on interior passing, slowing the tempo, and getting to the free throw line. Getting Mockevicius into foul trouble and taking advantage of the Ramblers’ three point shooting advantage would also help. The Aces may not have a defensive answer for a player like Milton Doyle; Christian Thomas averaged 18 ppg and Joe Crisman 11.5 ppg against the Aces last season. If the Ramblers put together a good game plan and execute it, a win would go far toward achieving a fifth place (or possibly better) finish in the league.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 106aaa.pdf

Evansville game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... a_evan.pdf

Television: Comcast Sports Net +, ESPN 3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index) outside Chicago viewing area

Vegas odds: Evansville by 5

Last edited by JCT on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm 

Great preview. If we win at Evansville, I don't see how we finish worse than 5th in the league, but we will be the underdog and we are still looking for our first MVC road win. Tough game, but I'm looking forward to it.

My Comcast listing shows a Bulls game Wednesday. Anybody know if this will be on TV in Chicago?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:48 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
My Comcast listing shows a Bulls game Wednesday. Anybody know if this will be on TV in Chicago?

Mine shows the same thing, and I'm well outside the Chicago area.

ESPN is showing it will also be shown on ESPN3.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:06 pm 

It could be on Comcast SportsNet Plus, their auxiliary channel. In most markets, it's channel 101 or 102.

Edit: Yep, that's it. Checked my listings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am 

Nice. Thanks. For me, that channel was showing as off-air, but I'm sure it will be on. If not, ESPN3 works for me.

Swella - You'll want to use this link: thisisavirus.xu/tv/all-ramblers/live/january/6/WHYAREYOUCLICKINGTHIS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:33 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Swella - You'll want to use this link: thisisavirus.xu/tv/all-ramblers/live/january/6/WHYAREYOUCLICKINGTHIS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 am 

I totally deserve that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:54 am 

Speaking of computer ineptitude... I can't seem to link my ATT.Yahoo email account with Windows Live Mail.

Any suggestions? It's all about Pop3s and SMTPs and Ports. Seem to be able to receive email, but not send it.

GoRamblers and ahunte are my go-to computer guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:02 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Speaking of computer ineptitude... I can't seem to link my ATT.Yahoo email account with Windows Live Mail.

Is there one email you prefer? The simple answer would be to forward incoming email from the "old" account to the new account. Most of the email services offer that option.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 am 

My problem is that a lot of websites have email links that when you click on them you get a new window to compose your email to them on Widows Live. When I hit send, the window disappears but they don't receive my email.

(I gotta go now. Let's take this conversation to IM. Will be back in a few hours. Thanks.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next