It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 pm 

I didn't realize White was getting those kind of minutes. The short leash makes more sense now. Thank you.

Our offense is miles ahead of what it was last year, and I don't mean to imply otherwise. But I am so fearful that the success of the season so far will prove to be unsustainable. I would hate to see regression in the second half of the season, and I worry that the wasted offensive possessions we saw in the second half portends regression. We are certainly 12-4, but we're hardly world beaters. 9 times out of 10, we're going to lose to Wichita State. Why not try and hit them with a transition-heavy and three-point-laden offense? Worst thing that can happen is we lose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:47 pm 

Just some thoughts from one who does NOT know the finer points of the game--just one who is basking in our success after so many many years.
--We were up five at the half-- great job.
--Shockers came out and shot SEVENTY -TWO per cent after the break. THAT was the killer ! Few if any teams can overcome that. It was quite a performance by a fine team.
---We did just fine with what we had and what we did not have--Montel
--Our offense IS built around Milton as it should be--When he sits we do have ample subs to "hold the fort" as it were. Last year we did not--Big difference plus I feel this team cares.
--Kiki--two errors --Fortunately PM had ample replacements. FINALLY.
This Shocker team is better than we are FOR NOW--We are getting there. ( Let's all admit that next year was to be the year) PM's boys have surprised us all.
I like what PM has done--I especially like what this team is doing--

Now then--
--Milton Devon and Montel--Are they ready to go Wednesday--??
--Can Christian re-awake--??
Will Jay continue his fine play ??

If all this is positive, I give Dogs little if any chance--

I like our position--one year early--

Final thought--SEVENTY TWO per cent by a great team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:31 pm 

Bear wrote:
I've seen a couple comments about the ESPNU broadcast, but does anyone who watched on TV have any other insights? We seemed loud inside Gentile, did that carry over on TV? How full did Gentile look, and did they really mostly focus on Shocker fans? How did the analysts treat us--unknown underdog vs a powerhouse? A young, on the rise team? Two random midmajors slugging it out?

It was a comparatively huge spotlight for us, so I'm curious how we came off. Regardless, fun game and a treat to be at.

From a viewer's perpsective:
-They started the broadcast before the starting lineups. The place was still filling out, but their endzone shot was from the northwest corner of the gym, which focused on the GA 200 sections underneath the championship banners. Those 3 or 4 sections had about 15 people in them tops at that time. It looked like more showed up as the game progressed, but the first impression was pretty bad. I also honestly think that their yellow is brighter than our gold, which makes it stick out more. And our maroon blended in with their black, which didn't help the optics as well.

-They rarely showed the student section. From that beginning camera shot, the student section was basically out of view. Coming out of their commercials, they showed one maybe two Loyola students and about 40 shocker fans. If you were wearing shocker gear, you were basically guaranteed to get on TV.

-During play, you could only see the first two rows behind the benches. Directly behind our bench were 2 rows of WSU fans. I believe those seats are usually for recruits and their families. I have no idea how those fans got those seats. If they bought them online, someone in the AD has to close that loophole. If they walked up in their shocker gear and bought those seats, someone in the ticket office should be fired. The optics were horrendous on a nationally televised game.

-When we went on our run in the 1st half, it seemed pretty loud. But when they scored, it sounded like a sizable contingent for a team that is a flight away and has one kind-of-but-not-really local player.

-The announcers treated us fairly. The color guy's (Adams?) shtick seems to be overly-enthusiastic, which was pretty grating. There were some minor screw-ups as well (Vic Royce instead of Rouse). But he was very complimentary of LU and this year's team and by no means a WSU homer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm 

Hm. So not ideal, but I guess all we can do when we get the spotlight is make it exciting--and we did that. Thanks for the input!

*Swaggy T Fan Club is not associated with Loyola University Chicago or Devon "Swaggy T" Turk; it is not owned or operated by employees or representatives of the entities mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:34 am 

Wait.....How do I join the Swaggy T fan club? Is there an application form?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:40 am 

Socrates wrote:
Wait.....How do I join the Swaggy T fan club? Is there an application form?

And what are the benefits? Do we get t-shirts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:07 pm 

Bear wrote:
David didn't post up Goliath.

Great line!

Here's a long but very good article from the New Yorker about how David beats Goliath in basketball, and in other human endeavors.

http://gladwell.com/how-david-beats-goliath/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 pm 

The whole Gladwell book is worth a read. Pretty fun, especially the basketball chapter. Vivek Ranadive now owns the Sacramento Kings. Cool insight into Pitino as well. Maybe we should send a copy to Porter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:55 pm 

Swella -- I'm willing to make another hot dog wager. I'm confident we will draw at least 450 people for Wednesday night's game against UNI. Care to make it interesting?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13